Posted By: i-Fish

Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 02:54 PM

Quik-crete and a bucket?
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:12 PM

big zip ties and cinder blocks works too. Curious to see some other ideas
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:21 PM

The following is a hypothetical answer for your own private pond.

I like cinder blocks and sisal rope.

Over about two years, the sisal rope will biodegrade underwater.

By that time, the timber is so water logged and stuck in mud/silt it isn't going anywhere.

If I'm out of sisal rope, I use that braided cotten clothesline rope from walmart--you can get 100 feet of it for $3.50
Posted By: kemon86

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:22 PM

I use both. I've found that sinking old plastic chairs with cinder blocks is 50X easier than sinking trees with quik-crete or cinder blocks. It takes the fish longer to find them, but the better spots usually fill up within a couple months with plastic.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:31 PM

Against the law on public water I believe. But with that being said I have been checked by a game warden with a boat loaded down with Christmas trees and didn’t say anything about them didn’t even have a rod/reel on board at the time lol
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Against the law on public water I believe. But with that being said I have been checked by a game warden with a boat loaded down with Christmas trees and didn’t say anything about them didn’t even have a rod/reel on board at the time lol

Believe that he was asking a hypothetical question......
You know - "IF I was going to make a brushpile". LOL
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Yea. Asking for a friend.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Yea. Asking for a friend.

Probably gonna be sinking them at night because of all the nosey people so won't matter. Christmas tree are ok for crappie but I recommend bigger trees for bass and sink them horizontal instead of vertical. Slide a cinder block over a couple of the bigger limbs and fill with concrete. Tie the tree or trees to the side of the boat with rope, ease out to your spot and lower the tree to the bottom. Need to sink them on a hard bottom too. Points, creek ledges, drop offs and pond dams are great and be sure and mark the spots so I can find them. pollo
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 04:14 PM

I like concrete blocks and some sort of cotton rope. If the limbs are small enough just slide them into the holes and then use 2 smaller limb like an X across the top to try and keep it standing when it hits the bottom. I tie the rope off really close to the limbs so that its less likely to snag on a lure. If the limbs are "huge" (and its deep enough for one end to stick up some) usually 1 block is enough to get the bottom down and keep it down as well.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 04:25 PM

For bass, I really like Bois ‘d Arc
Widely available in North Texas and considered a nuisance by many
Multi branching with strong limbs; so when it hits bottom, a long limb will keep the pile at a nice 45-75 degree angle
Really dense, heavy hardwood lasts for a long time

Posted By: Cole P

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 05:22 PM

Eastern Red Cedars (8'-12'), cinder blocks, metal baling wire, wire-cutting dykes, gloves, glasses and chainsaw.

I like to cut off the bottom row of branches, slide the cinder block onto the base of the tree and wire to the tree. I can usually get 2+ trees in each cinder block depending on the size of the trees used.

Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 06:04 PM

Sand bags and big heavy duty zip ties work too. Sand bags also dont scratch up the boat if you have a slip up.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Bryan
Sand bags and big heavy duty zip ties work too. Sand bags also dont scratch up the boat if you have a slip up.

I love this idea!!!!
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 06:15 PM

I like Willows and Bamboo...they "Fan out" good and you have less of a chance of "Hanging up"

Lightweight and easy to sink...no Christmas tree sap to stain the carpet

Warning: A buddy and I did get pulled over by an officer on the way to the lake...we all got a good laugh when I explained what we were doing...he said the Bamboo looked like an illegal plant

Fish move in quick and so do the other fishermen but has worked wonders for me
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 08:51 PM

"I like cinder blocks and sisal rope.

Over about two years, the sisal rope will biodegrade underwater.

By that time, the timber is so water logged and stuck in mud/silt it isn't going anywhere."

This, but I use old coat hangers instead of sisal. They rust away pretty fast. I prefer juniper to Christmas trees.
Posted By: reelfast

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 09:19 PM

Never made a brush pile but Seems like old tires would work also. ???
Posted By: reelfast

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 09:20 PM

Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Best way to submerge timber? - 08/20/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: reelfast

Built several tire reefs for a private lake outside of Athens when I was a kid. To make them be anything more than just bumps on the bottom when they fall over, is a bit of a PITA and takes a little thinking. More than just chunking some tires out into the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum