Texas Fishing Forum

Major League Fishing Structure Questions

Posted By: postoak

Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 01:16 AM

Does anyone understand everything about it?

I gather there is a Selects with two divisions - Challenge and Summit and they qualify for the Cups with the same divisions, which then qualify for the championship -- right?

But is there any qualifying to get into the Selects or does MLB staff just choose who goes into the Selects?

Second question, are the Challenge and Summit at the same level or is one considered better than the other?
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 01:48 PM

you might contact major league fishing thru their website by the same name and ask them the question.

I believe the Summit cup is the top one except for the world championship.

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 02:41 PM

I have a sneaking suspicious that *nobody* (who isn't part of it) understands how this thing works. When I was doing web searches I found many complaints about how complicated the structure was.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 06:13 PM

Never paid much attention to that, only paid attention to the fishing part of it.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 07:33 PM

Originally the Challenge Cup and Summit Cup were the only events; they were separate events held in host cities over the course of a week or two. They had an “invitation-only” field that they brought in to the program and competed for these sponsored titles.

In order to grow the trail and media foot-print they extended the invitation and created a Select Series where you could win a path to the next “Cup”. They then extended that to performance-based participation in the Cups with the opportunity to earn a full-time berth in the Cup series. Finally, they added a “world championship” for the “Cup” anglers.

Everything I hear and read makes me believe even the Selects are invitation-based slots of anglers from FLW and BASS (with a heavier pull from FLW).

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 08:19 PM

Thanks David. Are the Challenge and Summit at the same level or does one get a better field?
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 09:31 PM

Fished with an Elite angler and the subject came up and sounded to me like it is a buy in thing and didn’t sound cheap. As far as the field of anglers to the most part they have been the same except for the select anglers moving in and out. Seems as though they have 2 different main sponsors so there are 2 events.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/17/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Thanks David. Are the Challenge and Summit at the same level or does one get a better field?

Same field. The Select anglers are trying to get to the top two spots in points so they move up the the Challenge/Summit level. Bottom two of that level drop down. Winners of the Select events qualify to fish in the next Summit/Challenge Cup. Top 12 in that series at the end of the year qualify for the Championship
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/18/18 11:01 AM

Ha. I was trying to find some info yesterday and couldn't find anything. The episode this weekend was different than any I've seen in the past. Normally, 2 different groups of 9 fish all day with the top 4 moving on. The 2 groups of 4 then have a fish off with a set weight and the first 4 move on to something in the future. But also, I swear that sometimes there is 9 in that fish off so I don't know if there is a wildcard or something. This weekend there was no top 4 or set weight limit. Was it the overall championship? He got a big trophy like it might have been, but for some reason it didn't feel like it. I have no clue honestly. And then you throw in the points they show each week. No clue what or how that figures into the equation. There appears to be only about 20 fisherman total.

I have also heard it was an invitation/buy-in type club where the anglers share ownership in it. You notice they never talk money or winnings. Do they get bonuses for winning or not - nobody seems to know. They might all just split the profit from TV and sponsors. Also, gives them the freedom to structure the tournaments how they want. It is definitely competitive, but fun at the same time. Kind of like a serious group of weekend golfers.
Posted By: Scuppernong

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/18/18 02:02 PM

barbarian... This weekend was indeed the championship. The qualifying rounds, and subsequent sudden death rounds, were held over the past few weeks. KVD won the championship, his third I believe.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Major League Fishing Structure Questions - 06/18/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Scuppernong
barbarian... This weekend was indeed the championship. The qualifying rounds, and subsequent sudden death rounds, were held over the past few weeks. KVD won the championship, his third I believe.

Why you!!!!!! bang
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum