Texas Fishing Forum

Look at your boat

Posted By: WackySenko

Look at your boat - 06/05/18 02:56 AM

And realize how shallow 20' really is. Good reminder for moving into summer cheers

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 03:35 AM

I guess for some context I was out in 26' this past week after coming off a river system where the water is still much cooler and felt like i was fishing in the middle of the ocean. I know i was around good structure and a place i have caught many fish in the past, just a good visual reference to remind myself that it isn't that far down.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 05:43 AM

Never been a bank beater. 20’ is my comfort zone.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 12:39 PM

Been looking deep another world all together , bad thing too many other guys watching me .
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 01:38 PM

I’m lost. 20’ makes you nervous so you use your boat length to reassure you that 20’ isn’t really that deep?
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 04:56 PM

Some anglers are intimidated by fishing “deep water.” Deep water is a relative term depending on where you fish. In North Texas we don’t fish much of 50’+ water. But we do fish a lot of 15-35. So telling someone who is intimidated or unfamiliar fishing off shore to “look at the boat” around here is really just giving them a visual reference and something to relate to. It’s a simple way to put it that really does seem to help anglers get over that initial intimidation quickly.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 06:46 PM

DONT look at my boat! It is scratched up and the Ultrex prop is beat up and the US2 looks like it drags pavement. It' drafts around 11-12", but you can obviously see I try to go shallower. Haha. You'd think I was scared of fishing deeper than waste high.

It is getting close to time to venture out a little deeper though.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 07:04 PM

Used to fish 50-60 at Amistad with regularity. Of course 20' may be deep on some lakes. It's all relative.

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: stringwise
I’m lost. 20’ makes you nervous so you use your boat length to reassure you that 20’ isn’t really that deep?

Hell I don't know i was sitting in the boat rigging up and drinking some beers think the sun may have got to me grin . Deep water doesn't bother me Just coming off a specific body where you can catch them <10' year round it takes me a second to adjust. So yes giving myself a physical thing to reference helps with that. Start approaching 50 and i might get a little uneasy.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Look at your boat - 06/05/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
Been looking deep another world all together , bad thing too many other guys watching me .

Get used to it. Somebody sees you idling, much less fishing you can bet it's a new waypoint these days. It sucks but you can't fish the best stuff when people are around. Sometimes i just mark fish and keep going like I never saw anything and go back later.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Look at your boat - 06/06/18 02:45 AM

I can be 5 ft from shore and it be 20ft deep here. I fish 20 all the time 30 a bit. Prolly start hitting 50 in the deep trout lakes
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum