Texas Fishing Forum

Insurance claim taking way too long

Posted By: SnK1993

Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 04:48 PM

Long story short I was hit by a jetski a month ago and it was her fault. She filed the claim on her insurance which is pos Geico marine. The adjuster came out and looked at my G3 bass boat nearly four weeks ago. And he JUST met with her last week. I'm starting to get really irritated over the fact that I've had to sit here and look at my poor boat for a month and the claim handler in Virginia just keeps telling me to "be patient".. being that it's been over a month and there were no injuries do I have the right to really start putting the hammer down? I mean this is just RIDICULOUS. Even my father who is an Allstate agent that I have my boat insureance through said they could have had it taken care of weeks ago
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 04:53 PM

My Allstate agent had my sons car claim handled in less than a day.

The hammer WOULD HAVE BEEN DOWN!!

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 04:55 PM

Well I shouldn't have to do this through my insurance and make my rates go up because it wasn't my fault. 1-800 insurance companies for ya
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 05:05 PM

I'm not sure your rates would go up because if it wasn't your fault, they are going to get reimbursed from the other company.

Ask your agent about your options and what it would do to you. Have you taken the boat to the dealer to get an estimate? If I remember correctly, it might be a total loss. I'd be using this time to get multiple assessments of what you are going to want. Don't rely on the insurance company
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 05:06 PM

Let you insurance take care of you, and let them go after the person whom hit you and their insurance.

Isn't that what you pay them for?
Posted By: Chet

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Let you insurance take care of you, and let them go after the person whom hit you and their insurance.

I'm thinking you do have ins. on your boat. Call your agent and he should get it taken care of fast, he doesn't want to pay for it. Working an ins problem yourself is crazy.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Chet
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I'm thinking you do have ins. on your boat. Call your agent and he should get it taken care of fast, he doesn't want to pay for it. Working an ins problem yourself is crazy.

Educate yourself on how your insurance coverage works and let your agent and insurance company work for you, that is what you pay them to do...
Posted By: 9094

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 07:23 PM

Progressive had me send pictures sent a check the same day. Also with a not that if there was any damage they missed have repair shop call them. I was back on water in a week.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 09:07 PM

I would make them pay you x amount for every day you can't get on the water.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 10:39 PM

Too long. Foremost did mine in a week.
Posted By: Dax Davis

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/15/18 11:55 PM

You can file on yours and get it done and then your insurance will go after hers!!!! Will not affect your rates!
Posted By: KingChamp202

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 12:02 AM

Ask your dad lol.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By: H2ODawg67
I would make them pay you x amount for every day you can't get on the water.

Good luck with that.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 12:22 PM

I think legally they have 30 days. But they are trying to make it your fault. That’s why they interviewed her

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 08:07 PM

Well I got a call back today saying they wanna pay me 7,770 For my hull alone and 595 for the cost to transfer my outboard and accessories. I'm not gonna sign anything yet because theres no way in hell I'm gonna find a hull as nice as the one I've had for that money. Paid 10,500 cash 2 months ago for that boat. Feels like 3 hard years of saving is gone because some idiot on a jetski plowed into me. mad
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 08:52 PM

Go get a second estimate on the damage and send that to them and your insurance.. I have a set price with insurance for my boat. Things like graph and trolling motor is extra. My boat is a 1999 cobra.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Snook20
Well I got a call back today saying they wanna pay me 7,770 For my hull alone and 595 for the cost to transfer my outboard and accessories. I'm not gonna sign anything yet because theres no way in hell I'm gonna find a hull as nice as the one I've had for that money. Paid 10,500 cash 2 months ago for that boat. Feels like 3 hard years of saving is gone because some idiot on a jetski plowed into me. mad

Did you negotiate an agreed-value for the hull when you set up your insurance policy? From a casual observer, 8,365 after deductibles to replace only the hull of a complete rig that you paid 10,500 total for sounds pretty reasonable.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
Originally Posted By: Snook20

Did you negotiate an agreed-value for the hull when you set up your insurance policy? From a casual observer, 8,365 after deductibles to replace only the hull of a complete rig that you paid 10,500 total for sounds pretty reasonable.

^^^This^^^
Even wrecked you can probably get 4-5k for it. That would put you money ahead towards a nicer rig. Very rarely does someone come out ahead with an insurance claim. Yes it sucks to be in a accident and suffer a loss but sadly insurance companies don't pay out for sentimental value.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/16/18 11:24 PM

Seems reasonable. U still got everything, trailer and motor. I understand it will be tuff to get a hull only. But u could find a hull and motor. And sell your extras at that point.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 12:34 AM

I’m guessing you don’t have boat Insurance your self correct?
Posted By: captain-kilroy

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 01:02 AM

I know your pain. My 11 month old zx 250 was rear ended two months ago. The insurance company for the person at fault told me they would do whatever it takes to make me happy. My insurance company is trying to cut corners. I really haven't figured that one out. I am still fighting to get the boat fixed like it was before the accident. They had some yahoo repair the skeg. Instead of replacing the whole skeg they welded in a 3x3 inch piece. Now the boat chine walks like crazy. I told them I wanted a new lower housing because I didn't have a repaired skeg when the accident happened. But, the fight continues.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 01:46 AM

you said you paid 10k for a complete boat and they are offering over 7k for just the hull? What is the value of your motor and electronics? Sounds like a fair deal to me. The only thing that I would question is the cost to transfer the stuff. Would that amount cover it in real world prices? Take the cash, sell the motor, trailer and electronics and you should have more than you paid for the boat.

What kind of offer were you expecting?

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 05:25 PM

So after talking with the insurance provider I get the $8800 and get to keep the boat. I'm wondering if anybody would buy a fully functioning boat and 50 hp Yamaha fourstroke with a dent and crack on the side that could potentially be fixed.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 05:31 PM

I'd beat that dent out and weld up the hole and enjoy my free boat.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 05:49 PM

Lol well I like to take pride in the way my stuff looks just who I am. Mostly my OCD. But I'm plenty of people wouldn't care
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 05:57 PM

How much do you want for your totaled boat with the salvage title?

Seems like if I give you $2k for it, you're $300 to the good on the deal. banana

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:05 PM

The outboard is worth About 4k
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:08 PM

A good body man can work it close to perfect.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B

Yep.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:24 PM

Yep. Fish don’t care what it looks like. The worst time I had fishing was with a new boat because you worry about every scratch. Best time was with an old beater that I could go anywhere in and just enjoy fishing not trying to keep it in show condition.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Yep.

Let me take it to Palestine Ill bump into so many trees with it that dent will be beat right out.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Yep.

Let me take it to Palestine Ill bump into so many trees with it that dent will be beat right out.

Ironically Palestine is where I mainly fish.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
How much do you want for your totaled boat with the salvage title?

Seems like if I give you $2k for it, you're $300 to the good on the deal. banana

I'm in at $2100

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 09:31 PM

I will give you the difference in what the insurance company paid you and what you paid for the boat. You will end up with the exact amount of money in your pocket you began with...
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/17/18 09:57 PM

Have the hull repaired so it's seaworthy, then wrap it. You'll have enough left over for some nice additional toys.
Posted By: tsubrett

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
I think legally they have 30 days. But they are trying to make it your fault. That’s why they interviewed her

clearly you know nothing about insurance. They interview all parties to determine liability. They are just gathering facts and then determining liability. You don't know if they had issues getting a hold of their insured. You don't know if there was a coverage issue. There are tons of factors that go into a liability claim. 30 days is a pretty wild amount of time to wait however.
Posted By: 89javelin100

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 02:55 PM

I heard always file claim with your own company so that way this is covered..?

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 02:57 PM

Wouldn't be a bad idea if you have stated value policy and its a total loss. With the other carrier, they will only pay you actual cash value. Me personally, I would pursue my own carrier then have them subrogate the at fault carrier for damages. I have way more leverage with my carrier than with the other persons carrier.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 05:36 PM

Cash that check and sell the boat to KD!
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 05:56 PM

I'll go $2500 for the rig as is.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/18/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
I'll go $2500 for the rig as is.

$2550
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 01:14 AM

Well what i want to ask how did she hit you.
had she been drinking or just that careless Wow broadside of the boat also just wow !!
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 01:07 PM

$2575.00 popcorn
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 06:50 PM

As a former insurance agent I had to deal with my boat being rear-ended by someone, it sat for a month before an adjuster looked at it, another month before the check was processed. It was like pulling teeth, never again.

I didn't get my insurance involved because there was no need to, they have to file a claim to proceed at that point. Why file a claim with your insurance company if it isn't your fault? A claim is a claim is a claim as they say! The only way I would have got my insurance company involved is if, they didn't have insurance or there was a lapse in coverage on their part. At this point, you as the policy holder are possibly subject to a sur-charge at a future renewal based on the claim at fault or not, may not happen but insurance agents are not under-writters, under-writters determine your future rates.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 06:53 PM

$2575.50
Posted By: old bob

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 07:27 PM

$3000.00 CASH if you have a clear title.
thanks, Robert
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/19/18 08:19 PM

Happy birthday Chris! happybday
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 07/20/18 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: tsubrett
Originally Posted By: Flooringit

clearly you know nothing about insurance. They interview all parties to determine liability. They are just gathering facts and then determining liability. You don't know if they had issues getting a hold of their insured. You don't know if there was a coverage issue. There are tons of factors that go into a liability claim. 30 days is a pretty wild amount of time to wait however.

I do know for a fact that they can drag it out 30 days ! I had a truck stolen and found wrecked in a 4x4 spot , I wanted it taken care of right away since it was found and I needed a truck to work. They gave me a rental car till they paid it off which took 45 days. Which was the 30th day after it was found. But I don’t want to argue with you , your obviously a pro.

Re: Insurance claim taking way too long - 08/10/18 01:10 PM

Well I currently work for a particular insurance company in texas as a multi line senior adjuster. Been doing it over 8 years now. Maybe a little more knowledge on the subject.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum