Texas Fishing Forum

Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures?

Posted By: Simmonsdlwa

Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/06/18 10:09 PM

I saw some saltwater guides fishing vegetation that switched out trebles or single hooks on rip baits and was curious about 2.0 Squarebill or trap applications for certain areas with a lot of cover
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/06/18 10:38 PM

If so Gamakatsu octopus is a good choice. Don't think I could stomach going with two hooks as opposed to six on my crankbaits though.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/06/18 11:12 PM

Nope just learn how to feather it thru stumps and rip it outta grass
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/06/18 11:20 PM

In Florida (Lake Kissimmee specifically) during a drought you could find old Big O's with the back treble changed for a single. I found 6 of them one year, so it was definelty all the rage. The fact that I found 6 tells me it was not snag proof.
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/07/18 12:43 AM

yes
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/07/18 03:27 AM

offshore fishing it is done to increase the amount of pressure you can apply to the fish. better hookup into more meat/bone. I don't really see a benefit to doing it in freshwater. if worried about vegetation, use a chatterbait or swimjig or weedless swimbait.

that's why I was throwing that spinnerbait into those weeds on texoma.. couldn't get a treble bait in there to mimic the shad.
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/08/18 05:29 PM

I started doing that on a few lures for when my wife and I go out to catch hybrids and sandies, so there's less chance of getting a hook in one of us while unhooking them.
I've been really impressed at how few times I've missed fish with them. Caught a bunch of sandies, hybrids, walleye and bass on them this summer.When fish get hooked, they get in the boat.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Does anyone switch out trebles of single hooks on their lures? - 08/11/18 12:20 PM

I have done this with some top waters as well. It made them a little more weed less but not what I was hoping for.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum