Texas Fishing Forum

Caddo Lake Advice

Posted By: e_stallman

Caddo Lake Advice - 01/09/19 07:10 PM

My dad and I have planned a Bass fishing trip to Caddo lake the week of march 11-15th. We are staying at Shady Glade resort and will be in a 16 foot jon boat with a 9.9 motor. My dad has been there once before and could not stop talking about how beautiful it is, so I am joining him this year. I know most people keep pretty quiet about all their honey holes so I am not asking for that, but any advice that anyone would want to share would be greatly appreciated. I have found several articles and some posts in other forums. What I have gathered so far is the vegetation can be a killer sometimes, but even if you don't catch a fish its worth the trip on shear beauty alone. The suggested places to fish that keep showing up are "Hog Wallow" and "Trout Pond' area. Looking at a map it seems like they are both close to where we are staying and we can get there with the small boat and 9.9 motor.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Eric Stallman
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/09/19 09:00 PM

You are hitting it at what should be a great time! Right now the lake is really high so hopefully that is flushing out the salvania... You are correct the areas mentioned are near Shady Glade. I would suggest running north thru government ditch as its very scenic and you are pretty close to it. If you take the first "right" after going thru the ditch I have had decent luck fishing that canal all the way to were it splits off. Now fair warning there is a boat row along it so if you hear a boat coming watch out! If you go a little south of Shady Glade there is a place called Goose prairie that can be good. With a small boat and motor if its windy I would avoid the main lake stuff and stay up in the trees. I'd throw a frog and chatterbait and cover water.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/09/19 10:48 PM

Pm sent
Posted By: mudd

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 02:58 AM

March fishing on Caddo bring u a big June bug senko and a big soinnerbait double willow leaf. Drop troller at shady glade and fish right out in front of it. Then follow the boat lane in front of shady to the north and there are several small pockets that open up. But honestly u can’t go wrong fishing hog wallow. Amish springs, basin and goose prairie. If u like ok to the left side of Rudy’s long circle drawn on his map there is a big pocket. That will probably get you an 8 plus if hog wallow doesn’t. Fish that senko dead still.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 03:33 AM

Fish the Oxbow in the Gov. Ditch area. Start at the top, and let the current take you around. There are a couple of deep cut-outs where you can anchor down. However, it is mostly a moving pattern, work the willows hard. It is out of the main boat roads, but there is some traffic from the tour guides. I think it is some of the most scenic part of the lake!

I also agree with fishing the river and cuts around Shady Glade.
Posted By: Mgfan58

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 06:30 AM

Don’t order the full size Chicken Fried Steak, at Shady Glade restaurant, unless you’re really hungry. Enjoy the scenery and catch a lot of fish. We love that lake and go there as often as life allows.

When heading into government ditch, you can also follow the boat lanes to the East/Left for about 100 yards and then turn North. Lots of trees and the fish will be up in them. Really close to Shady glade. The boathouses on government ditch can hold good fish as well. If you can, get a guided trip with Randy Deaver or Paul Keith. They will both put you on the fish.

Enjoy your trip. My son and I go there a few times per year. My wife loves it as well and goes when she can.
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 01:06 PM

Fish "Isolated Trees". get out of those big clomps of trees and fish scattered isolated trees.with dark worms or weightless flukes.

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 01:24 PM

Thank you all so much! You all have been very kind and extremely helpful.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 01:32 PM

Good specific fishing info above^^^^. You will get some more “real-time” info as the date gets here. Add to the trip eating at Big Pines Lodge right on Big Cypress Bayou. You can boat right up to the restaurant. Great catfish, cold beer...... Government Ditch is a great short cut to the river but if you look on the above map: head left(north) out of Shady Glade towards the river. There is a small obscure(MARKED) boat lane that parallels County Road 2424 and enters the river just under that small county road bridge. Real pretty scenery this way. Zoom in on the far upper left corner of the above map to see all this. Take a left on the river here to get up Big Pines, State Park..... All this shows up in my finders GPS but buy a map to see all the marked trails. Enjoy!

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/10/19 01:57 PM

Is there any specific map or apps (is cell signal even available) that you would suggest having before this trip.
Posted By: Buddy E

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 01/11/19 12:15 AM

Johnson’s Marina had lake maps last year when I was there, water proof ones as well and reasonable priced

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/04/19 03:19 PM

The count down has begun for my trip to Caddo. I will be making the 8 hour drive down on Sunday. How are things looking there right now? The 10 day forecast is calling for some rain the whole time my dad and I will be there. Hopefully we can still have some fun and catch some fish. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/04/19 03:55 PM

It’s COLD today and it’s Texas, the weather will warm up by the time you take your trip, it shouldn’t be a all day rain just off and on rain and probably will be a better chance for rain in the afternoon. Good luck and let us know how you guys do. fish
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/05/19 05:40 PM

I just saw this JUST IN: Boat ramp, canoe rentals closed at Caddo Lake State Park due to high water
For information about alternate boat launches and canoe rental facilities, please call the park at (903) 679-3351.
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/06/19 03:35 AM

We have had several cold fronts with rain so fishing has been very hit or miss. I believe you will be hitting it at a very good time. If we can get a few warmer days the bigs girls will be biting. I would throw a wacky senko most of your trip in junebug and blk/blu. If you run into trouble send me or mudd a message and will help you out if possible.

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/06/19 03:20 PM

Thank a bunch for all the help and info!!
Posted By: Mgfan58

Re: Caddo Lake Advice - 03/06/19 09:50 PM

I'll be there, with my wife and son, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Fishing with Randy Deaver Monday morning. If you get there early enough Sunday, look for a Galaxy Mist Phoenix with Orange stripes. We have to leave after we fish Monday, but give us a shout if you see us and I'll do the same. Caddo is my favorite lake in the world. It's just a special place.

And someone mentioned not ordering a full size Chicken Fried Steak at Shady Glade Cafe. Take their advice unless you're a beast. Their all you can eat bean pot is pretty good as well. Good fishing. Mgfan58
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum