Texas Fishing Forum

Rapala DT baits breaking

Posted By: Bill Durham

Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/18/18 05:40 PM

I'm a fan of the Rapala DT baits.. I have mostly DT6 and DT10 baits and over the course of a few years, I have had had several of them fail in the sense that the bill broke cracked. I had one split almost in half after catching an 8lber on it.. on a private pond back in Ga. That one was a DT6 that split below the bill toward the rear of the bait. This past Sunday.. I had a DT10 that the bill broke right at the tie point. I made a cast to the bank on a steep bank and it didn't feel right.. cast it again and it wasn't diving right.. so I looked close and sure enough.. the bill was kinda flapping. I've bounced a few crank baits off of rip rap, rock banks.. etc and understand totally when I bust one up on something.. but just in the normal course of fishing it seems odd that they just fail like that. Anybody had any problems with Rapala cranks?

BD
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/18/18 05:44 PM

Regularly. That's the cost of a bait with that action IMO. Also quit hitting rocks on the bank!
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/18/18 05:53 PM

Hitting rocks on casts or slapping grass off on the water.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/18/18 08:00 PM

I like the DT6, but I'm trying to find another crank I like in that depth. I've reeled in just the plastic bill several times. Basically, it's super thin right where the bill attaches to the wood. It seams like they should run a cable through the middle of the bait from bill to tail that would hold the bait together properly.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/18/18 10:03 PM

I lost two 5+ pound fish on them after the bottom broke off....along with the hooks. Bill and line tie was intact.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/19/18 01:52 AM

It’s a balsa wood bait, glued on a plastic frame-I believe once any crack, chip, etc.delelopes, it’s going to take on water.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/19/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Regularly. That's the cost of a bait with that action IMO. Also quit hitting rocks on the bank!

+1 bagleys will also do the same thing
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Rapala DT baits breaking - 06/19/18 02:29 AM

On MOST of my Rapala baits, I put a drop of super glue on the bill and around the bill. Occasionally, I break one, but it is my fault trying to force a lure where it may not supposed to go into. But, yeah, ON ALL RAPALA CBs, I put a drop of super glue on them to strengthen the over all honesty of the bait. Sometimes it is the price of doing business. MOST of my new baits I buy are hand crafted balsa or cedar baits, but that is just me. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum