Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn

Posted By: Zach412

Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 01:27 AM

We are having somewhat of a bachelor party out there next weekend. Rented a house around mid-lake, north of the bayou recreation area. Most of the guys are not big fisherman and the few that are have only been on the lake a few times including myself.

Can anyone provide any general info on techniques that are working and general areas, we are just looking to catch some numbers and have a good time. Also is the lake high or low right now? Is it mostly safe to run on the main lake, idol the creeks?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 01:45 AM

Almost 3.5 feet low. Not safe to run without knowing where you are and where you're going. For numbers, weightless fluke or senko shallow and drop shot anywhere else. If it's a really good bachelor party you will only be fishing from the bank for a couple hours 3-5pm anyway. cheers
Posted By: 9094

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 01:53 AM

Just fish your strengths

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 02:12 AM

Thanks 5X3Phoenix!

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: 9094
Just fish your strengths

Easy for you to say Mr Hubbard! I haven’t been in my boat since I came by your lake house in July haha
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/07/18 02:44 AM

Man 3.5 ft low. Bet there trees sticking up everywhere
Posted By: joemac224

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 02:32 PM

Fished the Combs tournament there this weekend. I am not a guy that know the lake very well, and man was running it sketchy. TAKE IT EASY, you can easily get in trouble out there, especially around the black forest area. There are so many trees just barely out of the water that with a chop are almost impossible to see, not to mention the onese barely under the water.

As for the fishing, the easiest fish to find for me were the ones way up the rivers super shallow. I fished a frog almost all day and cut a check. If you can find cypress trees with 2 foot of water, fish them. Fish funnels/drains in the grass as well. I'm sure with this weather that is coming in even more of the fish will start to push shallow. Don't be afraid of muddy water, most of my fish came out of 6" of visibility. I am no local out there and don't know everything, but that's what worked for me and I had a blast. Be careful and have fun!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 02:59 PM

What won KCO?
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 03:01 PM

Any of you guys running the Rayburn BoatLanes Chip? Curious if it is still trustworthy at -3.5? I've run all over that lake following it but never at this level. Plan on heading to Rayburn in a few weeks.
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower
Any of you guys running the Rayburn BoatLanes Chip? Curious if it is still trustworthy at -3.5? I've run all over that lake following it but never at this level. Plan on heading to Rayburn in a few weeks.

Yes, the lanes are still good. The only area to be careful is above Shirley Creek. There are 4 stumps in the lane. It's a good time to mark them though. Of course, there are now stumps showing in open areas where you've never seen them before. For example, there's one straight out from the new Cassels Boykin ramp about 200 yards.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors
Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Yes, the lanes are still good. The only area to be careful is above Shirley Creek. There are 4 stumps in the lane. It's a good time to mark them though. Of course, there are now stumps showing in open areas where you've never seen them before. For example, there's one straight out from the new Cassels Boykin ramp about 200 yards.

Thanks for the info!
Posted By: joemac224

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
What won KCO?

28.20 won, 27.93 second, 25 something 3rd, and 21 something 4th. Only 4 bags over 20 lbs, which honestly was surprising to me.
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 04:56 PM

We caught a ton of fish (in KCO) just couldn't get the the "big bite" we went to the scales with 13 pounds and when we weighted it Kieth looked at me and said "you may want to hang around", I thought no way, we didnt end up cutting a check but got close. We fished shallow around hay grass with flukes,senkos, and spinnerbaits. I also saw 59 teams didnt weight a fish!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/08/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TexanTiger
I also saw 59 teams didnt weight a fish!

Don't know if there was a conservation bonus or not, but if you have 10-12# or less on Rayburn and are not fishing for points on a trail, it just makes sense to dump em. I'm sure that was a lot of the 0s.

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/09/18 05:21 PM

This may be a dumb question but is there a specific area that has flooded cypress trees or can they be found in any creek on the lake?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/09/18 05:38 PM

Not a lot at this lake level. Mostly up the rivers. More north, more Cypress trees
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Sam Rayburn - 10/09/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Zach412
This may be a dumb question but is there a specific area that has flooded cypress trees or can they be found in any creek on the lake?

I would not bother with the cypress trees. Gonna be more of a chore getting to them without knowing the lake well. Your gonna spend allot of time idling around
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum