Texas Fishing Forum

Freddie Grant

Posted By: Beast From The East

Freddie Grant - 08/05/18 10:50 PM

Just got word from my dad, that our friend Freddie Grant passed away this morning in Corsicana, Texas. Years ago, Freddie had his own fishing show in the Dallas area and had a large following. “Fun of Fishing with Freddie Grant” Freddie fished professionally and guided on several different area lakes. I’ll post up arrangements when we know something.

Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/05/18 10:57 PM

Used to watch his show every week RIP. One of the good things about his show is he mostly fished public lakes and would show on a map where he caught fish. Always used a Buck knife as a pointer...good stuff.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 12:06 AM

Sad to hear it RIP
J D
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 12:43 AM

Sorry to hear this, Happy Fishing Freddie! I watched many of his shows and actually met him at a Freddie Grant/KPLX 99.5 THE WOLF big bass tournament on Granbury many years ago. He was a cool guy, I had had caught a big smallmouth....by the standards back then....and he came looking for me at the end of the tournament and found me in a cafe, said that my fish was a new lake record and he would submit the paperwork to the state. He also said that he was supposed to release all but the top winning fish and mine placed 13th against the bigger largemouths but since it was a lake record he had kept it in the tank for me to take to the taxidermist. Great guy! RIP
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 12:44 AM

RIP Freddie. Funny story, Freddie had kind of a long skinny neck and a pronounced adams apple , every time we would see a heron or some kind of fishing bird on a point we would say, there is old Freddie, been saying it for years.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 01:13 AM

Another Old Master gone. Glad to hear so many learned something from his knowledge. I understand he worked very hard to grow the sport of fishing. My condolences to the family and friends of a man that made a difference in lots of people's lives.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 02:45 AM

I saw him on Murvaul around 1980 when we were fishing a club tournament. His "camera person" was a nice looking redhead.

He was one of the biggest fishing shows around here back then. Sorry to hear about his passing.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 02:50 AM

Fun of Fishin Nevers Gets Old...

Rest in Peace Freddie
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 03:01 AM

A true Texas Bass Fishing Legend, RIP Freddie G.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 03:05 AM

RIP
Posted By: kcb

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 04:20 AM

Met Freddie at a Tackle Shop many years ago and he helped put me on some fish at Caddo. RIP Freddie.
Posted By: don the angler

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 12:11 PM

RIP Freddie.
The fishing shows have really changed since his time. Now about all the hosts are doing is introducing the latest wonder lures & related products. I find the shows now are difficult to watch. Our old cocker spaniel was named after Freddie & he is gone too.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 12:16 PM

RIP old friend
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 01:07 PM

RIP, Freddie. Had drinks with him a couple times. He was a character.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 01:07 PM

SMH..RIP Freddie.
If I wasn't on the water somewhere way back when, my but was watch his show. Great teacher and mentor to many.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 01:19 PM

Had the opportunity to meet Freddie a couple of years ago. Bought him breakfast and talked fishing for a couple of hours. Really nice man that wanted to share his knowledge. We stayed in touch after hoping to fish a tournament together but that never happened.

RIP Freddie, it was a pleasure meeting you sir.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 03:42 PM

Freddie was an old Mineral Wells boy. He was about four years older than me, but I never knew he liked to fish so much. He was a good Egg, very nice guy.
RIP
Posted By: 361V

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 03:48 PM

Sad but part of the “circle of life” thing(rent the Lion King). Freddy was part of the early(to me) local fishing culture that gave generally real time information on area lakes. Info we could actually use! Kinda like Honey Hole. Info we could really use without pot licking! laugh Was actually a very well done show with a knowledgeable and personable host/expert at a time when Wallace Wildlife was high tech with his chumming with corn on the White River for stocked trout....on “Super 8” video equipment! Freddy will be missed.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 04:17 PM

We met Freddie and became friends well after his show was over. I wish there was some way to watch some of his old shows.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 04:45 PM

Never heard of him, it sounds as though his show might have been the precursor to honey hole.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 05:02 PM

I'm sure his old show is on You Tube. Im going to try and see
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 06:36 PM

I loved watching his shows. He will be missed.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/06/18 09:32 PM

my brother and I hired Freddie to guide us on sam rayburn back in the late 60's....we fished like two days and caught a bunch of fish including several 5-6lb fish...we caught them mostly jigging a worm in timber something I had never done before...had a picture that I'll try to dig up and post...heckuva nice guy and we had a great time...
Posted By: Ohheck

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/07/18 04:04 AM

Always enjoyed his show. He was one of the first good ones on texas lakes.
Posted By: DJB

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/07/18 04:28 AM

Still fish FG cove on S andlin He's shows on Cooper Lake got me motivated to go ..Great times
Posted By: structure man(Guide on RC)

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/07/18 01:46 PM

This photo is of Freddie and myself on RC
last year.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/07/18 05:41 PM

Watched the show every Sunday on channel 11.

He was the first to use a Lew's BB1 SpeedSpool by Shimano and a Bagley Rat Fink.
I was so impressed, I went out and bought a Lew's too. That was $60 hard earned dollars back then. (Still have a Rat Fink too)

I have his record "The Fun of Fishing", theme song from the show. He sang and played guitar on it.

Rest peacefully, Freddy. And thanks for showing us a few things.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/09/18 03:38 PM

Always enjoyed his fishing shows and probably never missed one. Few shows today can compare to the shows he pioneered. He made fishing shows back when they were good. Always thought it kinda cool that he choose our local home lake to live out his final years. Thank you, Sir for getting a lot of us hooked on fishing. RIP

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/09/18 10:10 PM

For anyone interested the funeral service for Freddie will be held this Saturday 1:30 PM at the Greenwood funeral home 3100 White Settlement Road Ft Worth Texas.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/11/18 02:29 PM

He was a true pioneer for local fishing on TV. Farewell Mr.Grant and RIP.
Posted By: bass1n

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/11/18 05:34 PM

He was a huge source of information and some inspiration in my beginning years bass angling. RIP Mr. Grant.

Re: Freddie Grant - 08/12/18 01:18 AM

The funeral service for Freddie was today, if anyone has any photo's or clips from his shows please forward to me so I can get them to his son.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum