Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Hanselman topwater bait

Posted By: Bonedoc

Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 02:15 AM

What topwater wake bait was Hanselman using to catch back to back kicker fish. It looked like a 9 to 10 inch wake billed plug with red gills and big orange spot underneath. Could not tell if he was slow retrieving the lure or burning it back to the boat with twitches. Wish I could have seen it all Live on Bassmasters website and not just the recorded short clip.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 02:38 AM

Looked like the ol Amistad special. Big arse Red Fin, old school Amistad bait, from the 90s.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 02:46 AM

Exactly; except Ray has modified it a bunch.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 03:30 AM

That's what I thought....at first looked like smithwick super rogue but it's definitely a redfin
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 12:22 PM

I was sitting next to him at the take off yesterday. He had zero rods on the deck. I figured he was fishing something a little different. The key is getting a couple of bigger bites a day. He over did that on day 1 and just had 4 a little better than average on day 2.

Its pretty random what they are doing out there. Cover a lot of water throwing a number of baits hoping to get a few quality bites. You have to believe what your throwing can get a bigger bite and keep throwing it all day long even when you haven't got a sniff for two hours.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 01:05 PM

Being a camera boat its been very interesting watching what they are doing.

Debra smile

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/19/18 01:12 PM

Some toads live in those docks. The key is convincing one to eat. Benton has figured them out this morning
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/20/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Some toads live in those docks. The key is convincing one to eat. Benton has figured them out this morning

Not to mention falling out of his boat! Watch the show when it airs.

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/20/18 01:00 AM

Ya the rules Nazis will come out when they see it. He clearly "shifted" his weight on the leg on the dock to land the fish...
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/20/18 03:34 AM

Dang! When they were saying it was a wake bait I was confused because it did look like a large sized red fin
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Ray Hanselman topwater bait - 05/20/18 01:31 PM

I haven't seen the clip but judging from the comments he could be doing what I was taught probably close to 20 years ago by another pro. I don't even remember who it was but we were at a boat show talking about giant wake baits (back then they really didn't have their own title). He told me to take a big Red Fin and slowly heat up the lip with a lighter right where it joins the body to soften the plastic and then start to bend it down. This creates a steeper angle on the lip making it stay at or near the surface during a faster retrieve. I tried it and it works! I found it to work best with the jointed Red Fin though.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's what he is doing judging by yalls comments.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum