Texas Fishing Forum

Suzuki outboards

Posted By: Fat Boy Fishing

Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 05:47 PM

Anybody have any negative experiences with a Suzuki? Thanks
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 06:05 PM

I don’t have any negative comments I ran a 115 for 27 years and when I sold was still strong I did yearly maintenance and fuel conditioner in fuel. Never let me stranded one time and used frequently only problem is finding local places to work on. I took mine to dfw alliance in Roanoke
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 06:09 PM

I just bought one.... it's a 2002 150 EFI "super six"....it has appx 400 hrs on it, has been well maintained, I'm second owner.
So far I love it....I did some research and was surprised to learn that Suzuki has built and sold more outboards worldwide than any other manufacturer. They also pioneered electronic fuel injection and are the only manufacturer that measures hp at the prop instead of the flywheel. So, they're faster....period.
Good luck.
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 06:40 PM

I had one for 2 1/2 years and won't ever have another one. It ran great when it was running, but finding someone in my area that would work on it was a pain. The folks over at Charlie's in Alvarado literally laughed at me when I asked them if they would take a look at it. (now I don't blame them!)
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 08:20 PM

One of the work boats at my employer has a 90 hp four-stroke Suzuki that gets abused most times it goes out. It has been quite reliable for us.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 08:24 PM

You talking about a newer one or an old 2-stroke?

The old 2 strokes were known to be gas hogs and hard to find people to work on them.

The forstrokes seem to be great, the dealer network is much stronger due to many new boat manufacturers using them. We have a 150 four stroke and it has been absolutely flawless.
Posted By: Westside.

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/30/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger 177
I don’t have any negative comments I ran a 115 for 27 years and when I sold was still strong I did yearly maintenance and fuel conditioner in fuel. Never let me stranded one time and used frequently only problem is finding local places to work on. I took mine to dfw alliance in Roanoke

I also ran a 115, '87 motor if I remember correctly, had it 3 years and was reliable as all get out

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 12:02 AM

Late 90’s model
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 03:59 AM

I've been running twin 200's on my offshore boat for years and wouldn't consider anything else/ Top notch reliability.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 11:07 AM

Had 150 four stroke,loved it, great motor
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 11:42 AM

The four strokes are bullet proof. If you are talking about an older two stroke they didn't have a very good reputation.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 01:03 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to work on the 4 stroke suzuki motors.I had twin zukes on my offshore boat and they were great. I had to replace the temp sensor on one engine. Other than that is was just routine maintenance. Never had any issue getting someone to the little work that I needed done. We put 500+ hours on those engines. They were as strong the day we sold them as the day we purchased them.

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 08:28 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 09:07 PM

Buddy of mine just repowered with their new 250 that allot of the elite pros are running. He loves it so far
Posted By: Neches

Re: Suzuki outboards - 05/31/18 10:13 PM

Suzuki is popular on salt water boats. There are plenty out there with over 2000 hrs
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Suzuki outboards - 06/01/18 03:00 AM

1996 150 2 stroke. Have had it since ~2002
And only had it in the shop once. Starts
up every time. As brought up, only problem
Is getting it worked on. In N. Tex have to go to
Roanoke or Longview to get alsomeone to work
on it.
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Suzuki outboards - 06/01/18 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Neches
Suzuki is popular on salt water boats. There are plenty out there with over 2000 hrs

Yep, you see lots of them on the coast.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Suzuki outboards - 06/01/18 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
The four strokes are bullet proof. If you are talking about an older two stroke they didn't have a very good reputation.

I ran a 140 for about nine years...
Let's put it this way, I'd stick with Merc or Yamaha.
Posted By: lindsfav

Re: Suzuki outboards - 06/01/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
I just bought one.... it's a 2002 150 EFI "super six"....it has appx 400 hrs on it, has been well maintained, I'm second owner.
So far I love it....I did some research and was surprised to learn that Suzuki has built and sold more outboards worldwide than any other manufacturer. They also pioneered electronic fuel injection and are the only manufacturer that measures hp at the prop instead of the flywheel. So, they're faster....period.
Good luck.

I had this same motor 2001 model on a deck boat. I sold it in 2015 and I’m guessing it had 1200 or more hours on it. About 90 percent of that with a tube behind it. Best combustion engine I’ve ever owned, hands down. Never sputtered and I did virtually no maintainence on it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum