Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Athens report

Posted By: BROWNING STRONG

Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 02:50 AM

How is the lake fishing lately ? What baits are working this time of year ?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 02:54 AM

Went Sunday. From 6-2:30. Caught about 28-30. Biggest was around 8-1/2 smallest was around 2 pounds.

Caught them all on a frog. Top water. All day.

Actually was some of the most fun I've had frog fishing in weeks.

Awesome lake.

Fish were NOT under pads. They were in the stringy grass and clumped grass mats. All my fish came from 3 ft or less water.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 04:33 AM

Saturday, school was in session! All sizes on the outside edges of grass, bigger fish were found where 2 or three types of grass came together.

We didn't get a topwater bite going, but weightless Fluke and C-Rig Fluke was killer below the schools for unders and good size slots!
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 12:48 PM

....DAMN....
the weekend will be horrible out there. Boats all the way up to the Fishery
I better get out there today & tomorrow ...... early, because the weekend won't be worth anything

Yesterday ..... Wednesday was terrible fishing !!!!!
thumb
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 02:33 PM

Ya I hate it when someone gives a favorable report on a lake I like to fish too grin grin
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 04:01 PM

Few boats are passing over the orange boom and going up beyond the 2495 bridge. Now, to be fair, it is all pretty shallow there, not the place to go if you plan on fishing deep.

I have had good luck up in this area beginning back months ago in pre-spawn . . . and up until now just throwing an unweighted 4" Keitech shad-like plastic. Working along the various retaining walls is good, working the edge of lily pads and the creek channel also good. The cove points are usually good where the water breaks from wavy to still, those corners where bass lie in ambush.

And, be sure and have something tied on for schooling bass. The "packs" seem small, but there will often be 4 or 5 of them bullying shad over about a 2 or 3 acres of water and it looks like there might be a half dozen bass in each group. They seem to stack up most often where the creek channel "opens" up into a broader expanse of water.

Odd, last year we'd have seen a lot of active fish in the late afternoon crashing out of the water, big bass, ones to target with frogs. I haven't seen or heard near as much of this, yet, this year.

Drag along some finesse stuff too.

Brad
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 06:28 PM

Another RIP Athens
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 07:50 PM

The enhanced double reverse psychology - everyone will be so sure that everyone is going to Athens that no one will actually go.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 07:53 PM

Yep, this report just convinced be to try somewhere else this weekend.
Posted By: BassBucknBeer

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/28/18 11:54 PM

Not saying the guys above aren’t telling the truth, but I went to Athens today and caught 3 bass. 1 tiny oneoutside the grass on a fluke(as stated above) and 2 small ones on schooling fish by the dam. Fished the grass in different depths/ locations for 4 hrs. Marked a few fish deep but their mouths were closed. I wouldn’t rush down there thinking it’s lights out fishing. Not to mention the pleasure boats driving within casting distance of me makes it not fun.
Wish the next guy luck though.

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/29/18 02:24 AM

Yep. Athens is on FIRE! Everyone stay away from Clark.

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/29/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
Not saying the guys above aren’t telling the truth, but I went to Athens today and caught 3 bass. 1 tiny oneoutside the grass on a fluke(as stated above) and 2 small ones on schooling fish by the dam. Fished the grass in different depths/ locations for 4 hrs. Marked a few fish deep but their mouths were closed. I wouldn’t rush down there thinking it’s lights out fishing. Not to mention the pleasure boats driving within casting distance of me makes it not fun.

Did you throw a frog?
Posted By: BassBucknBeer

Re: Lake Athens report - 06/29/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer

Did you throw a frog?

I did try a frog,but today was much sunnier than it has been lately. That’s my thinking...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum