Texas Fishing Forum

thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament.

Posted By: west tex angler

thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/17/18 11:58 PM

Was I the only guy at Fork who got his boat swamped when the storm came in?
The sheriff told me that there were lost or driverless boats all over the lake. There were waves crashing over the boat slip I was in, and I couldn't get to it in time.
I'll post pics as soon as my insurance company and my wife let me know what my new boats will look like.
Be careful out there.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 01:28 AM

I hate that happened to you. Always have and plan and get to it quick.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 02:41 AM

Man that suks
Posted By: Rog

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 03:07 AM

Were you at bridge view? My buddy helped a gentleman with a swamped boat there.....sorry you had that happen.

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 11:29 AM

Yea, I was at Bridgeview. The waves were coming in over the boat slip deck. The automatic bilge pump was working, you could see it pumping out every time a wave passed but it couldn't keep up, and swamped the boat. At about 11:00PM I went back out to check on it and since it was now calm, the bilge had pumped out the water along with help from others, I was able to get it up on the trailer. Lotsa damage from one end to the other. The insurance company is involved and its a good possibility now that the boat is totaled. If so, I am without a boat for a while. Waiting on the new 2019 Skeeters is going to be probably 6-8 weeks. There are some of those chartreuse Skeeters around. But that color was a terrible idea, don't want one of those.
Rog, your buddy was a big help. Steve and Bruce, again, thank you for all you'll did. The sheriff said there were several that broke loose up the lake and over toward Oakridge.
Again, I'll post a video or pics later once I settle on a boat. Either, Triton, Falcon or Skeeter. They're all good.
Be careful out there.
Posted By: Jeezy

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 12:10 PM

I was on Tyler when that blew through and it got rough quick. I was glad I wasn't on a big lake. Sorry for your losses sir.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
Yea, I was at Bridgeview. The waves were coming in over the boat slip deck. The automatic bilge pump was working, you could see it pumping out every time a wave passed but it couldn't keep up, and swamped the boat. At about 11:00PM I went back out to check on it and since it was now calm, the bilge had pumped out the water along with help from others, I was able to get it up on the trailer. Lotsa damage from one end to the other. The insurance company is involved and its a good possibility now that the boat is totaled. If so, I am without a boat for a while. Waiting on the new 2019 Skeeters is going to be probably 6-8 weeks. There are some of those chartreuse Skeeters around. But that color was a terrible idea, don't want one of those.
Rog, your buddy was a big help. Steve and Bruce, again, thank you for all you'll did. The sheriff said there were several that broke loose up the lake and over toward Oakridge.
Again, I'll post a video or pics later once I settle on a boat. Either, Triton, Falcon or Skeeter. They're all good.
Be careful out there.

Not doubting you....and I am sorry for your loss....but how does a swamped boat mean it's totaled? I've swamped every boat I've owned. Lol. And the current one too. They've all dried out and been flawless.

Was it beat up by the waves?

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 03:46 PM

It was crashing into the riprap and the steel walkway to the slips. It wasn't just swamped.
It is within $2500 of being totaled so I'm just trading it in on a new one which is okay with me
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 04:09 PM

That stinks. I got off the water right before the storm hit, it came out of nowhere and it seem to fizzle out at the bottom end of the lake. I bet the north end of the lake was rocking. What a damper to start your SOT weekend. Sorry man.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 04:10 PM

Typical Fork storm sudden and strong. Mine was under cover at fish camp with 4 other boats. Sat outside on patio and enjoyed the storm and some Crown!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 04:13 PM

FYI, a number for Fork guide boats are or will be available soon. Save yourself about $20,000 and still get licensed as new with full warranty.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 05:26 PM

Sounds like you're not too upset about replacing that boat. I was on Fork that afternoon too and you could see the dark clouds coming in from the North. That's when I started checking the radar on my phone every 15 minutes or so. Once we could hear rumblings of thunder in the distance we headed to the boat ramp and loaded up in plenty of time. In fact, we were eating some Mexican food in Emory when the rain started. I'd rather be off the lake a little too early than wait too late when it comes to storms!

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 05:41 PM

Thx fellows. I just got the insurance estimate and the bill was almost what the boat was worth. I could just keep the boat but of all people, my wife wants me to get a new one. I'm looking at several brands right now and I'm thinking in about 2 weeks, I'll either have a new boat or go back to deer hunting.
Either way, I've got to have something to waste my time on.
Someone said that I don't sound too broken up about it. I like the idea of a new boat but I don't like the idea of spending more money on a hobby.
Oh well
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 05:48 PM

If you don't get a new or new-to-you boat you'll regret it, trust me. I gave up fishing for awhile and was miserable. I play lots of golf but nothing, and I mean nothing beats a sunrise or sunset on the water and fishing/catching is just a side benefit. GET A BOAT DAMMIT.

Re: thursday everning storm at fork before Skeeter owners tournament. - 06/18/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
If you don't get a new or new-to-you boat you'll regret it, trust me. I gave up fishing for awhile and was miserable. I play lots of golf but nothing, and I mean nothing beats a sunrise or sunset on the water and fishing/catching is just a side benefit. GET A BOAT DAMMIT.

Alright, Alright, I'll get a boat.
Those sunrises and sunsets are better than church for me,,, there's not enough of them left.. When Im not fishing, Im always in the boat garage changing things around and waxing my boat. Just BS stuff that keeps me going.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum