Texas Fishing Forum

IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN?

Posted By: wagonwheel

IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/19/18 09:09 PM

Is Lake Athens still accessible despite all the rain? The lake we usually fish (Joe Pool) is closed due to the high water. We are thinking of taking a ride over to Athens in the morning and would like to make sure we can still get on the lake. We don't want to drive over for nothing. Thanks for any information.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/19/18 09:13 PM

Shows to still be -0.8 below full pool. Pretty sure you won't have any problems.

https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/athens
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/19/18 09:16 PM

>>> Lake Athens is accessible <<<<
even with all the rain here in Athens the water level has not come up much at all on Athens.
still 2-3 feet lower than normal.

very strange today --- got out there at NOON (Friday) --- not one boat on the lake, not one trailer in the parking lot.
In the 6 years I have lived in Athens and fished Lake Athens I have NEVER seen no one,,, zero,, notta,, an empty parking lot and lake. I fished for 2 hours on the lake all by my lonesome until finally one more boat.

JUST MAYBE it is because the Athens fish are not biting. Not one bite the entire 3 hours on the lake.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/19/18 09:41 PM

Well that needs to change. I'll be there Sunday late and Monday. Driving all the way from SE Kansas so I sure hope they turn on.

SE Kansas grass grower
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 12:55 AM

Let us know how y'all do, I'm thinking of going there or Fairfield. My brother is visiting from up north. Thanks
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: ring fry
Well that needs to change. I'll be there Sunday late and Monday. Driving all the way from SE Kansas so I sure hope they turn on.

SE Kansas grass grower

I know you know how to catch fish on Palestine!! Why bother with Athens.

Any chance of some Hot water fishing at Thanksgiving?
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 11:07 AM

I talked to a friend who lives on the lake, and he said its been tough. Gotta drag a senko through the grass and work stuff slow to get bit. He did catch a 9 last week, but said it was one of two bites he got all morning
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 11:12 AM

We decided not to go. The wife had made other plans.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: danceswithbass
I talked to a friend who lives on the lake, and he said its been tough. Gotta drag a senko through the grass and work stuff slow to get bit. He did catch a 9 last week, but said it was one of two bites he got all morning

That is VER S-L-O-W for Athens. 2 bites all morning is not even worth my 5 minute drive and unloading..... & I understand working the grass slow. Athens has just shut down for some reason & has been that way for a while. I guess that was why the parking lot was totally empty yesterday.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: IS LAKE ATHENS ACCESSIBLE DESPITE THE RAIN? - 10/20/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: MrRoachie
Originally Posted By: ring fry

SE Kansas grass grower

I know you know how to catch fish on Palestine!! Why bother with Athens.

Any chance of some Hot water fishing at Thanksgiving?

Palestine has got to be chocolate milk. Like Athens most of the time. Will be fishing Hollbrook and Fork after that. I'll be back down Veteran's Day week to fish Naconiche, Welsh and probably Fork.

SE Kansas grass grower
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum