Texas Fishing Forum

Ivie accident

Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Ivie accident - 07/11/18 12:19 AM

A man was running up the Concho early morning hours ran through some trees and had been missing all day. I made the run up there this afternoon to see if I could help in any way and at that time they were trying to pull the boat off the bank. I was talking to some people on the bank and the man came floating within a few feet of us, about 10 ft from the bank. Been along time since we have had an accident like this, prayers to his family.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 12:35 AM

Sad deal
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 12:56 AM

Never something anyone wants to witness. Sad deal
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:05 AM

Sad. Tragic. Glad you went to try and help.....sorry for what you witnessed.

Prayers for his family.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:06 AM

Hate to read this. Prayers up angel
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 02:42 AM

I heard this on Pratt on Texas... prayers
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 02:51 AM

Very sad. I was looking at huge trees I was running over earlier this spring I didnt realize were there on Benbrook. Never know when ya go back and the lake has fallen just enough to hit em. Scary or I'm getting old.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs
Very sad. I was looking at huge trees I was running over earlier this spring I didnt realize were there on Benbrook. Never know when ya go back and the lake has fallen just enough to hit em. Scary or I'm getting old.

No what you mean but this was trees standing 20ft out of the water, he just misread his GPS and the fact it was 1am didn't help. Sad deal over all, hate to see someone make that kind of mistake.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 08:43 AM

I saw this on the local news yesterday. Prayers for his family.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Sad. Tragic. Glad you went to try and help.....sorry for what you witnessed.

Prayers for his family.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:07 PM

Very sad for sure. There is no way I'm running at night just watching a trail on the GPS. There are just too many things that could go wrong in that scenario. Boats without lights on, floaters, and drifting off the gps trail are just a few things that could go wrong very quickly.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:09 PM

Prayers sent to family and friends. Sorry to hear this.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:16 PM

Yes very sorry that you had to witness that. And very sorry for the people involved. Prayers up.

Never take this life we have for granted. Fish hard and love strong!!
Posted By: bassinbiker

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:22 PM

Sad deal for sure. Good on ya for helping out. Sorry you had to witness that, I am sure it was a traumatic deal. Prayers for family and friends, and you too, Chewy!!
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:24 PM

Sad stuff... :-( RIP
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 01:46 PM

Man that's horrible
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 03:12 PM

Sad deal. Prayers sent!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 03:18 PM

That is a bad deal, I will barely run on pad after dark and only if I am familiar with lake.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 03:24 PM

Sad deal for sure.

With the water levels at what they are, I don't like making that run in the daytime.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Sad deal for sure.

With the water levels at what they are, I don't like making that run in the daytime.

I have not been to Ivie in 7 years cannot imagine that run with the level it is at now.
Posted By: Bassin Fever

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 08:27 PM

Running up Concho is hard in the daylight, I hate to run it at 1:00 am for sure. Just idling I've hit trees up there. Prayers for his family.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Sad deal for sure.

Chris it's real skinny up there right now and will get worse. This was the first trip I've made up the river in a year probably. I know the lake fairly well and no way would I run that end in the dark, just asking for trouble.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:28 PM

Was the guy familiar with the lake?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:36 PM

Every decision has consequences, unfortunately the consequences of that decision cost a man his life.

Prayers sent angel
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking

News article said him and his wife retired and moved there from Midland a few months ago. While I've been to Ivie a few times I think its one of those lakes that takes years to learn. At its current level you don't have to stray very far off course even with a GPS to find yourself running through submerged trees.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
Originally Posted By: leethefishking

News article said him and his wife retired and moved there from Midland a few months ago. While I've been to Ivie a few times I think its one of those lakes that takes years to learn. At its current level you don't have to stray very far off course even with a GPS to find yourself running through submerged trees.

Ther are some big trees starting to show in the river on the north end, and when you make the turn into the Concho is so narrow up there now if you make a mistake especially in the dark it could get serious real quick. He decided to go out at midnight that night for some reason, and the area he was in the river makes a swing to the left. He ran a minimum of 100yds through those trees. From the river channel I couldn't see the boat at all so he had to have been moving pretty quick.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:54 PM

Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 09:58 PM

That sucks. That part of the lake is scary. Fish Killer and I Have run through some Gnarly stuff on Ivie but never at night. prayers out to all involved. You're a good dude for trying to help. sorry you had to see what you saw.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 10:39 PM

That sucks. Sorry you had to find him. If they found foot prints in front of his boat. Any idea how he ended up dead in the water?

Re: Ivie accident - 07/11/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
That sucks. Sorry you had to find him. If they found foot prints in front of his boat. Any idea how he ended up dead in the water?

He had to cross a creek channel towards the houses up there, it's not more than a few feet deep in that area and he was about 10ft from the bank where he floated up. I was literally on top of him with my boat and trolling motor and had just moved away from him when he surfaced. I can't get the image out of my mind, seeing the lady on the bank within a few feet of all of this breaking down is still in my mind. I have no idea if it was his wife or family member,mbut she was crushed. Won't go into anymore details about that but will say it was a long ride back to Kennedy to load, I never stopped to wet a hook, went to the ramp and loaded my boat and went to the house. I've been living here full time for 7yrs and have never met the man before but he was one of us.......... He was a fisherman.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Ivie accident - 07/12/18 12:28 AM

Very sad. Prayers sent.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Ivie accident - 07/13/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Originally Posted By: Dubee

He had to cross a creek channel towards the houses up there, it's not more than a few feet deep in that area and he was about 10ft from the bank where he floated up. I was literally on top of him with my boat and trolling motor and had just moved away from him when he surfaced. I can't get the image out of my mind, seeing the lady on the bank within a few feet of all of this breaking down is still in my mind. I have no idea if it was his wife or family member,mbut she was crushed. Won't go into anymore details about that but will say it was a long ride back to Kennedy to load, I never stopped to wet a hook, went to the ramp and loaded my boat and went to the house. I've been living here full time for 7yrs and have never met the man before but he was one of us.......... He was a fisherman.

Sad deal for sure. Prayers for the family.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum