Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal?

Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:08 PM

I'm trying to remove the drivers side rear deck panel on a 2016 Skeeter FX 21. This is the small panel to the starboard side the battery compartment. Trying to get better access to the wiring path so I can pull a transducer cable for some new electronics. I'm hoping removing this panel will give me better access. I found 3 screws around the edge and removed them. There are some phillips head screws in the middle of that panel but they just spin. I'm thinking they may hold some components to the underside of that panel. Even with the screws out, that panel will not budge. Can it be removed? If so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I'm trying to remove the drivers side rear deck panel on a 2016 Skeeter FX 21. This is the small panel to the starboard side the battery compartment. Trying to get better access to the wiring path so I can pull a transducer cable for some new electronics. I'm hoping removing this panel will give me better access. I found 3 screws around the edge and removed them. There are some phillips head screws in the middle of that panel but they just spin. I'm thinking they may hold some components to the underside of that panel. Even with the screws out, that panel will not budge. Can it be removed? If so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

There should be 4 t20 torc heads that hold the panel on. They’re usually hidden in the carpet well. You can open the middle rear lid and reach under that piece you’re trying to remove and find the general area they are in
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:28 PM

I am pretty sure you don’t have to do all that just to get a wire thru there. A fish tape is what you need.
Posted By: RCxpress

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:32 PM

Yes this panel can be removed. I am fairly certain that there are 4 screws that secure this panel to the deck grid. The screws are located near the corners of the panel.

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:38 PM

Thanks. It's dang sure hidden good. The previous owner mounted a heading sensor on that panel. Maybe the last screw is hidden under that somewhere. I could not find a screw on the starboard side near the transom......Thanks again!

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by slim 285
I am pretty sure you don’t have to do all that just to get a wire thru there. A fish tape is what you need.

Tried that. Original plan was to tie a pull wire to the old transducer cable and pull it thru. The transducer cable is zip tied somewhere that is out of my reach. I can't get it to budge and certainly don't want to tear anything up. I need some more access. I've installed a bunch of different graphs. This one is testing my patience.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 02:15 PM

Pull and extra wire or string when you do so next time it will be easier.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 03:53 PM

Throw your fish tape out and go get the little fiberglass rods you screw together. Works 100% better than a fish tape. Harbor freight sells them.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 05:33 PM

Fish tape and pull the extra rope to make the next job easier.
Posted By: KevinHebert

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 06:49 PM

Mine has machine screws, phillips heads with lock nuts underneath.

Try a straightened clothes hanger. Loop the end and tie some weedeater line to it. Fish from side opening under console to the back of your boat. As Chris B mentioned, pull an extra piece of line through when you pull your transducer cable.
Posted By: SNAKEBIT

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 06:59 PM

i use a small diameter plastic pipe/pvc/acrylic.
work it thru and feed your line thru it to pull the cable !!
Posted By: woody123

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 10:46 PM

Throttle cable from old boat, Start from shilter panel

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 10:54 PM

Got it off. Cable pulled. Thanks again!
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Skeeter FX21 Rear Deck Panel Removal? - 05/14/19 11:30 PM

That's my only complaint with my 2018 ZX250. They are really setting you up for failure big time if something goes wrong in that battery compartment when you are on the lake in dangerous weather.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum