Texas Fishing Forum

Lake leon insight

Posted By: mrhtx

Lake leon insight - 04/23/19 06:39 PM

Have a little 2 day trip to visit the wife's family and me and the boy were going to sneak off and Fish Lake Leon
Just don't know much or anything at all about the lake or how to fish it I'm kind of hoping to have a decent trip with the boy
Would anybody be willing to offer up some advice/info or technique or spots or just anything at all
Feel free to p.m. if you prefer Id just like to put some fish in the boat and enjoy the trip with the boy
Thanks in advance
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/23/19 07:09 PM

Blue Fleck Power worm, on the points, and they have been known to crush the Alabama Rig as well in April.
I caught this big one a few years ago during a tourney there on an A - Rig. [Linked Image]

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/23/19 07:12 PM

It was literally the biggest bodied bass I have ever caught, but she only went 8.98 lbs

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/23/19 11:53 PM

What a toad and ya I figured it she would have went more, how you rigging that power worm and that for your reply

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/24/19 12:05 PM

Just Texas Rig it with the lightest weight you can stay on the bottom with.
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/24/19 01:34 PM

Nice catch!

Wonder how much rain that lake just got? Seen hubbard opened some gates.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/24/19 03:22 PM

You didn’t say when y’all were going to Leon. If it’s this weekend I would guess the upper lake @ the Chop-A-Block boat ramp on 2214 where the Leon River enters the lake is going to be chocolate milk with floaters for a little while assuming Eastland got the same flood we received here in Glen Rose. Looked like it pretty much included everyone within a couple hours of here. If I was going in the next few days or this weekend I would probably plan on putting in at the dam. Heck, some people look for the muddiest water though. Never know. Good luck.

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/24/19 05:24 PM

Yes it will be tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/25/19 02:36 AM

Anybody offer anything up ? Any areas.

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/25/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
You didn’t say when y’all were going to Leon. If it’s this weekend I would guess the upper lake @ the Chop-A-Block boat ramp on 2214 where the Leon River enters the lake is going to be chocolate milk with floaters for a little while assuming Eastland got the same flood we received here in Glen Rose. Looked like it pretty much included everyone within a couple hours of here. If I was going in the next few days or this weekend I would probably plan on putting in at the dam. Heck, some people look for the muddiest water though. Never know. Good luck.

Is the road at the dam still closed?

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/25/19 07:01 PM

Tell me where to catch some fish and ill check....lol

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/25/19 07:48 PM

Ramp is open @ dam. Don’t know about any road closures but you can get around to dam from multiple directions.
Posted By: needmofish

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/25/19 10:47 PM

The road over the dam was closed last week.

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/26/19 11:01 PM

Thanks guys

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/29/19 01:47 PM

Wonder how Leon is since all the rains? Any reports?

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/29/19 08:08 PM

Drove over Leon Friday on my my way to & from Hubbard Creek. Upper lake by Chop-A-Block public ramp on Highway 2214. Lake looked several feet past full and off colored but was not close to as bad as I expected. Not what I would call muddy. Heck, the main lake on Hubbard was actually clear.
Posted By: trickworm50

Re: Lake leon insight - 04/30/19 01:14 PM

I fished Leon Sunday afternoon. Started fishing around 2:00 pm and unloaded at the dam. The lake is obviously full but water still had good clarity. I only got to fish until 5:00 pm but managed 7 bass, biggest was a 3.8 lbs. I caught her up shallow but the rest I caught off of two main lake points in deeper water 12-15 ft. Senko was the lure of choice.

Re: Lake leon insight - 05/02/19 04:06 PM

Wonder how clear it is now? Been a ton of rain out west. May try and go tmrw since i'll be out that way. Anyone know the condition of the lake as of now?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum