Texas Fishing Forum

Best deep water bait

Posted By: Bassfisher15

Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 03:51 AM

Going to start forcing myself out of my comfort zone and fishing off shore drop offs and deep points. Planing on C-rigging and maybe football head jigs. What soft plastics do y'all like for deep C-rigs? Any other techniques I should try?
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:28 AM

I like a Brush Hog but then so does everyone else. I learned that from James Briggs TRigging it, and just adapted to Carolina Rig as it's easier on points. Switched from baby to full hog this spring with good results and bigger fish.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:00 AM

For me, a plain old 6' worm behind the C-rig is my confidence setup.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:32 AM

Whatever plastics you flip with will work. Just use your highest confidence one until you gain confidence in the rig. Deep cranking is another technique you should learn
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:35 AM

I use baby brush hogs, ol’ monster worms, trick worms, lizards and flukes. That’s about it. I usually dip the tips too with dip n glow.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 12:06 PM

You should take the Carolina rig, give it to your buddy, and then throw a 6xd.
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 12:17 PM

When I pull up to an offshore spot, I like to start out with a deep diver for a quick fan cast and then move to a C-Rig, but if the wind is low, I will most likely throw a big shakey head or a drop shot.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 12:41 PM

a big plug followed by a big fb jib
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 12:57 PM

You should try a giant shakey with a worm such as a strike king bull worm or an xcite Maximus worm. These will cut down on your numbers of bites but when you do catch one it’s gonna be a bigger fish. The best colors for this are reds such as tomato
Posted By: formula462

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing
For me, a plain old 6' worm behind the C-rig is my confidence setup.

Wow you fish big
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 01:50 PM

I like trick worms, french fry style plastics and a small 4' swimbait on my c-rigs. A big worm and a baby creature bait, too.

Deep Diving Crankbaits that will dive at least 20 feet on a long cast. Staying in contact with bottom is key. 10-12# line.

3/4 oz. - 1 1/8oz. football jigs with rage craw trailer.

A nose weighted swimbait like a Storm Wildeye in 4" or 5". Throw as far as you can, let it hit bottom, five fast cranks and kill it. Repeat.

3/4 oz. CC spoon fished vertically.

5"-7" flutter spoon.

1/2 oz. swim jig for suspended schools.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 01:54 PM

Stroking a Preacher jig, flutter spoon, slow rolling a 1 oz spinnerbait, slowrolling a swimbait
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 02:24 PM

10" power worms
Magnum Super Flukes
Big Bear floating worms
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 02:29 PM

Baby Brush hogs and M Pack Shad on C-Rig
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 02:31 PM

Bubble Fry, a Fluke or a 10" Power Worm. But first I have the 6XD out
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:07 PM

Whatever you do, do not be like me. I go to deep water, cast once, don't catch anything, then go back shallow... hammer

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far. Another question, what is the better tactic, sitting in deeper water throwing shallow or sitting in shallow throwing deep?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:11 PM

Flutter spoon
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:20 PM

You'll hang up alot worse trying to got deep to shallow.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 04:22 PM

Deep throwing shallow. Shallow being no less than 15'. Most of my deep structure fishing happens between 18 and 35 ft. I'd say most of the fish I catch come from 20-24'.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Blood
Whatever you do, do not be like me. I go to deep water, cast once, don't catch anything, then go back shallow... hammer
roflmao
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 05:34 PM

My biggest problem fishing deep is not confidence in the baits. I have confidence, its the worrying about the TM in high wind. I will hit a deep spot and either catch a few fish but get tired of fighting the wind or not catch fish and get tired of fighting the wind. If its a light to no breeze no big deal but I rarely get those days. This is the reason why I want an ultrex. Plain and simple. Park it and fish and not worry about the TM.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 06:47 PM

Shakey Head 1/4 oz with 10” Zoom June Bug , 20lb flouro , 12 - 17 ft near deeper water .
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 08:15 PM

8" Hag's Tornado
Posted By: TexasHarleySales

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 08:25 PM

Huddleston Deluxe 68 ROF 12 (Rate of fall 12: Sinks 12 feet in 10 seconds) Butch Brown-rigged. You can just dead stick it on the bottom since you immediately won't have confidence in this bait (it's out of most people's comfort zones). While deadsticking feel free to attack the deep strucure with a flutter spoon or whatever you have the most confidence in.

Those Hudd baits are deadly. Secure your rod or it'll go overboard. Most people don't have confidence in the big baits because they don't know how to fish them, and usually bites are far and few between. But the bites are mostly from BIG girls when they do happen. Bigger baits like the Hudd can be fished extremely slowly. Here's a good vid of a Butch Brown rigged Huddleston. This guy is a giant bass legend.

Posted By: Tommar

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 10:36 PM

Ok ok ok!!! I hate this kind of thread!

I’ve read through this and still can’t narrow anything down!

bolt

So tell me, since I think dang near everything has been mentioned, what kind of bait will NOT work?

frkazoid
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Dug71
You'll hang up alot worse trying to got deep to shallow.
this is true....and also how I normally ledge fish, BUT, it is easier for novice ledge fishing folks to maintain bottom contact from deep to shallow. The natural tendency is to pull the weight from the bottom during a retrieve. The idea is to maintain the contact as much as possible. When fishing from the top down on a ledge, slow (very slow) gets more bites. When fishing ledges with cranks, the best way is shallow to deep or along the ledge kissing the bottom as much as possible.

My deep baits of choice are 90% Zoom lizard and 10% jig.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommar

bolt

So tell me, since I think dang near everything has been mentioned, what kind of bait will NOT work?

frkazoid
buzz bait.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/22/18 11:36 PM

Keep it simple. Crig with baby brush hog, football jig, 6xd, ol monster worm. Long casts and fish slowww
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/23/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Keep it simple. Crig with baby brush hog, football jig, 6xd, ol monster worm. Long casts and fish slowww

Yep
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/23/18 03:24 AM

Ha Steez! I remember once someone saying they backlashed a buzz bait and when it was finally picked out a bass hit it as soon as it moved!

But I do admit you have a good point with the top waters.

roflmao
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/23/18 08:36 PM

Football jig, t-rigged ole monster or c-rigged senko. I don't lose as many fish with the c-rigged original senko as other baits, when they bite they don't let go. Guess it depends on the lake too, I watched lake travis tournament last week and they were catching them in deep water on top water because water was so clear.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/23/18 11:28 PM

So I see some folks mentioning the flutter jig.

What size weights are y'all using in 20-30 feet of water ?.

3/4 oz ???
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/24/18 12:55 AM

6in flutter spoon. I think weight is 1 1/4. Fish the same spoon 10ft all the way to 35ft and you can really fire up a school when you find em.

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/24/18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
So I see some folks mentioning the flutter jig.

What size weights are y'all using in 20-30 feet of water ?.

3/4 oz ???

Flutter Spoon

You’re missing out if you’re not using one. Lots of you tube videos about it. Just remember when bringing the fish to the boat to keep the rod tip low and keep a steady retrieve, always keep reeling even if they start to take drag or break the surface of the water. They come loose a lot when using a spoon, you will loose a few that will break your heart!

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/24/18 01:17 AM

When using a spoon do you find the fish on the electronics and then vertical jig the bait or is there more technique to it. Spoons are foreign to me.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/24/18 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Tommar

bolt

frkazoid

Everyone is telling you what they have learned that works for them, if you really want to learn something....
Take a lesson !

Look around, ask around, read the postings on here and decide on a Guide who is a deep water Guru..
trial and error only costs you money and is aggravating, and teaches you very little.
There are some great Guides that fish/guide on Lake Fork (for example.)
Once you find one talk to them about what you want to learn, you can spend the day learning techniques, locations,
when and where to fish, seasonal baits, etc..etc..and then you have a place to start learning.

Save up, and enjoy a good fishing lesson. It works. PM me and I tell you who I like.
hooked

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/24/18 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Bassfisher15
When using a spoon do you find the fish on the electronics and then vertical jig the bait or is there more technique to it. Spoons are foreign to me.

Not necessarily on the electronics. You cast a flutter spoon, you need to watch videos on the technique, too much to explain.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/25/18 01:57 AM

Spoons have been my bread and butter for about 2yrs now. 7/8oz War Eagle slab can be fished vertical in what I call "a power drop shot presentation" to fish you see or it can be fan casted and hopped back. Also a 6" Joe Spaits flutter spoon has been a steady for me lately. If they are being picky I'll break out a C-rig with a fluke or BBH.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best deep water bait - 05/25/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Ricky Taylor
When I pull up to an offshore spot, I like to start out with a deep diver for a quick fan cast and then move to a C-Rig, but if the wind is low, I will most likely throw a big shakey head or a drop shot.

thumb
Winner!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum