Texas Fishing Forum

Spybaits

Posted By: kirbydog

Spybaits - 08/09/18 05:34 PM

I've been throwing these for a couple of years now with mixed results. Usually I find that other techniques will put more fish in the boat and I put down the rod and fish something else.

These are supposed to be real good on suspended fish in cold/clear water-late fall thru early spring but again I had mixed results. So I'm wondering if anyone else out there fishes them and what success they've had.

I'm throwing the Duo Realis 80 and 90, counting the lure down and doing a slow retrieve.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Spybaits - 08/09/18 09:12 PM

I think it's cause Texas fish don't often setup right for the bait to be as effective as other techniques. Now clear water smallmouth lakes up north it's the deal
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Spybaits - 08/09/18 11:10 PM

In my opinion in Texas there’s always some fish that will eat. I’m not the guy to go and try to catch some fish suspended with lock jaw when I can go somewhere else on the lake where I can go throw a confidence bait, deep or shallow, and catch them.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Spybaits - 08/10/18 12:39 AM

Plus it’s a clear water technique, not a ton of clear enough water to be affective. I bet it would work on Amistad.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Spybaits - 08/10/18 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I think it's cause Texas fish don't often setup right for the bait to be as effective as other techniques. Now clear water smallmouth lakes up north it's the deal

+1
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Spybaits - 08/10/18 04:40 PM

I’ve been throwing it on grapevine, Lewisville, and lake Arlington with great results with 8lb line on a spinning combo I use for a drop shot I pretty such cast it out and count it down then slowly reel it in. I’ve found that most will hit it right when you start to retrieve it. Biggest first has been a 5lber but I did have a double hook up on two dinks. I’m thinking this technique is gonna be great once it’s 30 degrees outside and they won’t hit a jerkbait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum