Texas Fishing Forum

Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC

Posted By: cinsano

Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/06/18 10:02 PM

Taking the wife and grandkids to OKC this weekend for shopping and Frontier City. Dragging the boat so I can get away, any suggestions.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/07/18 12:55 AM

Been along time but Draper Lake was pretty good
Posted By: Cableman

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/07/18 01:01 AM

Arbuckle is 70 miles from norman which is south side of okc
Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/07/18 12:46 PM

Arbuckle is probably your best bet.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/08/18 03:55 AM

If it was Winter or anytime other than summer, Konawa would be good choice. Provided it's the lake it used to be. Used to be a good 1300 acre hot pond
Posted By: John Belair

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/08/18 12:18 PM

Okemah is a pretty good little lake, and Konawa is a good lake in my experience year round. Konawa is good for numbers and you can still catch good fish this time of year, 5 to 7lb fish caught out of there regularly with a 8 to 10 every now and again. Okemah is a little tougher I think for numbers, but you catch more quality fish 4 and 5 lbers more regular, in my experiences. My best 5 from there was almost 35lbs.
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/08/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
If it was Winter or anytime other than summer, Konawa would be good choice. Provided it's the lake it used to be. Used to be a good 1300 acre hot pond

Its not. The schoolers haven't showed up yet this year and its normally going good by now. They only generate consistently in the summer. Winter time its just as cold as any other lake. I got a pic this past winter of it iced over solid from the OG&E boathouse to the west as far as I could see.
Posted By: justfishin89

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/08/18 05:32 PM

I have not been to Arbuckle, but I prefer Konawa myself.
Posted By: cinsano

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/09/18 12:25 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm doing a lot of google searching on the lakes mentioned.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Best bass lake within 75 miles of OKC - 08/09/18 01:05 AM

I love to see all the interest in Konawa. I grew up in the Ada area, and fished that hot sucker almost daily in the 70's and early 80's. My brother-in-law recently retired as one of the OG&E plant managers, and my nephew-in-law was the senior plant manager there for years. It's my understanding is that this particular OG&E plant is old, but still operational. Because it's old, it's not as efficient as the newer ones. Because of the cost to actually run it, they only win the bids to produce electricity when there is high demand, like the summer time. In the winter, lower demand keeps them from running except under the most extreme conditions.

Used to be that it was bath water in the summer, and nice and warm in the winter. The LMBs were plentyful, and many whoppers were caught, including a state record I believe. I learned to fish plastic worms on the rocks at the dam. Lessons learned there are still in use today.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum