Texas Fishing Forum

Steel worm weights

Posted By: trackerman.

Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 07:08 PM

Just like some input as to anyone use steel bullet weights and are they better/worse than tungsten. I saw some at Academy yesterday and thought about using them if they were worth trying. Definitely cheaper than tungsten. Thanks.
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 07:15 PM

Steel weights rust. If you don't want to use tungsten use lead.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 07:18 PM

I've been using the Eagle Claw and Green Gremlin steel weights for about a year now.

They haven't rusted on me yet.
Posted By: trackerman.

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 07:25 PM

Thanks for your input. Not sure the ones I saw may have been stainless steel. I like tungsten because of sensitivity.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 07:36 PM

I use the picasso painted pro metal weights when fishing deeper stuff I feel like I could lose alot weights on. Works fine and cheaper.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 08:09 PM

They are really big. You will hang up more.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/24/18 10:40 PM

I bought a ton of them in all sizes many years ago. Think they were called Ultra Steel 2000 or something like that. Used them a few times and they were really hard on my line. Even on braid it would start to fray. I am sure they have perfected the process now but you only get one chance to make a first impression and that one chance didn't impress me. And yes those I had did rust.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 01:26 AM

Steel is less dense than Tungsten, Lead or Brass thus the size of the weights will be larger for the same size weights/sinkers.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 02:00 AM

So when you think about the dynamics of what happens when a bass takes a soft plastic bait on a Texas Rig: Normally the whole rig goes inside their mouth all at once, hook, bait, & weight. You set the hook and the weight comes out of their mouth a high percentage of the time as the hook penetrates into their mouth.

Since tungsten is smaller & harder it comes out of their mouth faster & with less force. The smaller profile of the tungsten also forces their mouth to open less thereby increasing the odds of a good hookup.

Many times after you catch a bunch of fish on a lead bullet weight, you can see so many teeth marks on the sinker, it looks like you have hit it with sandpaper.

I know tungsten is expensive but I truly feel like it increases the odds of a good hookup. The one fish you may miss using steel or lead may be THE FISH.

Something to think about.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 02:13 AM

I agree with ken. Tungsten is sooo much smaller its worth using for sure.

Im a tight wad and get mine here. http://www.omfishingsinkers.com/

I do feel like it is easy to use too large of tungsten so now that I have them in a container sorted by size its working much better for me. Amazed how seldom I need 1/4 or more.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
So when you think about the dynamics of what happens when a bass takes a soft plastic bait on a Texas Rig: Normally the whole rig goes inside their mouth all at once, hook, bait, & weight. You set the hook and the weight comes out of their mouth a high percentage of the time as the hook penetrates into their mouth.

Since tungsten is smaller & harder it comes out of their mouth faster & with less force. The smaller profile of the tungsten also forces their mouth to open less thereby increasing the odds of a good hookup.

Many times after you catch a bunch of fish on a lead bullet weight, you can see so many teeth marks on the sinker, it looks like you have hit it with sandpaper.

I know tungsten is expensive but I truly feel like it increases the odds of a good hookup. The one fish you may miss using steel or lead may be THE FISH.

Something to think about.

^^^^
This... Comparing same weight, steel is larger than lead or tungsten. In this case, smaller is almost always better.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 02:03 PM

Yep, the steel ones are just too big.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Used them a few times and they were really hard on my line. Even on braid it would start to fray.

This was my experience-way too much fraying of the line.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 03:25 PM

https://www.flipsideoutdoors.com/

I order my weights from here. Fast shipping and competatively priced..
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Steel worm weights - 06/25/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Reel Addict
https://www.flipsideoutdoors.com/

I order my weights from here. Fast shipping and competatively priced..

Only .22 more each for 1/4 inch worm weight green pumpkin than the one I posted... the one I posted is pretty slow to deliver, fyi.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum