Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter owners 50yard rule?

Posted By: 1214

Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:19 AM

I’m on my spot anchored, trolling motor is not in the water and already have 2 boats well with in casting range. How does the 50 yard rule get unforced I’ve got video of them pulling up on top of me and what is the tournament directors phone number?
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:20 AM

Good luck! thumb
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:34 AM

Feel your pain buddy, been there and done that. I would first ask them to respect the rules and your spot, after that get their boat numbers and report them the first time you go to the weigh in. Big Bass tournaments bring out the worse in some folks.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: John175®
Good luck! thumb

What he said!!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:50 AM

Maybe try asking them to give you a little room first.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 10:57 AM

If you are on an open water hump your in for a bad weekend
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 11:14 AM

817-439-3274

Have at it
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 12:45 PM

It's the same everywhere, why should it be any different on a lake?
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 12:46 PM

dude it's going to happen all weekend
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 01:09 PM

uh what sis you think was going to happen with that many boats on the lake.
Posted By: skins84

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 01:15 PM

If you think they're close now, just wait til you catch a fish.
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:14 PM

It’s called a 28,000 acre highly pressured lake with a big bass tournament with 2,700 entrants. I cannot believe you didn’t already know that would happen!! It will get worse.
Posted By: squib

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:17 PM

In my first and only Skeeter tournament, the sun came up to about 20 of us sitting on the same hump. Everyone was sharing as best they could. One boat pulls in and starts just weaving in and out of the other boats. There were times that boat had to be within 10 yards of another. All of us started giving each other WTF looks--we had all been sharing fine up to that point. Someone finally says something and the guy in the front of the boat just acts like he doesn't hear. His partner in the back hung his head like he was embarrassed. This went on for about 30 minutes.

Most people are throwing a c-rig with big sinkers. I see one guy start throwing real close to the intruder's boat trying to get his attention. I tell my partner that it is about to turn into a rodeo. Then all of a sudden old boy rears back and sends a 3/4 ounce sinker off the cowling of the intruder's boat. It sounded like it knocked a hole in the cowling. The intruder didn't say anything. He just turned his trolling motor to 10 and headed out to the edge of the armada. We still laugh about it.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:28 PM

If you're worried about pressure on fork in a big event you've already lost
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:35 PM

I once saw a video called "How to win a fight in Compton". The guys would pick a fight and the moment before the fight started they'd strip down to a Speedo. Most people ran away from them. I don't know if this strategy would work, but it'd be pretty dang funny! Don't know if i could focus while getting heckled by a red neck in a speedo.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:37 PM

Put your phone up and fish!
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Put your phone up and fish!

There it is right there!
Posted By: GTrigg

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 04:39 PM

Do like the Pros, load up and go to work.... bolt
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 05:52 PM

I used to fish the McDonalds tournaments,we never had these problems.Everyone played nice,stayed at least 200 yrds. away,applauded when a fish was landed.Just the best experience I ever had.Then I would wake up from that dream and face reality of a zillion boats in Birch creek.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: squib
In my first and only Skeeter tournament, the sun came up to about 20 of us sitting on the same hump. Everyone was sharing as best they could. One boat pulls in and starts just weaving in and out of the other boats. There were times that boat had to be within 10 yards of another. All of us started giving each other WTF looks--we had all been sharing fine up to that point. Someone finally says something and the guy in the front of the boat just acts like he doesn't hear. His partner in the back hung his head like he was embarrassed. This went on for about 30 minutes.

Most people are throwing a c-rig with big sinkers. I see one guy start throwing real close to the intruder's boat trying to get his attention. I tell my partner that it is about to turn into a rodeo. Then all of a sudden old boy rears back and sends a 3/4 ounce sinker off the cowling of the intruder's boat. It sounded like it knocked a hole in the cowling. The intruder didn't say anything. He just turned his trolling motor to 10 and headed out to the edge of the armada. We still laugh about it.

If someone knocks a hole in my cowling intentionally, someone is getting their azz beat... whether it’s you or me... someone will get beat up.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 06:20 PM

This is why I own a skeeter but do not fish this tournament. Good luck
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: skins84
If you think they're close now, just wait til you catch a fish.

LOL! So true!
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 08:06 PM

Lol if you really didn’t think that was going to happen then at least you know now so you don’t sign up next year and complain about it on a fishing forum.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 08:13 PM

It's always ok when it's someone else isn't it. thumb
Posted By: GROD

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 08:14 PM

Try fishing the dam area early morning during McDonald’s... looks like a highway up and down the dam... we just all end up talking shop and catching fish... hoping it’s that 15-16 incher! I’d say the boats are realistically all about 20-30 yards apart for most part. Just have to accept it for what it is and know it’s goijng to be that way ahead of time. Good luck!
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 09:58 PM

Lol we had an old man idiot throw a Carolina rig and hit about 10 feet or less from the boat. We were there first and he acted like he was mad at us. Then his old arse threw and crossed my sons line and got tangled and of course he was pissed about it. Unreal
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/09/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BigHead248
I once saw a video called "How to win a fight in Compton". The guys would pick a fight and the moment before the fight started they'd strip down to a Speedo. Most people ran away from them. I don't know if this strategy would work, but it'd be pretty dang funny! Don't know if i could focus while getting heckled by a red neck in a speedo.

This is also referred to as the Hanes defense

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 12:02 AM

We launched about 5:40 and idled over to our starting spot in Little Mustang. Did not have a boat within a 1/4 mile of us. Fished where we wanted all day with no issues. People were nice and fish were biting. Only spots stacked up was the community deep spots really.
We caught fish all day and the big slot fush were eating good. Very fun day on the water.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 01:39 AM

I’m surprised how casual everyone is about this in North Texas.
Etiquette is the backbone of a civil society. Without it comes chaos. Fork sounds like the Wild West.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 01:42 AM

Everyone was very respectful today, with boats everywhere. Had a great morning, slowed down after 10 for us.. Had a great time, sorry to hear of rude behavior, it happens.
This will be my last SOT. It looked like the McDonalds out there today.. I hate fishing in that much traffic, just moving from spot to spot was uncomfortable...
Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Be safe, be smart, and most of all, be lucky. cheers

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TxBazzn
I’m surprised how casual everyone is about this in North Texas.
Etiquette is the backbone of a civil society. Without it comes chaos. Fork sounds like the Wild West.

A lot of us had no issues at all today. It's not like all 2000 people had issues. It's not the decline of civility in Texas.

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Everyone was very respectful today, with boats everywhere. Had a great morning, slowed down after 10 for us.. Had a great time, sorry to hear of rude behavior, it happens.
This will be my last SOT. It looked like the McDonalds out there today.. I hate fishing in that much traffic, just moving from spot to spot was uncomfortable...
Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Be safe, be smart, and most of all, be lucky. cheers

Crazy thing is all the fish we caught after about 10:00AM were slot fish. We had 3 big slot fish as well that bit after 12:00.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 03:25 PM

Here's a good video of guys fishing in close quarters and catching fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzDMAjwNbE

Lake Fork guide Richard McCarty finished second place to his idol Rick Clunn in one of his first BASS events. At times the boats were almost touching.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 06:27 PM

Most of you already have another fisherman crowding you less than 20 feet away from the back of the boat. Why worry about another?
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 06:36 PM

Some people get all butthurt if you pull up within 200 yards.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 07:24 PM

Fish for fun and not money and your butt will still intact
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 07:48 PM

It was BBB (Before Bass Boat), buddy and I were fishing Conroe on our kayaks. It was dark, we had lights on and a boat pulls up in between us (there was less then a hundred yards between the two yaks). I didn’t fight it so I paddled to the other side of the cove. As soon as I started to fish and work my way into the cove the boat pulls about 30 yards in front of me. After a couple of casts I fling one on his deck. All I hear is woo, woo like he thought how dare someone on a kayak have any rights. From then on I realized that some people will always be jerks so I try to keep my distance even if they don’t.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/10/18 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

I like your idea, Billy. I'll prolly be done with SOT, too, but will definitely miss their BBQ dinners on Sat evening. If we were close to having a fish to weigh late that afternoon, I would tell partner to throw her back in because BBQ is about to be served. We would always leave early eenough to be the first ones in line. We always had our priorities in line as well.

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 01:35 AM

This was at 6:15AM this morning in Little Mustang......not crowded at all. Plenty of fish caught there the last 2 days as well.

Posted By: Richard Jones

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 12:39 PM

Just be thankful that you can get out there and fish. There're so many that wish they could get out and go fishing and wouldn't care if someone got close.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 12:47 PM

I go into these tournaments expecting it to happen so it doesn't bother me. you have over 1200 plus boats on the lake LOL
most of the guys are nice and think the same way I do. keep us updated after your phone call.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 12:50 PM

Copy That , every time I go out I’m always thankful , I know lots of people who would trade places in a minute , I have learned to just ignore ignorance and move on . Not going to let Them mess up my time on the water .
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
This was at 6:15AM this morning in Little Mustang......not crowded at all. Plenty of fish caught there the last 2 days as well.

Nice picture.... thumb... It looked like that in Penson too, or so my neighbour told me.
Not where we were on the south end, it looked like Christmas with all the red, green, and white lights.. Boat lane looked like I-30 at rush hour in Dallas. I will say again everyone was very respectful of distance. We had a great time, Sunday was about half as busy as Saturday morning, annoyingly so was the fishing, we caught about half as many as on Saturday, it got windy, white caps rolling in on us.
Congrats to the 11.19 that won my boat, thank you to Skeeter for the opportunity, and to BassChamps for a top notch event, well done guys.. cheers
Posted By: metalman BDB

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: 1214
I’m on my spot anchored, trolling motor is not in the water and already have 2 boats well with in casting range. How does the 50 yard rule get unforced I’ve got video of them pulling up on top of me and what is the tournament directors phone number?

At least y'all could show each other and see each others brand new pole y'all got.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 02:10 PM

This is the correct approach.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 06:51 PM

I had a great experience in the crowds this weekend. I was anchored up on a point and 2 boats wanted on that point bad, but they never came too close. We kept catching fish and they kept watching. That had to be tough, but they stayed respectful.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Skeeter owners 50yard rule? - 06/11/18 10:56 PM

Had folks putting there rods down to troll on by where I was tied up. I would tell they can't catch em if they ain't fishing to go ahead and fish on through.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum