Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different.

Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:28 AM

So it's time for a new Ranger. Im Ranger for life,,,Or I was. Cabalas sent a young guys boat (2019 Z520) back for a repair and said 12 weeks ! Now I hear of 8 months ? Slower service ? And getting worse. I looked Friday at a dealer I like with Skeeters and Rangers on the showroom and he showed me some differences in construction. They both looked great !! Yes Im blessed to own either. I just never considered a Skeeter with the old design SHO. Ranger has the new Mercury four strokes . Legends are out. Bullets are to skinny. Phoenix -I know nothing and where is a dealer. Bass cats look out dated to me. There web site even old. I need a 20' at least. So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2019 FX21 loaded out from a dealer I like. Im just surprised at my self. I always talked smack about Skeeters... They ride terrible (I only rode in one) . Suggestions ? Some day's I take three adults.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:36 AM

Take a look at a 22trx Triton, TBW in Killeen has Triton, Ranger and Skeeter on the lot.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:36 AM

Whatever you do don't get Humminbird graphs. I hear you have to wait two weeks for them if you ever send them in for repair.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:39 AM

Shipps Marine Gladewater, TX Phoneix are great boats. I think if you take a ride you will like them.

https://www.shippsmarine.com/boats-for-sale/2018-phoenix-721-proxp-gladewater-texas-6655438/

FunNsun in DFW area
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:40 AM

I don't believe you can go wrong by buying a new FX21.....IMO.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 12:49 AM

I would try to get a ride in whatever model I was about to throw that much money at! Look for someone that can take you out in theirs before you commit!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:05 AM

Ride in a phoenix 21phx before you buy anything although the fx is a sweet boat
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:09 AM

You may also want to look at the Charger 210 elite. The old champion hull design. May not be the fastest but will be one of the driest and smoothest out right now. I think Blake's boats in Corsicana stocks them.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:14 AM

I was about to pull the trigger on a new Ranger, was going to take a look at Phoenix as well, but now I am waiting on the new Vexus boats, i think they are going to be the bomb.
Posted By: C130

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:30 AM

Have you looked at the Bass Cat Lynx? I don’t see how you could say that looks outdated but that’s just my opinion. The FX21 is definitely a very nice boat also, just look around and ride in the ones that interest you would be my suggestion. Good luck, you have lots of very nice options.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:34 AM

Check out the new Skeeter Apex, fully rigged with 15" Solix at console, 12" Solix at bow, 112 Ultrex, poles, custom seats, pretty sure hyd. jack plate, custom wheels, can't remember the rest, $78,500. Nobody can beat that.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:39 AM

It's a personal choice and their are some very fine boats out there but check out the Phoenix.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 01:50 AM

I don't have much to go on but I have some seat time in a 2018 Skeeter 21' Limited Edition. Wow it is nice and I just can't imagine any other boat being above that in ride/build quality.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: John175®
Whatever you do don't get Humminbird graphs. I hear you have to wait two weeks for them if you ever send them in for repair.

People with Lowrance say it is at least a month to get them back. eek2
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Moved to Sandlin
So it's time for a new Ranger. Im Ranger for life,,,Or I was. Cabalas sent a young guys boat (2019 Z520) back for a repair and said 12 weeks ! Now I hear of 8 months ? Slower service ? And getting worse. I looked Friday at a dealer I like with Skeeters and Rangers on the showroom and he showed me some differences in construction. They both looked great !! Yes Im blessed to own either. I just never considered a Skeeter with the old design SHO. Ranger has the new Mercury four strokes . Legends are out. Bullets are to skinny. Phoenix -I know nothing and where is a dealer. Bass cats look out dated to me. There web site even old. I need a 20' at least. So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2019 FX21 loaded out from a dealer I like. Im just surprised at my self. I always talked smack about Skeeters... They ride terrible (I only rode in one) . Suggestions ? Some day's I take three adults.
I saw where there's a Phoenix dealer in Boerne TX
Posted By: coyotebass

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 02:23 PM

id stick with a ranger
Posted By: hawghunter58

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:39 PM

They ride terrible (I only rode in one) . Suggestions ? Some day's I take three adults.

Anyone who has ridden in a newer FX21 can tell you that is completely false. I've got a 17' FX21LE, it's as smooth of a ride and handles rough water as well as anything out there. The middle padded seat/step is actually comfortable as well when you do bring that third person along.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: hawghunter58
They ride terrible (I only rode in one) . Suggestions ? Some day's I take three adults.

Anyone who has ridden in a newer FX21 can tell you that is completely false. I've got a 17' FX21LE, it's as smooth of a ride and handles rough water as well as anything out there. The middle padded seat/step is actually comfortable as well when you do bring that third person along.

This!!!!
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:44 PM

hard to go wrong with a skeeter or ranger they are both well built boats an at some point later when you are ready to sell it they have good resale value. not to mention that both brands will be around a long time to get support on parts.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:48 PM

Here is my 2 cents, hope I am able to help you or anyone else in anyway possible. I bought my first bass bought this year, but I waited for 4 years before making my decision. One due to finances, the other because I am typically not one to buy something like this and keep it for a fews years then trade it in, with my vehicles either. I wanted to be sure I was making the best overall decision for me.

I fished the previous 4 years as a co-angler. I have been in every single boat brand there is, and just about every single model of each boat brand. It is no secret that just about every boat owner will say they prefer the boat brand they currently own, I mean that is common sense, I do it myself. However, there have been guys I have fished with that have been very reasonable and honest and admit that while they like/prefer the brand they have, you can't go wrong with certain others as well.

I have fished in lakes that were slick with no waves, and in 30 mph winds. In 18' boats, and in 21' boats. Granted, while the driver/operator does make a difference, there are just some boats that operate better than others no matter how bad the driver is.

When you are talking about the top of the line boats, you really can't go wrong with the majority of them, Skeeter, Ranger, Phoenix, Legend, etc. But I can tell you from first hand experience, for overall all best performance and fishing, can't go wrong with a Skeeter.

I may have my numbers wrong but I believe they have the 2nd biggest front deck fishing space, behind legend I think, but not by much. Skeeter takes on rough water just as good if not better than any boat. It is one of the fastest on the market, it has all the bells and whistles (at least the FX 21 LE) version such as I have with HDS Carbon graphs standard, and all switches/controls at your fingertips at the console. Just as much storage space as any other boat, and more than others depending on the model. They are very well made, heavy enough to take on any water but light enough to provide performance. Offer a variety of colors and other options and while none of the top end boats are cheap, Skeeter is less expensive than most. I had my choices narrowed down to Skeeter, Ranger, or Phoenix and for what I wanted with the same accessories, Skeeter was the best deal.

You have to go with what you want, but hopefully I was able to help. It made a huge difference for me being able to ride in every boat out there and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 03:56 PM

Buy the one you are most drawn to. If someone has a real issue with a 20-21' boat riding too rough chances are its a driver issue. They all fish well and run well for the most part. Buy the one you like best. I am partial to Skeeter and Ranger but that's just me. You are the one paying for it so you need to buy the one you like best.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 04:16 PM

Skeeter and Ranger are both great boats. You can’t go wrong with either. You should check out Diamond Sports Marine out at Fork. Has both boats and you can check them out side by side.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 04:40 PM

I would be hesitant to buy one of the new Mercury 4 stroke's. My buddy has one and he says it absolutely drinks gas, and he doesn't drive WOT at all. Not saying they're bad motors, just telling you what I know. I'm on my second Skeeter/SHO and have zero complaints. The FX is one of the most impressive hulls I've ever been in/around. I absolutely love my FX 21! The SHO has great top end speed and great fuel economy. I don't foresee me steering away from either brand any time soon.

Take a ride in both and decide for yourself.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I was about to pull the trigger on a new Ranger, was going to take a look at Phoenix as well, but now I am waiting on the new Vexus boats, i think they are going to be the bomb.

thumb http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...us_Boats#UNREAD
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 04:51 PM

That VEXUS sure does seem to rock back and forth a lot. I've owned Skeeter and Ranger. I prefer the Skeeter. My last boat was an FX21. It's the best boat I've ever owned.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 05:04 PM

I just bought my second Skeeter, an, FX20LE. I thought the shorter boat would handle better than the FX21, well it parks better in the garage and loads on the trailer better but outside of that, no difference. I got the Oxblood color with everything on it. Love the boat and love the ride, Finally got it up to 4200rpm, and it just rips across the lake on top of the waves. I have 1.5 hrs on mine so I'm taking it easy. I know Skeeter has its detractors but Im not one of them. Good dealers at Diamond Sports in Yantis and Fun-n-Sun in Hurst.
Good luck spending your money
Posted By: hawghunter58

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

While this may be a nice boat in no way is it a better option than an FX21 or similar Ranger other than price.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 06:06 PM

I wasn't saying buy the aluminum, but rather wait and see what this new company releases in the future, since he was a fan of ranger before the changes with that company.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: John175®

They have the best customer service hands down compared to Lowrance. Ask just about anyone that has had both.

I haven't rode in a new Skeeter but a buddy of mine that was lifelong Ranger guy bought one last year and traded back into a Ranger this year. Didn't like the ride in rough water, Didnt like the way it fished mostly though.
One thing a Ranger does that I haven't found a boat that does as good or close is the way they track on the trolling motor even in the wind. They just don't kite around.
Posted By: MurraynTx

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 06:57 PM

I was looking at Skeeter, Ranger and Phoenix. Rode with a buddy who has a Skeeter on Rayburn in rough water and was soaking wet every time we stopped. Another friend has a Phoenix and is complaining about the quality of the boat. After on year everything is rattling loose. After riding in the Ranger it was an easy choice. Bought the 520i and love it!!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: MurraynTx
I was looking at Skeeter, Ranger and Phoenix. Rode with a buddy who has a Skeeter on Rayburn in rough water and was soaking wet every time we stopped. Another friend has a Phoenix and is complaining about the quality of the boat. After on year everything is rattling loose. After riding in the Ranger it was an easy choice. Bought the 520i and love it!!

Huh. We fished the inaugural Platinum Team Trail event at Rayburn out of my FX21. Ran 45 miles N from Umphrey's in 20 mph N wind gusting to 30 (which had been rolling for two days prior) in REAL 3 footers. Never got wet but dang was it cold! 36 degrees at take off.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 08:00 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat lol. 60 years old and looking for my last boat. Bass cat Lynx and charger 210 are at the top of my list. I keep my stuff forever and the all fiberglass dash is a must for me. Bass cat has a great trailer, lifetime hull warranty and great customer service. I still love my Champion that I have owned for 22 years so the Charger will get a good look. Good luck on your choice and congrats for being in a position to make it. JD
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 09:38 PM

BassCat dude.
Legendary speed, ride, and customer service.
Outdated???
Nope.

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/13/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: hawghunter58
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

While this may be a nice boat in no way is it a better option than an FX21 or similar Ranger other than price.

That is a tin boat, I am waiting for the glass boat, trust me, it will be a very fine boat.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 04:56 AM

If your not in a hurry it couldn't hurt to wait and look at the vexus since those guys have a lot of ranger experience. I really like what blazer and charger have done with their lines too.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 04:57 AM

*you're *vexus GLASS
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: BrockstaRama
If your not in a hurry it couldn't hurt to wait and look at the vexus since those guys have a lot of ranger experience. I really like what blazer and charger have done with their lines too.

I wish Vexus would put out their glass boat prices. I'm sure they'll be competitive but hope at some point a company reverses the trend of skyrocketing bass boat costs.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 12:07 PM

I bet vexus will start out with some great pricing the first year or two like Phoenix did
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I bet vexus will start out with some great pricing the first year or two like Phoenix did

Hopefully that's the case.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

I bet they go bankrupt in the second or third year.

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

Any particular reason why you feel that way ? I think ole Forrest has quite a bit of money, it is a tough market, I hope they do well.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter or Ranger again... Something different. - 08/14/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

Any particular reason why you feel that way ? I think ole Forrest has quite a bit of money, it is a tough market, I hope they do well.

Not a lot of people out there willing to chance that much money on a start up company in a saturated market. If JM were to stop production on Rangers they would have a chance but I doubt that will happen.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum