Texas Fishing Forum

Fortrex to Ultrex

Posted By: SATopWater

Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 12:29 AM

So, just replaced a Fortrex with an Ultrex. Only two trips in, but some findings, for me anyway....

- The Ultrex is definitely heavier.
- I don't know why, but the Fortrex was stronger/faster than the Ultrex. I believe the Fortrex was a 102 and the Ultrex is a 112. Doesn't make sense.
- I have an SI transducer on the bottom of the Ultrex, which requires a cable up the shaft. I hate banging the cable on the mount for the Ultrex, so I need to make sure I'm rotating the Ultrex so I don't...no big deal, just need to think about it every time...I'll get used to it I'm sure.
- This thing is awesome. Only really checked a few features so far. Spot lock works. 15+ mph winds on Falcon, and yep, keeps you right where you tell it to.
- Didn't use constant speed on the Fortrex, but with the Ultrex, I can put it in Auto-pilot and then drift (on purpose) back and forth in an area using speed adjustments and really not have to manage the whole thing. Autopilot does it. Keeps me headed the same direction, with minor adjustments to the speed to accomplish what I want. Haven't completely pinned this down yet, but it's working for me in some big Falcon winds on deep rock.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 12:39 AM

So do you like it or not like it? You seem to have mixed emotions.

I love mine, it works great for me. I would not go back to anything else.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 12:43 AM

Mine should be here tomorrow and then I'll need time to install it. woot
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 02:00 AM

On the auto-pilot... you can use the remote to change direction, but a tap of the toe or heel can be used to input minor (or major) changes in direction and then the auto-pilot adjusts. It allows you to follow the shoreline or contour semi-automatically. This is for those of us without the “Link” and Humminbird...
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 02:15 AM

It is slower then the fourtrex. I have one worth every penny. Fourtrex is stronger cause it mounts better I believe.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 06:33 PM

To help protect your ducer cable along the shaft try some spiral wrap from the BORG. You also have to make sure you run the cable to where it wont hit the U shaped bracket. Here's the link to what I use.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-2-in-3-5-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Black-FSP-BlackT/202905458

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/07/18 11:30 PM

I do love this thing so far after two outings. The guy that installed it did a great job. I wouldn't go back to the Fortrex.

But, yes the thickness of the covering going from the transducer around the motor of the trolling motor and the gap in the place you pull it up on to the bracket, cause it to hit if I don't turn the motor a certain direction. Again, not that big of a deal, but something that I noticed.

Yes, the Fortrex was "stronger." Putting the Fortrez on 100% and pressing the button, could sort of push you back a bit if not careful. The Ultrex doesn't do that. However, I did wonder if it was just a bit smarter and "slowly" cranking the speed. Since I don't "really" know how fast/strong each is, it could be that.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SATopWater
I do love this thing so far after two outings. The guy that installed it did a great job. I wouldn't go back to the Fortrex.

But, yes the thickness of the covering going from the transducer around the motor of the trolling motor and the gap in the place you pull it up on to the bracket, cause it to hit if I don't turn the motor a certain direction. Again, not that big of a deal, but something that I noticed.

Yes, the Fortrex was "stronger." Putting the Fortrez on 100% and pressing the button, could sort of push you back a bit if not careful. The Ultrex doesn't do that. However, I did wonder if it was just a bit smarter and "slowly" cranking the speed. Since I don't "really" know how fast/strong each is, it could be that.

The Ultrex is " smarter " topwater, it increases power slowly for a purpose. When you have it on spot lock if the motor went full power to hold you and it adjusted at a left or right angle it could throw you overboard. So it increases power slowly for that reason. If you read your manual there is an adjustment for that.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 12:13 AM

Beat me to it. Yes, the Ultrex accelerates slower but this is to keep you from losing your balance and falling out when you press the button.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 12:37 AM

All the new bluetooth MKs build up speed slowly compared to the previous version. Change the settings on boat size and it will effect that. I used to warn people buying the old Terrovas to not listen to people who say you can never have too much power. I put a 36v on my boat and it would throw you out the side of the boat when it decided to correct one way or the other. My bluetooth version could do it also and would get up and move pretty quickly until I adjusted it. Now it is safer while fishing but you have to allow the speed to gradually build when trolling. I find it to be just as fast on the top end as the old model.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
All the new bluetooth MKs build up speed slowly compared to the previous version. Change the settings on boat size and it will effect that. I used to warn people buying the old Terrovas to not listen to people who say you can never have too much power. I put a 36v on my boat and it would throw you out the side of the boat when it decided to correct one way or the other. My bluetooth version could do it also and would get up and move pretty quickly until I adjusted it. Now it is safer while fishing but you have to allow the speed to gradually build when trolling. I find it to be just as fast on the top end as the old model.

Guess I need to read manual didn’t know I was suppose to program boat size lol
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit

Idk if I’m smart enough to use this Ultrex thing haha

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: Flooringit

Idk if I’m smart enough to use this Ultrex thing haha

Pretty much plug n play Jake, you can do it. Hardest part is paying for it. yawn
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 05:03 PM

I truly love mine, the only issue is the interference on my front helix... I’ve tried ferrit rings, I’ve run the power wires to the cranking battery and I still have the interference. Every time I touch the button the on the foot pedal I get the spots on the screen.
Anyone else having this issue?

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 05:15 PM

No trouble here Mike but I have a Lowrance on the bow. I have turned my 10" Bird console unit so I could see it while fishing and no interference on it. Are all your connectors covered ?
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
I truly love mine, the only issue is the interference on my front helix... I’ve tried ferrit rings, I’ve run the power wires to the cranking battery and I still have the interference. Every time I touch the button the on the foot pedal I get the spots on the screen.

Yes, I have a Helix up front and get TM interference but it occurs anytime the prop is turning. Now, what's really strange for me is that if I'm in more than 15ft, the interference lines show only below the bottom on screen. If I'm less than 5ft with a hard bottom the interference lines are now below & above the bottom surface line.
Only have interference in DI.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 10:02 PM

Go see Slade at fork

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 11:35 PM

I have a solix and a 797 up front and use the US2 to the 797 and the transducer that came with the solix and no interference in either.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/08/18 11:43 PM

What transducer are you running up front? You need to be running the tm specific model for whatever transducer you have. The tm specific transdcuers have extra internal shielding that helps prevent interference

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/09/18 03:45 PM

I’m running the external transducer that has all the extra shielding. This way I can use both 2D and DI. But my interference has been there since day one even before I put on the external transducer. So I don’t know if there’s an internal issue with the ultrex I’ve contacted Minn Kota they say it’s a Humminbird issue and Humminbird says it’s a Minn Kota issue. I just need to take the boat to see Travis at Boris Marine to have the Ultrex gone through...
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/09/18 04:59 PM

I’m running the external transducer that has all the extra shielding. This way I can use both 2D and DI. But my interference has been there since day one even before I put on the external transducer. So I don’t know if there’s an internal issue with the ultrex I’ve contacted Minn Kota they say it’s a Humminbird issue and Humminbird says it’s a Minn Kota issue. I just need to take the boat to see Travis at Boris Marine to have the Ultrex gone through...

Are your Humminbird wires running too close to your 36v supply wires? Ideally they run down opposite sides of the boat, but it happens. Get as much separation as you can. Just a thought for something to look at..
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/10/18 12:31 AM

Quote:

I always refer to the manual... as a last resort, of course. blush

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/10/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Are your Humminbird wires running too close to your 36v supply wires? Ideally they run down opposite sides of the boat, but it happens. Get as much separation as you can. Just a thought for something to look at..

Yup, the Humminbird wires are down the starboard side and trolling motor wires are down the port side...

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/16/18 12:13 AM

A few more things I've noticed since the last few outings:

- The Ultrex, above the water, is much nosier than the Fortrex, not sure about below the water...
- The Ultrex is definitely heavier than the Fortrex.
- The Ultrex with a Solix and the associated transducer is awesome for images, but the cables on the Ultrex and associated wires up the shaft and the plastic ties to keep things in place isn't an optimum solution. I've already had a couple come lose and slide up the shaft. Not a big deal, but certainly a pain.
Posted By: sjrizzo

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/16/18 03:44 AM

This is good to know. I just ordered an Ultrex without Link because I have Lowrance graphs and don’t think I’d use the follow-contour feature anyway even if I got Humminbirds eventually. Then I read about the backtrack feature, thought that WOULD be something I would use a lot, and wondered if I should have ordered Link after all with an eye toward getting a Humminbird. What you describe here, though, sounds like a good substitute for backtrack feature, so that makes me feel better smile Your thoughts? Also, have you found 16 recordable tracks to be enough? Thanks.

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/16/18 03:48 AM

Above post meant as response to David Burton’s post, but anyone feel free to respond 😀
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/16/18 09:16 PM

If I actually thought about it and recorded a track, maybe it would be limiting, but not using one yet; 16 is infinitely more than I need. roflmao

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/17/18 01:01 AM

Yea, I haven't done alot of "recording" yet either. I did one. Deep grass area on a hump on LBJ. Went around the hump, recorded, tried it again using the recording. Worked fine. This is an example of how I'd use that feature. I.e. deep structure, replay path, try again. But, I guess this wouldn't really be helpful on some of what I do like flipping brush/wood in 10' of water in an area the size of a football field.

Re: Fortrex to Ultrex - 08/17/18 01:51 AM

Thanks, guys 👍🏻
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum