Texas Fishing Forum

Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2!

Posted By: KenTx1962

Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 02:08 AM

Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 02:41 AM

Great info. Really want to hear about the 40lb sack!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 02:46 AM

Very nice
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 02:51 AM

Thanks Ken x2! cheers
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:26 AM

Man this is great. Always like listening to guys that know their craft. Some of the stuff they talk about I've never thought of, probably why they make money and I donate bang

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:49 AM

How do you like crankin with 20 # line...tells you he ain’t after the 2-3 lbers I catch!
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: KenTx1962
How do you like crankin with 20 # line...tells you he ain’t after the 2-3 lbers I catch!
I just ordered 4 spools.. I guess if I ever find them I can be prepared roflmao
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 05:06 AM

Wonder if they use braid fishing off-shore? If not wonder why?
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 11:20 AM

This is great information thank you for doing this interview
wild bill
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 11:39 AM

It's cool seeing the different styles between them. Collins with his big bait and power fishing and Freeman will down size and finesse them. Proves their point that it's all what you have confidence in. Great job Ken on getting these guys in the boat and really look forward to rest of these videos and some future stuff from other guys. So many good fishermen on these lakes that have a ton of knowledge to share
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 12:36 PM

I'd pay to listen to Mike Metcalf talk about his history on Toledo bend and Rayburn. His dominance for those years will never happen again. I doubt anyone could ever get him to talk, but it would pretty cool just to hear the stories
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 02:07 PM

Appreciate the time spent on this, lots of wisdom here!
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:00 PM

This series is great. Thanks to these Ken, Glen and Albert for taking the time to put this together.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:31 PM

Jaret, in part of the video that is upcoming i ask them who was influential in learning to fish, and fish offshore, that was a really interesting conversation. But then I ask Albert who he thought were the best 3 ever on Rayburn and Glen who he thought were the best 3 on Toledo they ever saw. It is a great trip down memory lane, I'm not going to spoil it but Metcalf made the list for Glen. We also talked about all the great guys that are gone and all the knowledge that died with them. Guys like Vernon Beaty, Stan Burgay, Gary Yelverton, and that got us talking about doing more of this so the guys that are out there now can share some of their knowledge, and honestly just great stories. In 2016 when we were down to the top 10 at the Rayburn Costa before take-off early that morning I parked my boat next to Ray Hanselman and then Tommy Martin pulled up on the other side of me (yes, a bit intimidating) and I started quizzing Tommy about Rayburn history, he said that in the earliest days of Rayburn a guy from Arkansas, and he couldn't think of his name at the moment, but the guy came down and knew how to fish offshore and went out in the Amber Forest and was catching 10 fish limits of 5-7 lber's and just blowing everybody away. It was so much fun to sit there and hear those stories, I want to capture more of that kind of stuff, and the instructional, on video for us all to enjoy.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:38 PM

After i wrote that, i realized i needed to add something. Several years ago I am pulling my boat out at Hanks creek and a pickup truck pulls down the ramp and stops by me. I look over and realize it's Vernon, and he has his grandson with him. I walk over and shake his hand and I ask his grandson if he knows how good of a tournament fisherman his granddad was, he said "no sir" and Vernon just chuckled. It kind of broke my heart that one of my early fishing idols had a grandson that had no idea his granddad was the incredible fisherman, and an incredible nice guy, that Vernon was. We had a nice conversation and I hope his grandson now has an appreciation for how much of my money Vernon took from me over the years.
Posted By: Kuhuna

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 03:58 PM

Ken,

I truly appreciate you doing this series. I enjoy all your content, keep it coming.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 04:41 PM

This is the real deal here. Its awesome to see these guys share their knowledge. Thanks for doing these videos!
Posted By: C130

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
This is the real deal here. Its awesome to see these guys share their knowledge. Thanks for doing these videos!

It is great, I really enjoy learning from others, especially these guys. Unfortunately, we have members in our high school club that are not allowed to share anything at all, zero. Boat captain won’t allow it, even when we are not fishing that lake again for the year. What a way to teach our youth. They had to swear to tell nothing, no boats, techniques, depths, zero info.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I'd pay to listen to Mike Metcalf talk about his history on Toledo bend and Rayburn. His dominance for those years will never happen again. I doubt anyone could ever get him to talk, but it would pretty cool just to hear the stories

eeks Same.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 04:51 PM

Thanks for the videos Ken, pretty cool to have something to look forward to with no Bass Live last week lol.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 07:00 PM

Great videos. Nice to hear from a great angler how he keeps it really simple on colors.
Posted By: avote64

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 07:10 PM

Ken, I truly appreciate these videos. This is the most interesting fishing video I've seen in years. I cant wait for the next installment
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 07:29 PM

thumb
Posted By: ranger3474

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 07:49 PM

Thanks for the videos
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 08:12 PM

Jaret, in part of the video that is upcoming i ask them who was influential in learning to fish, and fish offshore, that was a really interesting conversation. But then I ask Albert who he thought were the best 3 ever on Rayburn and Glen who he thought were the best 3 on Toledo they ever saw. It is a great trip down memory lane, I'm not going to spoil it but Metcalf made the list for Glen. We also talked about all the great guys that are gone and all the knowledge that died with them. Guys like Vernon Beaty, Stan Burgay, Gary Yelverton, and that got us talking about doing more of this so the guys that are out there now can share some of their knowledge, and honestly just great stories. In 2016 when we were down to the top 10 at the Rayburn Costa before take-off early that morning I parked my boat next to Ray Hanselman and then Tommy Martin pulled up on the other side of me (yes, a bit intimidating) and I started quizzing Tommy about Rayburn history, he said that in the earliest days of Rayburn a guy from Arkansas, and he couldn't think of his name at the moment, but the guy came down and knew how to fish offshore and went out in the Amber Forest and was catching 10 fish limits of 5-7 lber's and just blowing everybody away. It was so much fun to sit there and hear those stories, I want to capture more of that kind of stuff, and the instructional, on video for us all to enjoy.

I fished the Cowboy division back in the day against Metcalf, Yelverton and Jimmy Duck from Louisiana and I knew before I ever cranked the big motor 4th place would be the best I could hope for. Metcalf and Yelverton also fished team tournaments together and that was no contest for everyone else. Talk about hammers. flehan
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 08:38 PM

Any MudBug talk or 9A talk on Toledo?

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 09:40 PM

Piefiller, yes, if it's not on camera I will update later, but yes, with some wry smiles. Ok, since the guys shared some secrets I'll share some. Which is funny, this is no
secret, but nobody uses it. With a Humminbird Helix you can use the Autochart feature, save what you record, and then build your own maps on your pc. This is a ridge I fish on Rayburn some, so I graphed it, saved it, then on my PC I tilted it to get a good sense of what I fish. The little flags you see are my waypoints from fishing it over the years, so you could see i set up just off the deep side of this spot

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 09:46 PM

So you can go out and drag a bait for hours and hours and find these hardspots...or you can do it with your Humminbird. As you record the Bird will pick up bottom hardness data, so I knew from fishing it that there was a hardspot on this ridge. However I didn't know there were multiple hardspots on the ridge, the mapping software shows them as yellow spots, or "hot" spots. Using the software i simply download those hot spots as waypoints, once you do this enough you can look at the numerical value of those hotspots on the software and immediately know clay, rock, or concrete. Shell beds show a numerical value between clay and rock, so when i see that I check spots really closely. I can find 100 hard spots in a day using this technology. Sorry to say this, but Lowrance and Garmin guys...well.

Posted By: RNF

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 07/31/18 11:22 PM

Nice videos, really enjoyed them. Thanks for posting them.
Posted By: SATopWater

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 12:00 AM

Awesome stuff. Thanks.
Posted By: seahunt

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 12:43 AM

Amazing information. I liked when you asked them questions that they really had to chew on before answering. True fishermen get uncomfortable sharing the whole truth!
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I fished the Cowboy division back in the day against Metcalf, Yelverton and Jimmy Duck from Louisiana and I knew before I ever cranked the big motor 4th place would be the best I could hope for. Metcalf and Yelverton also fished team tournaments together and that was no contest for everyone else. Talk about hammers. flehan

My first year of fishing Redman cowboy division I was 14 or 15 years old at the time. Metcalf and his mudbug pattern on Toledo you were fishing for 2nd place. Dreabon Joiner, Gary Yelverton, Jimmy Duck, Bud Pruitt, Clark Wendlandt were all big Sticks year after Year. In those days most people ran 18 or 19 foot boat with a 150, a 24 volt trolling motor a flasher and a paper graph. On Rayburn and Toledo hydrilla grew everywhere out to 12-15 feet of water.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 12:54 AM

Good stuff! thumb

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Bryan
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

My first year of fishing Redman cowboy division I was 14 or 15 years old at the time. Metcalf and his mudbug pattern on Toledo you were fishing for 2nd place. Dreabon Joiner, Gary Yelverton, Jimmy Duck, Bud Pruitt, Clark Wendlandt were all big Sticks year after Year. In those days most people ran 18 or 19 foot boat with a 150, a 24 volt trolling motor a flasher and a paper graph. On Rayburn and Toledo hydrilla grew everywhere out to 12-15 feet of water.

There had to have been a time when we at least walked by each other, wish I had stopped and talked. Those were magical times and bring back many great memories. Dreabon has retired, Bud and Clark are still fishing, haven't heard from Jimmy and of course we've lost Gary way too soon. Small world isn't it. thumb

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 02:17 AM

Coolest Metcalf story I ever saw was when they had the old FLW TTT weekend events. They filmed Mike up north on Toledo and he was of course way out in the middle of solid timber. It was getting close to head to weigh in and he catches a fish, goes back and culls, looks in the livewell and says to the camera, "I've been culling 4 fish all day". He never broke stride, goes right back up to the front, says I'll just catch another one, next cast 5lber. Heads in and wins it.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 02:18 AM

And for top 3 on Rayburn, in willing to bet David Wharton is one of em. That guy could catch some serious weights. I remember him talking about a 50lb bag he caught once in an old honey hole magazine

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 02:42 AM

Good guess...will see soon, but be hard for him not to make the list...

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Coolest Metcalf story I ever saw was when they had the old FLW TTT weekend events. They filmed Mike up north on Toledo and he was of course way out in the middle of solid timber. It was getting close to head to weigh in and he catches a fish, goes back and culls, looks in the livewell and says to the camera, "I've been culling 4 fish all day". He never broke stride, goes right back up to the front, says I'll just catch another one, next cast 5lber. Heads in and wins it.

Think you have to throw Don "Boney" Moore and Greg Procell in there too, both were hammers on TB. thumb
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 12:50 PM

Good stuff Ken!
Posted By: skins84

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 03:26 PM

Enjoyed the video, Thanks for taking the time.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 04:40 PM

Ken, the gentleman from Arkansas that Tommy was speaking of was Ralph Geissow, He was fishing depth changes in the Black and Amber Forests with Texas rigged Fliptail worms. His methodology was unheard of in East Texas at the time and he was a force to be reckoned with. Ralph introduced me and many others to the Texas rig and the jigging spoon. In the winter he slayed them on jigging spoons....Damn, I'm getting old.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 09:11 PM

Here's some good info on the early days of Rayburn and Toledo and the icons of the evolution of deep water structure fishing.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-fine...t-bass-anglers/

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 11:30 PM

That's some great stuff, hadn't heard the name John Torian in so many years I forgot it. One thing from that, if I read that right Tommy is 77, and I'm pretty sure he could be me in a foot race, and maybe arm wrestling as well, guys in amazing shape.

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/01/18 11:31 PM

By the way, Video 3 coming up tonight!
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/02/18 02:04 AM

Ken, I want to personally thank you, not only for this video but all of them you do. Really enjoyed the ones with Dicky and Ricky also. It’s very refreshing and enlightening learning new things about fishing and I tip my hat to these guys for helping you with this video. I watch a ton of YouTube fishing videos and yours are the best and most informative.

Down the road it would be great to do something like this with the other sticks such as Castledine or Cecil, etc, if their willing of course. I don’t care about spots, I just like to learn as much as I can to help make me a better fisherman.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Structure Fishing Sam Rayburn with Albert Collins & Glen Freeman....Video 2! - 08/02/18 03:18 AM

I’ve been using 20 for awhile. A lot of what they said I have figured out. I haven’t thought about the pegging weight thing. I peg mine cause the weight going through the brush likes to bounce around and get wrapped up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum