Texas Fishing Forum

question on shimano reel

Posted By: Kens3313

question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 03:02 AM

I'm getting kinda stumped here, I have a shimano curado 200 HG and it was making a aweful noise on cast so thought it was a good time to upgrade my bearings to boca orange seal bearings. Got them along with their boca high speed oil. put one drop in each bearings re installed the seals. reel is still making noise on cast. Could this be another bearing problem other than the spool bearings? possibly the worm gear? Just wondering if anyone has ever had this problem? I also cleaned the spool with q tip and simple green. I have several other reels just like it without any problems.
Posted By: Beast From The East

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 07:53 AM

Buy a Daiwa and use the Shimano as a paper weight.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 12:24 PM

Check your brake could be a problem.
Posted By: squib

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 12:47 PM

Bearings are seldom the problem when the reel starts squealing. Typically, the issue is with the spool tension adjustment knob that is under the handle and next to the drag. Unscrew that cap and see if there is a small copper plate or fiber disc stuck up against the inside of the cap. If so, turn it over and put one drop of oil on it. Should fix you up. Those discs get a grove in them sometimes and start to make a reel squeal.
Posted By: squib

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 12:48 PM

When i say under the handle, i don’t mean that you have to take the handle off. PM me if you want me to walk you through it. I’ll call you back on the phone. We can have it fixed in less than 3 minutes.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 01:25 PM

Also pawl on worm gear is disengaged on the cast. Look elsewhere first.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 01:33 PM

Depends. Helpful, right?
The kind of noise it makes would tell me where to look. It could be anything from a dry bearing to a worn part. Taking the reel apart may be necessary.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 01:57 PM

If it’s only when you cast, you probably need to oil the brake pipe. If your reel is right handed, it will be under the left side plate. The brake pipe is what holds the bearing on that side plate. Get a qtip with a little reel oil on it and oil the outside of the brake pipe. Takes about 2 minutes. If you bought the reel new and still have the box, the instructions should be with the paper work. This is the main reason the i series shimanos fell out of favor from what I hear.
By the way, I have 3 of these reels and really like them. Just oil the brake pipe once a month if that helps your problem. Shimano has now moved on to the K series Curado, as you probably know. Hope this helps.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Beast From The East
Buy a Daiwa and use the Shimano as a paper weight.
I have a tatula sv and I love it. But still like my curados. I read the yellow maintenance paper in reel box and I think y'all are right I cleaned the brake pipe but didn't oil it. Thanks guys I'll let y'all know how it works, I probably should oil all my curados brakes

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: buggsboy
If it’s only when you cast, you probably need to oil the brake pipe. If your reel is right handed, it will be under the left side plate. The brake pipe is what holds the bearing on that side plate. Get a qtip with a little reel oil on it and oil the outside of the brake pipe. Takes about 2 minutes. If you bought the reel new and still have the box, the instructions should be with the paper work. This is the main reason the i series shimanos fell out of favor from what I hear.
By the way, I have 3 of these reels and really like them. Just oil the brake pipe once a month if that helps your problem. Shimano has now moved on to the K series Curado, as you probably know. Hope this helps.
does the k series have better brake system that u don't have to oil once a month?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 02:31 PM

I am amazed at how opinionated some folks can be. Both companies make fine products. I own both.

Reels are mechanical pieces of equipment and equipment wears out. The bearings that support the spool rarely wear out. If it went from not making any noise to making an awful noise when you cast, something has come loose inside the reel. New bearings and oil won't fix this.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 03:00 PM

I don’t own a K series reel personally, but I think they have eliminated the need to oil the brake pipe every month or so. I really like my 200i series reels, and oiling the brake pipe once a month is a non issue to me. I wouldn’t want this one thing keep anyone from enjoying this reel. The previous series curado and citica reels (especially the old b and e series reels) were just so exceptional, that many i series reel owners are frustrated with this issue.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 03:14 PM

I have to agree with Ken in that both Daiwa and Shimano make excellent products. I currently use B, D, E, and I series Shimano Curados. I also fish with Daiwa standard Tatulas, Tatula HD, and Tatula SV TW. All are excellent products.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 03:44 PM

Well that must have been the problem, works great now. Ken my awful noise may be different than your awful noise lol

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 04:11 PM

Kens3313, if you decide you really like that model of reel, I often see mint condition used reels like that on ebay at very good prices. Folks get them, get the noise thing going on, don’t understand what’s going on, and bail on them. All of mine don’t make that noise, yet. Some do and some don’t. Good luck.

Re: question on shimano reel - 05/20/18 04:15 PM

Thanks buggs
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum