Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe

Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Conroe - 06/30/18 05:54 PM

Anyone been doing any good on Conroe lately? Had the deep bite pretty well dialed in up until last weekend. Spent 10 hours on the water last Saturday and only caught one fish and 8 hours yesterday with a big goose egg to show for it. Gonna try to get back out there tomorrow and am hoping to catch more than just a sun burn and heat stroke. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: I don’t fish any of the tournaments out there, just trying to get on some fish.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Conroe - 06/30/18 11:11 PM

Pretty slow both shallow and deep. Hot water and a krap load of boat pressure.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Conroe - 07/01/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Kicker16
Pretty slow both shallow and deep. Hot water and a krap load of boat pressure.

Welcome to Lake Conroe in the Summer.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Conroe - 07/01/18 12:04 PM

Usually the thermocline develops around the 4th of July. The fish that are living in 15+ aren't going to live there with the lower oxygen levels. When it develops they move above it. Typically 12 ft or shallower. That means they suspend above structure and are harder to get to bite. If you can run a crank and deflect off the top of the brush that can be a good way to catch them. Trigger the strike.It's hit and miss but you can catch some good ones. You need to hit a bunch of spots. If you tick the brush a few times and one doesn't grab it then move on. It's the same pattern Combs used to win 2 TTBC's. It's also a lot of work with periods without a bump. They also will get ridiculously shallow when it's super hot out. That's where the oxygen rich water is. The hotter it gets the shallower some of them go for brief periods. It's just hard to figure out where those would be. A spook will catch these.

You can catch them deep but they aren't living down there and if they are they are extremely lethargic.

July thru Sept are probably the toughest months on Conroe. It typically picks back up in October.
Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Re: Conroe - 07/02/18 05:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. At least now I feel better about this skunk I've got on me lately.

Fished again yesterday from 4-dark and got skunked yet again. Fished some shallower/mid depth ledges ranging from 4 feet deep to 19 feet and nothing. Windblown points and humps starting shallow with a squarebill and working all the way down to 6XDs (with some C-rig and jig action in between). Brush piles, etc. Saw shad hitting the surface and graphed fish in almost every spot we fished but just could not get them to bite. Guess its time to go find somewhere else to fish until the fall rolls around.
Posted By: jaw116

Re: Conroe - 07/02/18 05:46 PM

Shaky Head trick work around docks. If you think you are fishing too slow. SLOW DOWN.
Posted By: JohnButte

Re: Conroe - 07/02/18 07:04 PM

Try a topwater along bulkheads.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Conroe - 07/03/18 12:07 AM

I’ve had great success fishing around lily pads and sparse grass using a flick shake rig. Small and light as you can go. Don’t let some dirty water deter you, they’re there. Theres usually a good bite window from 6-9am. Caught sizes up to 6-7 lbs doing this from now to mid August.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum