Texas Fishing Forum

Lake LBJ Advice?

Posted By: Whaler-170

Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 03:08 AM

I知 taking my wife and kids down to Lake LBJ for some R&R, I値l want to get a little fishing in probably early morning or just after dark around the lights but haven稚 been on the lake since I was a kid. I would appreciate any advice from anyone has that has fished the lake lately. Any species, the kids just like catching. We will mostly be on the upper Colorado arm but I値l take any advice.

Thanks, Cody
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 12:47 PM

I made my first trip out there this week for five hours. Caught 5. 3 on a frog and two on a square bill. I did find some hydrilla near the dam area but didn't catch anything. There were wave boats and jet fleas all around me by the time I found it at around 10:30 am. I would imagine it would hold fish. It comes out to 12 - 15 feet in some places. Try either punching or hitting the outside edges of it. The areas I did catch fish were just left of the power plant. Good luck. Go early and if you take a bass boat with kids make sure they wear their life jackets at ALL times. Those wave boats will swamp you if you're not careful!
Posted By: Whaler-170

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 01:20 PM

Thanks for the advice fivebites we値l be down during the week, I had heard the boat traffic was crazy down there. I run a Boston Whaler CC with quite a bit of freeboard seems to work best for me with the kiddos. We値l sure give it a try.
Posted By: bklem

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 01:48 PM

Boat traffic is not nearly as bad during the week. I'd like to give you some advice but I can't find them here consistently. Fish deep docks is what most have told me but I am hard headed and keep looking for them off shore.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 01:59 PM

Green Circle ... you can catch some monster blue gill on this flat with a cork and some crickets. Don't know why they hold here but they are there this time of year. Depth is about 6 to 10 feet, only need to be a couple feet below the bobber. Hit it early in the morning.

Posted By: ps1135

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 02:34 PM

My buddy had a lake house in Kingsland and we fished it all the time. I'd recommend docks in deeper water for this time of year. We always had luck with wacky rigged senkos or jigs skipped under docks(usually green pumpkin, watermelon red or black/blue). Cranks or spinner baits worked at the edge of docks as well. T-rigged watermelon red baby brush hog was our go to around hydrilla and around docks when senkos or jigs were not working(least weight as possible). If water is calm enough, walking dog style baits around rocks, docks and weed lines.

Caught my PB bass on this lake in a cove under a dock with a wacky rigged watermelon red senko (10.3 lb).

If you're fishing lights. I highly recommend tandem(high-low) 1/4 oz at bottom and 1/8 oz on top white marabou jigs with pink heads. Cast it past the light, wait 3-5 seconds and slowly retrieve while bouncing it(i would start with bounce every second and adjust as needed). Hold on tight to that rod, they hit HARD. as per location, try to stay out on main lake and deep-ish water(we didn't touch anything less than 6 ft).

Note that we mainly fished the upper colorado arms.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ps1135
My buddy had a lake house in Kingsland and we fished it all the time. I'd recommend docks in deeper water for this time of year. We always had luck with wacky rigged senkos or jigs skipped under docks(usually green pumpkin, watermelon red or black/blue). Cranks or spinner baits worked at the edge of docks as well. T-rigged watermelon red baby brush hog was our go to around hydrilla and around docks when senkos or jigs were not working(least weight as possible). If water is calm enough, walking dog style baits around rocks, docks and weed lines.

Caught my PB bass on this lake in a cove under a dock with a wacky rigged watermelon red senko (10.3 lb).

If you're fishing lights. I highly recommend tandem(high-low) 1/4 oz at bottom and 1/8 oz on top white marabou jigs with pink heads. Cast it past the light, wait 3-5 seconds and slowly retrieve while bouncing it(i would start with bounce every second and adjust as needed). Hold on tight to that rod, they hit HARD. as per location, try to stay out on main lake and deep-ish water(we didn't touch anything less than 6 ft).

Since LBJ is a constant level lake and you're recommending deep docks I have two questions and using the assumption we are talking about the depth at the far end of the dock from the shore. 1) what would you say "average" depth for these are? 2) What would you consider deep? At Tawakoni for example deep might be three feet. On Travis deep may be 63 feet. Thanks!
Posted By: ps1135

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: fivebites
Originally Posted By: ps1135

Since LBJ is a constant level lake and you're recommending deep docks I have two questions and using the assumption we are talking about the depth at the far end of the dock from the shore. 1) what would you say "average" depth for these are? 2) What would you consider deep? At Tawakoni for example deep might be three feet. On Travis deep may be 63 feet. Thanks!

By deep I meant 10+ft of water. Might not be as deep as some think I suppose. roflmao
We fished docks between 10-20 ft. basically docks that are by edge or on channel on main lake.

My buddy's dock started at about 3 ft and at the end it was about 15-18ft. and most docks by his side of the lake were in the same range.

During the spring we spent time mostly around 3-10 ft deep.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/06/18 10:16 PM

been a few months since I fished it, but I've marked 2 huge lower lake grass flats. you'll see a lot of people fishing these areas. The spots aren't exact, but will give you an idea of where to look.

In January I fished a tournament there and there were probably 60 out of the 275 boats all fishing these 2 spots first thing in the morning.

Posted By: Jake E

Re: Lake LBJ Advice? - 07/08/18 05:53 PM

^ yes that is where most of the grass is. there are a few other isolated spots other than that but majority is shown above. I had a good day on LBJ friday, found them in grass and brush piles. they were sitting shallow but adjacent to deep water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum