Texas Fishing Forum

How many of you........?

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

How many of you........? - 07/07/18 10:31 PM

Have reels, that you own, that you have never caught a fish with...

Have rods ,that you own, that you have never caught a fish with....

Have baits you bought and simply have never used....

Me ? I have three reels that have never caught a fish, four rods that have never set a hook, and countless dozens of bags of plastics that I have never opened, nor intend to try.

I ask this, because today I won my 50th tourney. This morning I told myself I was going to "slurge" on a new rod and reel if I won. I went to academy and bought a new rod.....and $100 worth of baits. I got home and was like"what am I gonna I get to use this rod for?" And baits? Three more frogs....in the same colors that I already have....and more worms in colors that I actually was out of. Green pumpkin. I have zillions of colors I never use.

.....is there a three step program for guys like me?
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 10:58 PM

All my rods and reels have caught fish but plenty of lures that "caught" me and have never seen water.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I admitted it long ago. Screw the next step.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:13 PM

I've got some rods and reels that have never been spooled with line. Can't have too many
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:22 PM

I have boxes of tackle I have never used. I usually donate it to the hs kids once a year. Do you really count how many workingmans you’ve won and 10 boat tourneys? You must be a legend in your neighborhood! If we ever meet I may get you to sign a crankbait or something.
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:23 PM

I have reels in unopened boxes, not cheap ones but semi top of the line, Garcia Revo MGX's and Shimano's.
Rods- couple of Ducketts unused that seemed like a good idea at the time. Should've stuck to my Loomis and St.Croix.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:23 PM

The Tackle Monkey is hard to overcome, I have actually been selling vs. buying lately........actually just so I feel better when I order a new Power Tackle rod next week... it’s a disease for sure!
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Borden
I have boxes of tackle I have never used. I usually donate it to the hs kids once a year. Do you really count how many workingmans you’ve won and 10 boat tourneys? You must be a legend in your neighborhood! If we ever meet I may get you to sign a crankbait or something.

Ouch
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:42 PM

Hi,...my name is (say your name) and I'm a tackle junkie, I've been clean for (enter your days here). frown
Posted By: Rob W.

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:43 PM

Lol
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:44 PM

When you buy new reels rods, lures and they still are in the boxes their shipped in you have a problem.
J D popcorn
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:50 PM

Sh***y thing to say. Bet you counted that comment as a W.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: How many of you........? - 07/07/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish

This^, I would dang sure count them all as wins. Steeze has great insight and seems willing to help when asked not sure what your comment is trying to accomplish.
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Hook'em79

This^, I would dang sure count them all as wins. Steeze has great insight and seems willing to help when asked not sure what your comment is trying to accomplish.

Your also one of those participation trophy types? I won the race to the mailbox earlier still not sure where I stand.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 12:07 AM

Got 10 baitcasting rod and reels and 3 spinning rigs and I ain't buying anymore. I've also got a golf habit to support. I woulda thought you'd of posted some pics of your 50th win. You know up on the podium holding your catch like Van Dammit does. That's quite an accomplishment no matter what circuit you fish.
Posted By: Choogie Chunker

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
Hi,...my name is (say your name) and I'm a tackle junkie, I've been clean for (enter your days here). frown

( Choogie Chunker )......( 147 days )....not all in a row, now!!!! banana
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 12:50 AM

No virgin rods or reels.
Billions of baits never bitten.
Guilty as charged.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 12:51 AM

I really do count them. cheers
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 01:19 AM

cheers
Steez keeps on Steezin...
In gonna say congratulations Steez.
Doesn't matter if its 10 boats OR 200+ boats.
I still congratulate the winner. Just the way I was raised.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

I really do count them. cheers

They all count. Good job on the win. What was the weight? I am guessing it would have still won a big tournament.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 01:50 AM

No but I did managed to lose two spinning rods and reels this year tells u how much I use spinning rods lol
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: How many of you........? - 07/08/18 04:24 PM

I found this one recently that I bought in the 70’s after my first Toledo trip just sure it was gonna get me a lunker. Hasn’t seen a knot yet, I’ll have to give it a shot soon.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: How many of you........? - 07/09/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel
I found this one recently that I bought in the 70’s after my first Toledo trip just sure it was gonna get me a lunker. Hasn’t seen a knot yet, I’ll have to give it a shot soon.

Good looking bait and I'll gladly try it out for you next time I go.
And I know there are a lot more virgin lures in your garage but probably no reels or rods that haven't been used and caught fish on them. laugh
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: How many of you........? - 07/09/18 01:21 AM

I have some lures that I have never used like my 2 strike king 6xds
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: How many of you........? - 07/09/18 01:52 AM

Congrats on the win. Yes several rod/reel combos that have never caught a fish. Many lures and plastic baits that have never been wet either. Partly due to favoritism, partly due to no confidence to throw it.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: How many of you........? - 07/09/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: basscaster46
When you buy new reels rods, lures and they still are in the boxes their shipped in you have a problem.
J D popcorn

So that is a problem? peep
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: How many of you........? - 07/09/18 02:27 AM

The fish don’t care or know how many boats or contestants were entered into a tournament a WIN is a WIN in my books 2 boats or a 20000 boats it just doesn’t matter!! Congratulations on winning your 50th tournament Steez!
Posted By: meP2too

Re: How many of you........? - 07/10/18 03:12 AM

Nope - I was taught by an Fork guide who was taught by a BASSMASTER legend to keep rods and reels the same. That way you don’t have to think about how to hold it or cast it, the feel remains the same.
I have 18 rods in the boat and each looomis rod is for a specfic lure type and I carry 2 rods for each type of lure presentation. All reels are either shimano curados 100 or mg 50’s. 2 for spinnerbaits / buzzbaits / chatterbaits, 2 for topwater / jerkbaits, 2 for crankbaits, 2 for frogs / swimbaits, 2 for worms, 2 for jigs, 2 wacky worms and 2 for Carolina rigs. They are stored in the same rod box tubes, I really don’t even look when reaching for the rod I want. Simplified lures too, I only buy a few colors of the various lures (soft and hard) and I store them in 13 - 3700 boxes. They are always set in the same divider in the storage box. No wasted time looking through “stuff”.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: How many of you........? - 07/10/18 02:56 PM

The first thing I do when I get a new rod is focus on getting the skunk off. I'll use that thing all day all the wrong ways if I have to until I boat a fish. I'm not even superstitious, but I guess it somehow helps me rationalize the expense. I don't have the same mental hang ups on lures fortunately.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How many of you........? - 07/10/18 03:02 PM

I buy tons of stuff thinking I'll need it for a particular tournament or practice and it ends up that I don't need them. You do this for 10+ years and you end up with a lot of extra tackle
Posted By: I'm The Dude

Re: How many of you........? - 07/10/18 03:19 PM

I think my rods and reels have all caught a fish, but I can't promise that, I've moved and move reels to different rods and then back again constantly so it is hard to say. Baits, 100% changed compared to 2 years ago where I used to have everything I could possibly have, got a newer boat with a little less room for my boxes and had to do some re-evaluating of what I used and what I did not, I have not missed the extra tackle to dig through nor the additional weight in the boat. I have clip strip system on my main lid that I keep my go-to baits and colors, when a bag empties, I add a bag. the system has cleaned up excess and is easier to keep track of and organized.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: How many of you........? - 07/10/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel

I will gladly double your money on that bait just so you don't have to look at it anymore lol.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How many of you........? - 07/11/18 01:27 AM

Im not sure about the rod and reels because last time I counted I had 58 combos and have some spare rods and reels that aren't set up as a combo, but I have a lot of crank baits and soft plastics that I have had for many years that have never seen the water.

I have a Low Down Custom swim bait rod and a Shimano 300 Calcutta Contuest that I have owned for about 8 years now and have never thrown a swim bait on it yet.

I don't think there is any hope for people like us. LOL
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: How many of you........? - 07/11/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Hook'em79

Your also one of those participation trophy types? I won the race to the mailbox earlier still not sure where I stand.

Who did you race to the mailbox?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum