Texas Fishing Forum

Zero Gravity Jig

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 08:52 PM

Anyone ever use a Zero Gravity Jig? It has a drop rate of one foot every three seconds.

Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 09:01 PM

Bought a few one time to try them out. Never did. Probably hidden under a mound of soft plastics somewhere in my garage...
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 09:06 PM

If it doesn't have Eyes, I want throw it.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 09:14 PM

My brother and I fish a large lake that averages 6 feet in depth across the entire lake. It also has lots of cypress trees. I thought that this type of jig would be good for it.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 11:24 PM

How does it drop so slowly? Is it a hollow head made of plastic?

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/19/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
How does it drop so slowly? Is it a hollow head made of plastic?

Pretty sure it's something to that effect.
Posted By: Cplatt

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 12:10 AM

could be very good on finicky fish or brush pile fish in overcast days when they are sitting on top of them for sure. How bulky is the skirt? Looks more like a finnese jig than a typical structure skirt.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 12:16 AM

I've tried them. They have their time and place. Great for pressured situations and bed fishing!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 12:37 AM

I tried one many years ago and never caught anything with it. It had a little different shape but basically the same concept.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 04:15 AM

I've tried them and I continue to carry a few. Don't use them often but when bed-fishing or sometimes pitching to docks or laydowns they work great. They really do drop that slow and despite being so light weight they cast surprisingly well.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

I've caught a lot of fish on a Hack Attack jig and it doesn't have eyes. I think Mr Hackney has won a little coin with them as well. grin

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom

I've caught a lot of fish on a Hack Attack jig and it doesn't have eyes. I think Mr Hackney has won a little coin with them as well. grin

Yeah, I guess I'd go the other direction and say if it does have eyes on the jig head, I won't throw it. I've never seen a crawfish with eyes on its butt...
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
I've tried them. They have their time and place. Great for pressured situations and bed fishing!

Why are they good for bed fishing? do the fish have a hard time only grabbing the tail (like they usually do) because its so light they just eat the whole thing?
Posted By: 007.

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 08:40 PM

I agree. I fish jigs a lot and in my opinion the weight of the jig and the trailer one chooses is much more important than whether it has eyes or not.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/20/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

Why are they good for bed fishing? do the fish have a hard time only grabbing the tail (like they usually do) because its so light they just eat the whole thing?

In my experience it's more about the fall rate. You pitch it, it falls real slow, they just can't stand it for some reason. It's almost like throwing a senko in there. Granted, you're only fishing in a few feet of water, but still, it works.
Posted By: COKEMAN

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 03:38 PM

No idea about these, I had some by another brand years ago (Slo-Mo, Slo-Fall or something like that), but I bet these behave the same. I tested them by dropping one and a live crawfish in a tank side-by-side. They fell at the same rate and looked REALLY good with a crawfish trailer.

I caught a few fish on them, but be warned, you better have your patience cap on tight, because that's a lot slower fall than you realize. Put your mindset on "weightless wacky worm" and not "1/2 ounce jig" and that will help wait on the fall. Fishing them in the wind was tough too.

The ones I had didn't cast or pitch well either, but maybe these new ones have solved that.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 04:48 PM

Fall rate is key with jigs as mentioned above I have found that when the bass want a slower fall rate a good trick to slow the fall down is to wacky rig a 5” Senko for the jig trailer
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Yeah, I guess I'd go the other direction and say if it does have eyes on the jig head, I won't throw it. I've never seen a crawfish with eyes on its butt...

BUt but I thought the fish had to look the jig in the eyes to intimidate them before eating?
Posted By: Rducky

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 06:10 PM

The baits u r referring to were made by Roy Greer and were called Penetrator Jigs. The jigs were about the size of a 1 oz jig and the heads were made from hot glue. They had an extremely slow fall rate and were deadly on bed fish. I still have a box full of them.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: kellisag
Originally Posted By: jbcarroll3000

BUt but I thought the fish had to look the jig in the eyes to intimidate them before eating?

Every jig has at least one eye.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: Zero Gravity Jig - 09/21/18 09:38 PM

I consider myself fortunate when I get to fish with a local stick who does well in tournament schedules around here. He's an extremely versatile and detailed angler especially when it comes to jig fishing...none of his jigs have eyes....NONE ! I have learned there are other aspects of jig adjustment which will help make a difference at weigh in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum