Texas Fishing Forum

Graph question

Posted By: Jake Blood

Graph question - 07/05/18 02:37 PM

I can admit that I am the worst at reading my graphs... First, they are cheap and small... When it comes to fishing I have been a bit of a tourist, and have only decided to start expanding my knowledge this year.. So besides a crappy little graph, what would you say is on each of these? I have the non DSI in the front, and the DSI in the back.

I never see arches like the ones I see on other peoples graphs... lol. Always makes me wonder if I am not marking fish or if I don't know what I am looking at. Knowing me, probably both.

Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Graph question - 07/05/18 04:50 PM

Don't feel bad. I have much more expensive and larger graphs and I rarely see arches also. There are a few things that go into getting the arches. You have to capture the fish entering the cone and exiting the cone and have your speed of the graph match your speed of the boat. If the fish is just inside the cone you will see more of a line like your bottom picture and the bait balls will be a cloud looking blob with maybe some dots in it.

I'm pretty confident in the 2D sonar of distinguishing fish and bait fish but when you look at someones screen shots like Wayne's on his humminbirds it just makes you sit and wonder what he does differently to get such good pics.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Graph question - 07/05/18 04:53 PM

Bottom graph looks like 3 sand bass around a couple small groups of bait fish.

Top graph looks like a suspended fish and a couple fish oriented on the bottom. I would mess with your noise rejection settings - that will often times improve the return your getting on those fish and will look more like the arches you typically see on other’s screens.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Graph question - 07/05/18 05:03 PM

Use the 83 kHz if you want to see more arches. 83 has a wider coverage than 200khz. The target will be in the sonar cone longer
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Graph question - 07/05/18 06:25 PM

Sensitivey adjustments can give you a more of an arch your looking for
Posted By: SATopWater

Re: Graph question - 07/06/18 12:46 AM

My thoughts.

Top: Maybe a fish off to the left of the small grass area on top of the hard (yellow) surface and "maybe" a couple more to the far left.

Bottom: Maybe a little bit of a bait ball in the middle.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Graph question - 07/06/18 04:20 PM

Man, I have so much to learn.. I saw it and thought some sh*t was floating in the water lol... I checked the front finder and it was on 200, I changed it to 83... so many settings to mess with... feel like that is a day on the water in itself.

I need to spend some time on the water with someone who knows this stuff...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum