What’s the preference for these baits
Squarebills
Jigs (pitching / flipping mostly)
Crankbaits (5XD / 6XD)
Spinnerbaits

Let’s hear from the experts
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 02:42 AM

All my reels are 7:1 except a few 6:1's.

I saltwater fish too so it makes more sense to me to just buy reels that I'd use in both waters. I know a lot of guys have specific ratios they like for different baits but it doesn't make a difference to me.. I'll still catch as many fish as the next guy.

If I'm not mistaken though, the idea is to have slower ratios for crankbaits/divers, faster ratios for jigs/finesse stuff
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 02:52 AM

7 to 1 on all of those except 6xd.
6xd I use 6 to 1.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 02:55 AM

7.5 for most moving, shallower baits. 5.3 on deep moving baits. 6.3 on top water. 7.9 on frogs and flipping stuff. 7.5 on most bottom baits.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 02:58 AM

I’m amazed at the guys using 6:1 for deep cranking. Back in the day everyone said you couldn’t crank with that fast of a reel and had to have a 3.8:1. Fastest I’ve used for cranking is a 5:1
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 03:03 AM

6:4 for everything...
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 09:30 AM

7.3.1 small squares
6.6.1 regular squares
6.6 or 7.5 for spinner
7.3 or 8.1 for jigs
5.3 for deep cranks
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

Squarebills 6:1
Jigs (pitching / flipping mostly) 7 or 8:1
Crankbaits (5XD / 6XD) 6:1
Spinnerbaits 6:1

I like fast reels for baits like worms & jigs. I like slower reels for moving baits like spinners & cranks except for lipless rattling baits. Buzzbaits & frogs I like 7:1

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
I’m amazed at the guys using 6:1 for deep cranking. Back in the day everyone said you couldn’t crank with that fast of a reel and had to have a 3.8:1. Fastest I’ve used for cranking is a 5:1

I used to be one of those guys. I bought one of the Calcutta DC's in a 5:1 but it is too heavy. I am using a new 6.2:1 Curado K for cranking now on a composite rod specific for bladed jigs & big cranks. I like the new Curado due to its larger line capacity.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I used to be one of those guys. I bought one of the Calcutta DC's in a 5:1 but it is too heavy. I am using a new 6.2:1 Curado K for cranking now on a composite rod specific for bladed jigs & big cranks. I like the new Curado due to its larger line capacity.

+1
That Curado K in 6.2:1 is the best cranking reel out there. I throw 5xd's up to 8XD's on it.

I use 8.5:1 gear ratio for all my pitching/flipping/jig/worm/c-rig rods.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:26 PM

Pretty simple for me, on top or bottom I use a Metanium MGL XG 8.5:1, all moving baits get a 6.2:1, 10XD on a Curado 5.5:1
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:30 PM

8:1 for all plastics and jigs. TX rig, C-Rig and flip/pitch. 6:1 or 7:1 for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and top water. 5:1 for all crankbaits including square bills. Occasionally I'll go to 6:1. I know it seems to be getting more popular to use faster reels on shallow divers, but if it's good enough for the master (KVD), it works for me. I can always burn it
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 12:32 PM

6.2 cranks, chatter, spinners
8 - 8.5 top water spook, buzz, frog and all plastics you work or drag slowly.

5.3 deep crank and often smashes them with spinner baits and square bills
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 01:24 PM

8:1 on everything except deep cranking. 6.3:1 on those
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 01:59 PM

I've tried the 5:1 thing for deep cranks and it doesn't work for me. I've fished a 5:1 and a 6:1 side by side with the same deep crankbait multiple times, and the 6:1 will get the bait deeper and get more bites for me every single time. You can always slow the retrieve with a 6:1 to work it over the top of brush piles. I know everyone fishes a little different but that is one recommendation that makes me scratch my head every time I see it. I have a nice Lews left handed 5:1 reel that I never use. Nice smooth reel. Just has no place in my boat.

Crankbaits (deep and squarebill)- 6:1
Other moving baits (spinnerbait, chatterbait, etc) 7:1
Flipping, jigs, topwater- 8:1 or faster
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower
I've tried the 5:1 thing for deep cranks and it doesn't work for me. I've fished a 5:1 and a 6:1 side by side with the same deep crankbait multiple times, and the 6:1 will get the bait deeper and get more bites for me every single time. You can always slow the retrieve with a 6:1 to work it over the top of brush piles. I know everyone fishes a little different but that is one recommendation that makes me scratch my head every time I see it. I have a nice Lews left handed 5:1 reel that I never use. Nice smooth reel. Just has no place in my boat.

Thats interesting, but we all know that retrieve speed can change day to day hour to hour for what the fish want.

I was catching lots of spinner bait fish last year, this year none, I realized last year I was using a spinning reel, so I tried my 5.3 baitcaster and boom caught spinner bait fish again on the first cast and any time I picked it up that day and subsequent days since. Sure I could slow down with my 6.2 but that isnt easy to do when you get fish one two three casts in a row, we all get a bit excited and want to snatch the next one. the lower ratio reels are another tool in the box. definitely not always needed but then again neither is 99 percent of the stuff in our boats...

2 lbs in line size will make more of a depth change than reel speed and will let it dive faster

I have 10/12/15 rods for crank baits and will tie the same lure on all three and let the fish tell me which they want, if none of those I grab the 5.3 ratio rods that have 10/15.
Posted By: GILLZ

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 08:52 PM

6.5:1 on all moving baits (spinnerbait, chatterbait, squarebill, etc.)
7.1:1-8.5:1 on t-rig, c-rig, jigs, swim jigs, topwater
been using a 5.5:1 on 10XD type cranks, but thinking of moving to a 6:1

All Shimano because I've been happy with quality and can clean them blindfolded.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 10:23 PM

I agree with I Fish, mostly.

Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/17/18 10:25 PM

Don't carry a reel less than 6 speed for cranking anymore. DT16 and DD22 all on 6 speed reels now. Much easier to slow down that speed up.

I may have 2 5 speed reels left that are rarely used for big swimbaits.
Posted By: FWFish

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/18/18 01:57 AM

Squarebills - 6:1
Jigs - 7:1 or 8:1
Cranks - 5:1
Spinnerbaits - 6:1
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/18/18 02:33 AM

My take,

Squarebills 6:4
Jigs (pitching / flipping mostly) 7:1 or faster
Crankbaits (5XD / 6XD) 5:1
Spinnerbaits 6:4

I’m no expert though
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/18/18 02:49 AM

7:1, 8:1, or 8.5:1 on all my baitcasters.

I would have to check on my Spinning Reels and the spincasters I keep for my co-fishers that are learning to fish. cheers
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/20/18 02:17 AM

I still like a 5 ratio for Crankin', will use 5 or 6 for any other movin' baits. Topwater/ slack line presentations, I like a faster 6 or above, and always 6, 7, or 8 ratio's for Jigs/ plastics.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/20/18 02:58 AM

So the 6.2:1 Curado is a good reel for the 6XD’s?
I tried the 8.5:1 Curado today for a 1.5 squarebill and it was too much for the bait.
But that’s what I was thinking Ken, I appreciate it
Posted By: Dabaker421

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/20/18 06:05 AM

7:1 for everything listed. Thinking about trying out the new Abu Garcia Revo 10:1 for the flipping side of things..

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/20/18 12:33 PM

I tried the 8.5:1 Curado today for a 1.5 squarebill and it was too much for the bait.

Think of it this way. Any bait I throw out and crank back I want a 6:1 ratio except for Rattletrap type baits & buzzbaits.

If it is a jig or any type soft plastic lure I want a faster reel because half the time when I get bit on a worm, I am running my mouth and not paying attention so I want to be able to take up slack quickly. clap
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Gear ratios on reels... - 07/20/18 06:28 PM

Think of it this way. Any bait I throw out and crank back I want a 6:1 ratio except for Rattletrap type baits & buzzbaits.

If it is a jig or any type soft plastic lure I want a faster reel because half the time when I get bit on a worm, I am running my mouth and not paying attention so I want to be able to take up slack quickly. clap

Roger that
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum