Texas Fishing Forum

Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper?

Posted By: Champion1

Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 05:12 PM

Gonna try it but was wondering what color, size and retrieve works best? Thanks guys!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 05:35 PM

130 Bone!
peep
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 06:21 PM

caught my first keeper on Thursday on a small white one
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 06:27 PM

bone yellow magic

the only thing i ever hooked on whopper flopper is my net and the carpet in my boat !
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 06:34 PM

Slow and steady.

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
bone yellow magic

the only thing i ever hooked on whopper flopper is my net and the carpet in my boat !

thumb
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 07:16 PM

I fish two colors Bone and Loon. I use a heavy action rod and braid for my set up. I generally pull into an area cast at high probability targets and use a steady retrieve. The key to the Plopper is the ability to cover so much water quickly. The 130 size has gotten me the most strikes but the other sizes work. You can use mono but just remember any surface clutter that gets in the prop will make the line twist.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 07:32 PM

anybody try the double that looks like a buzzbait?
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 07:43 PM

At 12 to 20 bucks they can keep them...
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
130 Bone!
peep

Sometimes a quick twitch of the rod tip to spray a little water. The strikes can be violent. FUN!!

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 08:17 PM

popcorn
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/25/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
anybody try the double that looks like a buzzbait?

Yep, they tricked me into buying a couple. It's basically a very expensive, lightweight buzzbait that doesn't sound like a buzzbait should. There are a couple of guys on here that make a 3 or 4 dollar buzzbait that will outfish them any day.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 01:31 AM

Only two colors you need are bone and loon, if you can't get loon yellow head will suffice.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 01:57 AM

If the whopper plopper can catch them, a frog is a better choice that day. That said, sometimes you just want to chunk mindlessly and not have to worry about precision or cadence. That's where a WP is ok.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 02:18 AM

I’ve been throwing one sparingly for over a year and haven’t had a bite on it yet. I can be catching them on another topwater and then pick up the plopper and nothing. Throw the other one again and still catch them. I guess I’m not doin it right
Posted By: mudd

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 02:23 AM

Over rated lure
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 03:18 AM

I’ll be the oddball here. I’ve been using one recently. It has its time and place. When they hit it, they come unglued on it. Won’t get a ton of bites, but the ones you get will be quality. It’s no more under or overrated than any other bait. Just have to know when and how to use it.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 12:45 PM

I caught an 8-1/2 in 2’ of 48 degree water then proceeded to put 22#’s in the boat during a tournament all on a whopper plopped ..... I’m hooked. Would I have done the same thing that day with a buzz bait or a yellow magic? Possibly, maybe, I don’t know.
Posted By: wtf242

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 03:14 PM

I have had great luck with the 90 in Crystal Minnow lately. During the TTZ tournament on lake Buchanan last week I caught a 8 keepers in 30 minutes including a 7 pounder
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I caught an 8-1/2 in 2’ of 48 degree water then proceeded to put 22#’s in the boat during a tournament all on a whopper plopped ..... I’m hooked. Would I have done the same thing that day with a buzz bait or a yellow magic? Possibly, maybe, I don’t know.
could have had 23lbs throwing a frog. grin

bolt
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
could have had 23lbs throwing a frog. grin

bolt
in with him ^^^^^^^
Except where it says frog insert yellow magic !
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/26/18 11:26 PM

Y'all are right there no good send them all to me
Posted By: DJB

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/27/18 01:20 AM

I guess I'm the only one that goes to Academy and buys them off the shelf for 9.99 .But they don't catch fish......nevermind.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/27/18 02:26 PM

I use a 130 phantom shad....I find it's best in low light conditions when the water is fairly clean.
Pop it, slow n steady, jerk it, just put it next to every piece of cover you see....oh, and hold on.
Posted By: toledo puma

Re: Whats the lowdown on Whopper Plopper? - 05/27/18 05:00 PM

90 for numbers 130 for that kicker, and bone for both
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum