Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Tawakoni

Posted By: coachmatt

Lake Tawakoni - 05/29/18 08:53 PM

Never fished this lake for black bass, always sandbass,hybrid/stripers. With that being said Ive always heard it fishes really shallow for black bass is that true? And what kind of cover is around the lake?
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/29/18 09:00 PM

Yes, its true that there are a lot of bass that stay shallow there. Even in the hottest part of the day they can be caught in less than a foot of water. Shoreline grass, reeds, brush, and trees are all over. Pitch in a dark colored plastic like a baby brush hog or rage craw and have fun.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/29/18 10:10 PM

We fished Champs out there a couple of weeks ago you can catch them every there is anything flooded....willows on points, grass in the backs of creeks, etc, etc. Just put the trolling motor down and go fishing.
Posted By: Rducky

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 05/30/18 08:29 PM

Fished there this morning from 6:00 till 11:30. Boated 28 bass up to 4# on green pumpkin brush hogs in 2 to 4 ft of water fishing where tress or brush shaded the water.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 01:37 PM

Looking at launching at either City Park ramp, or 2 mile west ramp. Is one better than the other?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: coachmatt
Looking at launching at either City Park ramp, or 2 mile west ramp. Is one better than the other?

City Park ramp is good but expect to back way in and get wet.

It's hard to beat the State Park for ramp quality and vehicle safety.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 02:30 PM

State Park is the best and safest and safety is a premium on Tawakoni. Also there are some flooded willows in the State Park cove that hold fish. Had my best luck with T-rigged pumpkin green rage craws and Grande Bass baby rattlesnake on a shakey head. Lots of good cover in Rabbit, Walnut and Duck Cove.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 02:49 PM

Thanks guys. Reason I ask is I called the state park office and they said they dont open the gate until 7 and we will be fishing way before then.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 02:53 PM

Thanks guys. Reason I ask is I called the state park office and they said they dont open the gate until 7 and we will be fishing way before then.

If you have a park pass you can call them and set it up where they will give you the gate code and you can get in as early as you need to. This came directly from one of the park attendants when I asked about it.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 03:16 PM

I haven't fished Tawakoni in a long time, but I have to wonder why the state park doesn't open until 7 a.m. That's more than an hour past safe light in June.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 03:18 PM

Seems like I went in before 7. They have a box to put money in. Idk

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 03:23 PM

You can get in and launch before 0700 if you call and set it up.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

If you have a park pass you can call them and set it up where they will give you the gate code and you can get in as early as you need to. This came directly from one of the park attendants when I asked about it.

This is true, I have a park pass, it's free and the launch is only $2.00. Like I said previously, safety is big on that lake. You can also launch at Sky Point but I think it cost $5.00.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

This is true, I have a park pass, it's free and the launch is only $2.00. Like I said previously, safety is big on that lake. You can also launch at Sky Point but I think it cost $5.00.

If you have state park pass there is no ramp fee there. Have been to the park many times over the years with the pass and have never been charged a launch fee there or any park its valid for.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

If you have state park pass there is no ramp fee there. Have been to the park many times over the years with the pass and have never been charged a launch fee there or any park its valid for.

Guess what, made uh oh. Mine is a Parklands Passport which gives me 50% off entrance fees. The State Parks Pass cost $70 and you get in free. I knew sooner or later I would make a mistake, breakdance

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 05:41 PM

Fished twok again this morning from daylight until the rain ran us off of the lake around 10:00. Caught 19 fish on baby brush hogs,trick worms,white spinner baits and whopper ploppers. Most of our fish came on white spinner baits and whopper ploppers. Caught fish on whopper ploppers right up till we got ran off lake.Put in at west end of two mile bridge good ramps and plenty of parking. Fish came from 2' to 6' of water.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/04/18 06:36 PM

Y’all should fish the Thursday evening tournaments!

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/05/18 12:42 AM

Who puts them on and where can I get info for them?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/05/18 02:09 AM

victory fishing events . 2mi west ramp.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12780365/1

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/11/18 12:49 PM

Does city park ha e a launch fee?
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/11/18 12:57 PM

West Tawakoni City Park? Maybe someone will correct me here, but their ramp is too shallow to launch. They built that new Park complete with a new ramp when PAA was out there several years ago, bit it's in a shallow flat bay and the ramp is unusable that I know of. The Elite and FLW guys that fished the event had to beach their boats and wade on shore to weigh their fish. Fiasco...

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/11/18 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom

West Tawakoni City Park? Maybe someone will correct me here, but their ramp is too shallow to launch. They built that new Park complete with a new ramp when PAA was out there several years ago, bit it's in a shallow flat bay and the ramp is unusable that I know of. The Elite and FLW guys that fished the event had to beach their boats and wade on shore to weigh their fish. Fiasco...

Launched there 4-6 times in the past 6 weeks. Its shallow but you can launch there.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/11/18 01:07 PM

Good to know Mark
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/13/18 03:23 PM

Are the fish still shallow in the bushes?

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/13/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: woolyhogtail
Are the fish still shallow in the bushes?

Not trying to be smart but the fish are always shallow at Tawakoni and if there are flooded bushes then usually some will hold fish.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/13/18 03:45 PM

Mark is right...they are always shallow there. There's flooded willows everywhere and a lot of grass and pads to fish as well. Just launch at Sky Point RV park and go North in any of those creek arms. Tons of stuff to fish.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/15/18 07:22 PM

anyone been out there lately?

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/16/18 02:37 AM

We fished it a few hours this evening. All our bites came in bushes on points. Had a couple of decent ones.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/17/18 04:51 AM

We fished it a few hours this evening. All our bites came in bushes on points. Had a couple of decent ones.

Were you fishing the dead stuff? Reason I ask is we were fishing today and did not get a bite on the dead stuff. Had to pitch into the alive stuff to get bit v

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/17/18 01:47 PM

Were you fishing the dead stuff? Reason I ask is we were fishing today and did not get a bite on the dead stuff. Had to pitch into the alive stuff to get bit v

Yes

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/19/18 04:48 PM

Ok thanks. Going back out again this weekend. Looks like its gonna be a windy one.

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/22/18 04:40 PM

anyone been out there since it rained? How was the water color?
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Lake Tawakoni - 06/22/18 09:18 PM

Went this morning. Water is a little stained. Fished from 6 till 10. Caught 9 with only 2 keepers in the bunch. White spinnerbait with gold blades.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum