Texas Fishing Forum

How much do you fish in July&August ?

Posted By: Kay Dyson

How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:08 PM

July for me, isn't so bad, but the dog days of August is a whipp'n...
I can still find some decent schools out deep right now, but August is odd, they just disappear.
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
, but August is odd, they just disappear.

Cooked fish can't bite. bang
Posted By: forkduc

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:33 PM

Fish counter at Central Market!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:40 PM

Almost every weekend. But I'm in the salt. I'm not that mad at the bass to go sweat and fight for a few bites during summer. Plus trout taste way way better.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:42 PM

I think fishing pressure bust up the schools real bad.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:43 PM

I am coming down to Dallas and have appoints with 6 guys on July 7-9th. Full schedule to show them lake ewisville and try to catch a few fish. Hopefully, it hasn't changed that much since I guided on there. Showing them where I caught the lake record and spots they may not know about. DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS and keep hydrated. Coming back down in October and have 3 appoints to show guys around then, too. If you keep hydrated, it is not that hot, unless it is over 100 degrees, then it is starting to become uncomfortable. 5 half day trips and a full day on Monday. Just take care of yourslef and drink a lot of gatoraide. OL. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: buda13

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:52 PM

I'm still 2-3 times a week through the summer. Wed nights are only 3.5 hours, then usually 5-8 hours on Saturday and or Sunday.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:53 PM

The heat doesn't bother me but I have been skunked on my last three trips on Conroe so I'm thinking I will be spending a little less time on the water over the next few months. However, I caught my PB in the middle of August last year (not on Conroe).
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 04:53 PM

Pretty much every weekend. On the water just before sunrise and off the water around noon.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:12 PM

I still go 2-3 times a week. I do carry an umbrella on the boat. If I need to retie, change up baits, or just need to get out of the sun, I'll jam the handle between the seat cushions and sit under it to get shade.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:15 PM

I crappie fish a lot in the summer time, they don't seem to mind the heat.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:17 PM

i-Fish a lot.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:23 PM

Daughter asked me at bedtime last night why I have not been. 1 tournament in June, 1 trip since then too hot for this guy this year and I just dont have the interest to sweat just taking the boat off the trailer ya know. To each his own though.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:24 PM

Once a week minimum...however, I rarely fish in the daylight.
I will chase some schoolers early in the morning, but just till 9 or so...then I head to the house.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:28 PM

Nearly ever evening Sunday -Thursday, usually try to stay off the lake on the weekend.

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Nearly ever evening Sunday -Thursday, usually try to stay off the lake on the weekend.

Me too..
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 06:52 PM

Once a week is enough for me in this heat and never on the weekend.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 06:55 PM

weekends are brutal owoooo water drive me nuts they have no regard for fishermen but then neither do the weekend fishermen mostly I find that the fish go much deeper in mid summer .Find how deep the bait fish are and there you will find the fish
Posted By: Fishn_man

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 07:54 PM

When it gets this hot I seem to lose the handle. This past weekend I couldn't seem to find them bunched up and I covered a lot of water. Might have fished a little too fast, but I prefer to find the real active fish instead of grinding for maybe one bite. I usually do okay through mid July but this year I seem to be loosing them a little earlier than normal. We have a place at Fork, so I'll give it a couple of more weekends of mornings and then will probably hang it up through August and maybe the first part of September depending on when the heat breaks.

My wife is having knee surgery in two weeks, so I have to be home to watch out for her anyway.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 08:02 PM

All my biggest fish are in July and August.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 08:06 PM

With every year it becomes less and less.

It's only July 2nd and I am already looking forward to October!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 08:40 PM

My boat has been parked for over three weeks, may get it back on the water in late September.
Posted By: Eric Wright, Lake Fork Guide

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 08:44 PM

till the reels fall off
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 09:03 PM

I went out for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday, and I can tell you, you aren't missing much if you aren't out right now in my neck of the woods. I was only out for 3-4 hours, but it was a beating. Between the idiots on jet skis and wake boats, and the sun beating down, 4 fish, with only one being a keeper, it was not worth my time.

I'll stay in another week or two before I decided to try at it again, and let all these guys on for the holiday shoo off a little bit.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
Almost every weekend. But I'm in the salt. I'm not that mad at the bass to go sweat and fight for a few bites during summer. Plus trout taste way way better.

Must be the worms in the summer trout that make them taste better..
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.

Are you an "old"? grin

I go every chance I get. As the water gets hotter, the fish get meaner and stronger.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
I'm still 2-3 times a week through the summer. Wed nights are only 3.5 hours, then usually 5-8 hours on Saturday and or Sunday.
same here.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 09:56 PM

every Thursday daytime tournaments and pre-fish for them but they begin at 6 AM and end at noon
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx

Are you an "old"? grin

I go every chance I get. As the water gets hotter, the fish get meaner and stronger.

Older than I was yesterday clap
Posted By: Brad R

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 10:33 PM

Probably harder in some respects for boat anglers because of the time and energy getting in and out.

We went out last Saturday, two of us, in kayaks and fished from about 6:30 AM to beyond lunch. It was great, felt nice with a strong breeze until around noon. I got off at around 1:30 PM wishing I had called it a day around noon. Cody stayed out a bit longer. And, we were chasing small packs of schooling bass around so burning some calories.

Last night, I got out a 6 PM and stayed out until just before dusk. Again, feels great once the sun isn't drilling you.

No, for me, fishing through the afternoons. I just don't do it.

Brad

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 10:43 PM

Are you an "old"? grin

Older than I was yesterday clap

LOL....that's not being an old Doug, that's being a smart.... fish
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 11:19 PM

If I could knock out all these home projects, bait building and other commitments I would be out there even more. I started early this year acclimating myself to the heat and so far it's not bothering me much. I am out in it most every day though so that helps.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/02/18 11:37 PM

My favorite time of year!
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:07 AM

The hotter the better for me, I don't mind the heat.

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell

The day will come, trust me. Just need to get a little older and 5-6 trips to the dermatologist. thumb
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:21 AM

Almost ZERO but some of it has to do with working more than other months.

Being in the A/C Wholesale business will do that to you. bang
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

The day will come, trust me. Just need to get a little older and 5-6 trips to the dermatologist. thumb

I've had one (cancerous) spot cut off and a few others taken off by freezing.

I (almost) look like the Mummy when I go out on the water now days! texas flag

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: BigDozer66
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I've had one (cancerous) spot cut off and a few others taken off by freezing.

I (almost) look like the Mummy when I go out on the water now days! texas flag

Me too BigD but all that covering gets hot after awhile and I have to go for a ride. I find in this heat I can get all the fishing in I want by 1pm. Some are saying they bite better in the afternoon but I won't be there to find out. thumb
Posted By: Stompy

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:43 AM

Very little, but I will fish a few mornings this month, none in August, getting Dove fields ready then.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:53 AM

I still fish in the summer but am usually off the water by 9 or 10. Usually tell myself it wasn’t worth the trip but go anyways.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:55 AM

I like august no wind 100+ and very few tournaments
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 02:01 AM

i fish every week, but right now, I am boat-less until my new one is ready.
Warning to you older fellows, I have had two heat stress conditions where your body stops sweating, you cramp up and throw up. These last about two-three days. No fun to go through. I've also been involved in a full heat stroke on a worker who later died from it.
Please don't underestimate the effects of the sun.
Now that we have a place on Fork, I like to fish from first light to about 10:00am, I come in and cool off then go out in the evening once it cools down. Sometimes at night I'll drop shot the boat slip and fishing pier under the lights for a while. Great way to fish during the summer and very productive also.

Right now, Im just going through withdrawals from not having a boat. I wasn't meant to go all the way to the lake and stand on the deck cooking all weekend

Good luck out there
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 02:25 AM

Are you an "old"? grin

That's a Robert statement for ya! Bad to the bone and he really is........and yes, Billy is an old.......me too!
Posted By: Razorback

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 02:46 AM

Only at night. Fishing is supposed to be fun and being out in the sun for hours on days like today isn't fun for me.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 12:12 PM

I fish whenever I get the chance! Usually bring the boat with me to work at least once a week and go for a few hrs til dark. Our club has 1 tourney a month and usually some fruit jars around. Def keep my cooler full of gatorades and water.
Posted By: CBoone

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:07 PM

I still fish. Not on the weekends though. Usually on the water around 5 or so and off by 9...benefit of having Friday off. My home lake is small and doesn't allow jet skis or skiing...but the swimmers overrun the boat ramp and it gets highly annoying trying to load/unload after about noon past dark.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:15 PM

I start getting grumpy, irritable, and down right hard to be around if I go for over a week without being on the water, no matter the temperature. Every time I start to gripe about the heat I think back to the tournaments we fished in February and March where we had to dunk our reels in the water to melt the ice. I'll take the heat over the brutal cold any day. With that said, last weekend was the first time in a long time that we were not able to find some big feeding schools of fish offshore. Hopefully that had more to do with the heavy traffic on the water than the fish becoming heat lethargic. However, we have seen record average temps in June and that has water temps in the mid to upper 80's on many lakes. I suspect the fishing is going to get a little tougher a few weeks ahead of schedule this year.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 01:23 PM

I juts unpacked the boat until Fall temps get here. Just too hot for too little reward this time of year.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/03/18 02:08 PM

I like the lack of crowds and peace and quite fishing a stump riddled lake July and August.
I'll usually be the only one on the water 11am to about 5pm.
It can be slow, but sometimes you'll luck into fired up deep schools.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/04/18 01:23 PM

I usually do better in July and August. The heat can be hard to deal with though. I need to start fishing in my swim suit or my birthday suit.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/04/18 01:28 PM

Last weekend, I was literally beat up by the heat, jet skis and wakeboats. Granbury temps are close to 90, outside air temps are 106 and the fish have gone deep. I went to my phone and started looking at pictures of fish I caught last year and it was towards the end of August when we started catching them again. I’ll still fish, but it’ll be early morning and only for a short time til then.
Posted By: JavelinJ

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/04/18 02:44 PM

I fish every single day I can.

Doesn't matter to me if I catch a bunch or not....good thing too grin
Posted By: Nekro

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/04/18 04:22 PM

As much as a I can, but only early in the morning. By noon I start calling it a day to avoid the hottest time.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/04/18 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Nekro
As much as a I can, but only early in the morning. By noon I start calling it a day to avoid the hottest time.

Same for me. Sometimes there is a pretty good shallow bite in the early morning, and later on banks with shade.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 01:23 AM

Same amount. Just have to watch out for my Wife. When she starts getting flush in the face, it's time to go. Ang yes the high heat bothers me more than it used to.
Posted By: Nekro

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Marooned
Originally Posted By: Nekro

Same for me. Sometimes there is a pretty good shallow bite in the early morning, and later on banks with shade.

I want to start fishing more during the evening. I fish a lot of small neighborhood ponds. So I go in the morning because usually people are to busy trying to get to work or already at work. Pretty much trying not to get bugged about fishing ponds.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 05:50 PM

I’m a air conditioning baby, unless i am really on em it’s time to load it up and go to the house at 10am this time of year and that only when I can pry myself away from the recliner and air conditioner.. I’m ok with being a fair weather fisherman..
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 06:08 PM

3 to 4 weekends a month. It sux to have to work but I've gotta pay for my fishing some how. Weekends aren't to bad if you get off the water before 3 when the skiers decide it's time to go to the lake. As far as the heat, I would rather sweat than shiver.

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 07:41 PM

I have people tell me :

Just fish at night, I personally do NOT like to fish at night.. I know many people do, when I was younger I did it some.
Crazy thing was, we'd smash the fish at sun down and for a little bit past that, fish hard into the night, nap, fish hard again, with not much results, Sun starts coming up, it's on like donkey kong again..
Now, mind you this cycle happened most of my night fishing trips, it didn't take me to long to figure out I should just stay home and get some sleep, and go after them early.. Plus, I can't see that good at night....
2cents
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 07:53 PM

July, August, first of Sept we hang up the bass tackle and get our saltwater fix in. Usually switch back about mid to late Sept

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
I have people tell me :

Just fish at night, I personally do NOT like to fish at night.. I know many people do, when I was younger I did it some.
Crazy thing was, we'd smash the fish at sun down and for a little bit past that, fish hard into the night, nap, fish hard again, with not much results, Sun starts coming up, it's on like donkey kong again..
Now, mind you this cycle happened most of my night fishing trips, it didn't take me to long to figure out I should just stay home and get some sleep, and go after them early.. Plus, I can't see that good at night....
2cents

You've been readin' my mail Billy. Besides the fact I like sleeping at night, I don't see good, the bugs drive me crazy and snakes are attracted to the lights and I'd rather have Hillary Clinton in the boat with me than a freakin snake. If I go it will be early, fish till noon and I'm outta there. I never knew what an air conditioner was until after I got married but once I discovered it I loved it and it's starts calling me right at 90*. Ya'll can stay out there all day and night if you like but I'm fishing on my own schedule. thumb
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How much do you fish in July&August ? - 07/05/18 09:53 PM

Now that I retired, we're at the lake 4-5 days a week. I fish everyday the weather permits, ..
when it gets too hot we come in, or put up the umbrellas,..LOL. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum