Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip!

Posted By: smallmouthslayer

Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 08:07 PM

Bought a brand new ultrex got it installed took it out to the lake, I calibrate it and it worked fine, that took about 15 minutes, drove over to my first spot it moved and then it locked up and wouldn’t turn or anything, took it to the service center and they said the computer in it was burned up... after 15 minutes. Is this a common problem? I can’t believe something that cost that much would break that fast.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 08:10 PM

It happens with anything, drive a 70k vehicle off the lot and the transmission quits and see how that will give you the red arse.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 08:45 PM

First time I've heard of that happening. I've had mine for about 9 months and no problems and haven't heard of any problems on this forum. I'm sure the warranty will get you a new one but doesn't make up for what happened. They are great TM and know you'll love it.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 08:57 PM

Every single person I know that has one has had some sort of problem with them. (frozen foot pedal, broken/shattered shaft, bad computer) but not a single one of them would go back to another motor either...
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 09:07 PM

I had a GPS problem with my Xi5 and was without it for about 5 weeks. How frustrating. The manufacturers have to do a lot to ensure these events don't happen more often; but we still get the story of the new BMW M4 electronics locking up 3 blocks from the dealership. What a bummer.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Every single person I know that has one has had some sort of problem with them. (frozen foot pedal, broken/shattered shaft, bad computer) but not a single one of them would go back to another motor either...

x2, best friend bought one, installed it and made a three hour trip for a tournament and first time he put it int he water it broke. Yes the timing couldn't have been worse but MK put a new one on no questions asked and he hasn't had an issue ever since. It can happen with anything you buy.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 09:23 PM

My Motor Guide is 12 years old. clap
Posted By: Acuna

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 09:31 PM

I got one as soon as they came out and have had zero issues with mine. Sometimes stuff just happens. MK should take care of it.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/18/18 09:31 PM

this is why they have a warranty period.
Major mechanical shops make more money working on warranty issues than they do standard service jobs......... in all facets of mechanical business.
with that said --- I owned a Terrova for 3 years with NO ISSUE. I now own a Ulterra with NO ISSUE.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 12:10 AM

Haven’t had a single issue with any of my ultrex’s and I’ve owned two
Posted By: Matt Wilson

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 12:28 AM

bent the prop shaft on mine but it was under warranty
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
Haven’t had a single issue with any of my ultrex’s and I’ve owned two

Yep.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 12:46 AM

Had mine for two years, never a problem until last week, the monetary on button ( or gas pedal ) was not making good contact, I was told that there is a magnet on the underside of the foot pedal that needs adjusted, have not messed with it yet, too hot to fish.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 01:00 AM

I broke mine.....but it was my fault. IT IS A BEAST THOUGH! I take it for granted now.
Posted By: shooter920

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 01:39 AM

You’ll get really good at installing and uninstalling that motor. Mine’s not even a year old and it has been in the shop 3 times. Very frustrating but when it works it’s great.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 02:14 AM

They will get all the bugs worked out right before the gen 2's go on the market.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 02:14 AM

Haven’t had a single issue with mine. Best money I’ve ever spent on my boat.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 02:19 AM

mine could fall apart in 100 pieces tomorrow and I'd still tell you its the best thing since sliced bread! ive had a button that stayed energized, but I fixed it by removing the button and stretching the spring out so it had more release tension on the button. havent had an issue since!
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 03:08 AM

MK should just give you a new one to be honest. I bought a used boat with one on it when it was purchased. I had an issue about 3 weeks ago with the foot pedal cable snapping. I had the motor in there for 2 days and it was back to me. I have no idea if it was even still under warranty, but I walked out having not paid a dime for the repairs done.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 03:31 AM

No issues with hard use since March. It's a must have out deep
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 03:34 AM

it's a common issue with them. You probably got an older model. It's happened twice to me in under 12 months. I actually just got my 2nd one repaired and the minn kota support person said they have made numerous improvements related to the issue
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 04:36 AM

I watched while Bill Lowen got his MK replaced on the ramp after breaking the shaft completely into two pieces during the recent Sabine River Bassmaster Elite tournament. I think I heard him say that he had hit a cypress knee.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 09:32 AM

I have 2 buddies with the Ultrex, between the two of them they've had to be repaired under warranty 7 times in less than 12 months. As others have stated minkotas warranty is awesome... just hope they have all of this junk worked out before I buy one.
Posted By: sll

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 11:11 AM

Unfortunate for sure. Just another example of working the bugs out of new technologies......and early buyers unfortunately are the best "lab rats" to help with the implementation phase.
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 01:33 PM

Pure junk. stay away. cool
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

I bet there are just as many or more 12yr old Minn Kotas out there as well. One 12yr old MG does not prove the Ultrex sucks.
Posted By: C130

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 01:57 PM

If it's an older model, have them replace the steering cable also if it has the original style. My cable broke but when I took it in to get it replaced they also switched out the electrical board that was freezing up the foot pedal. That's been about 8 months ago, the upgraded cable was new and they had just gotten it in. If you just bought it I can't imagine having the older style though as fast as they sell.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BTwrestle04
MK should just give you a new one to be honest. I bought a used boat with one on it when it was purchased. I had an issue about 3 weeks ago with the foot pedal cable snapping. I had the motor in there for 2 days and it was back to me. I have no idea if it was even still under warranty, but I walked out having not paid a dime for the repairs done.

Unfortunately, MK won't replace a trolling motor unless you have multiple repairs for the same problem while still under warranty. I had to take my ulterra to the shop 3 times for repairs and tried to make them and they wouldn't budge. On the good side though, MK warranty work is great. You don't have to do anything but find a repair facility in your area that isn't swamped and they repair them no questions asked as long as you can show that it is still under warranty. Looks like I have the bugs worked out of mine now and it is working great. Was a PIA in the beginning but I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Posted By: sll

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

I bet there are just as many or more 12yr old Minn Kotas out there as well. One 12yr old MG does not prove the Ultrex sucks.
I have an 18 year old MK banana and it has a ton of hours on it too as I troll for walleye a lot in the summer using it every year.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Ultrex breaks after 15 minutes on first trip! - 06/19/18 04:53 PM

If it's under warranty, Minn Kota will take care of it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum