Texas Fishing Forum

Jacob Wheeler

Posted By: fouzman

Jacob Wheeler - 05/18/18 11:13 PM

Either he's getting the very best, outside info from every source possible at every venue, or he's just a badarse young tournament fisherman who figures them out faster than most. Anywhere he goes. My money's on the latter.

I know there are a TON of his haters on here. I've never been one. Kid's the real deal and, as for his Cromagnon face, or whatever someone called it, that's genetic and can be easily corrected. Somehow, I don't think Jacob gives a darn about that. He's too busy fishing everything he can. 24/7. I'll bet he gets a human face when his time is right. Until then, FEAR the MONSTER!

roflmao
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/18/18 11:55 PM

he is a really really good angler, maybe the best all around right now. but i still don't like him (has nothing to do with his face)
Posted By: 9094

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:14 AM

He is a heck of an angler.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:20 AM

Yeeesss......yeeeesssss.. yeessssssss..... annoying!!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:27 AM

I wasn’t a fan of him originally, but he’s damn good at adjusting to the situation and figuring out the fish.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted Martin
he is a really really good angler, maybe the best all around right now. but i still don't like him (has nothing to do with his face)

Is it his flatbills? roflmao
Posted By: qpm05a

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:44 AM

He is becoming one of my favorites. He is great on the live coverage. Always gives up the goods.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: qpm05a
He is becoming one of my favorites. He is great on the live coverage. Always gives up the goods.
...and always potlicking.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:03 AM

.....and fishing the bent pole pattern
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:39 AM

To me, he is like Kyle Busch in NASCAR. Really good at what he does, but is full of himself.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Lil joe
Originally Posted By: Ted Martin

Is it his flatbills? roflmao

flatbills, whiny nasally yankee accent, potlicking, and some bs antics he pulled on UMF a few years back. i dont recall the specifics on umf, but i came away thinking i could never root for this kid.

but ... he can flat out catch em.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:52 AM

He's a stud.
Haters gonna hate.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:05 AM

Potlicking is acceptable form of scouting, more than half the people that read this are potlickers. As to the flat bills it's not my style. He seems like ok guy.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:08 AM

I like him and his youtube vids!
Posted By: Chad Jones

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:10 AM

Haters gonna hate just because they aren’t as good as he is
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:22 AM

I'm with Fouz on the kid, hard to denigh real talent. To many judge a book by its cover, with him it's his under bite and the huge amount of confidence he has.
I'd love to be that age (rich) and can fish the britches off just about anyone...
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:32 AM

the fishing at Travis has been tough with many well known anglers hardly catching them. For every keeper caught you have to go through 10 shorts. And many of them are just a 1/2 inch short.

There have been some quality fish caught and in order to be in the hunt you must have a kicker every day.

Jacob has excelled at that.

And that is skill not pot licking.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 02:37 AM

The one little clip I happened to see of him live was when he commented about how he liked it being a hodgepodge event with no real pattern. He then set the hook and caught a 3 lb 3oz bass.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

roflmao

Gotta love the haters......
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 03:28 AM

Some local guys followed him some today and said he had the TM on about 90%....he never stopped and covered a tremendous amount of water
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 10:21 AM

Super great guy and a real stick!
Posted By: LunkerXpress

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 10:25 AM

Salty old guys who've never won a weekend event don't like to see young dudes killing it at the highest levels.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 10:27 AM

.....and fishing the bent pole pattern

I believe he is just the opposite in most situations. He likes to do his own thing. I’ve watched him a bunch and he is usually away from the crowd.
There are times when all of those guys fish the same area, especially on ledge fish.
I don’t like flatbill Hays, think they are goofy looking but to each their own on that.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: LunkerXpress
Salty old guys who've never won a weekend event don't like to see young dudes killing it at the highest levels.

Hahaha .... Not in my case, i guess i am a salty old guy who cant fish very well, but i love watching all the new crop of uber talented young anglers coming up. i just dont care for this one, although as i stated above he may be the best on tour right now. There is a whole slew of guys coming up that have tons of potential, which is good for the sport
Posted By: Stroker XS

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 11:23 AM

Anybody going out to watch the guys fish today of tomorrow? I was thinking about running out there
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 11:27 AM

Not a fan of Wheeler, but he knows how to fish. Probably needs to polish up his social skills.
I would much rather be in the boat all day with guys like Ott Defoe, or Todd Faircloth. They seem like real gentleman, and definitely knowledgable about fishing
Watching fishing is sort of like watching golf, boring. I would rather have a bad day fishing than watch it on TV
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:09 PM

Just got back last night after riding with them the first two days. Its been a grind out there. The lake is fishing real small. They are all fishing about three or four main types of areas. All are pretty much throwing the same 4 or 5 primary baits. Key is getting a couple of good bites per day. You can catch a bunch of small fish if you want to target them. How ever getting anything above 2# is not that easy. Seems like those who were catching them were running a bunch of water. Lots of guys fishing the same areas on a rotating basis. Getting a big bite early helps a ton. It gets slow between about 9 and 11.

First day it was hotter than heck after about 11 am. A couple cases of heat stress with the Anglers and Judges. Yesterday it was much better with the wind blowing a little.

Wheeler needs to bend the brim on that hat. However he is definitely in the top tier. It wont be long before he has a AOY trophy.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:42 PM

Just another yankee dominating the tour. I think he's good for the sport.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass N Beer
To me, he is like Kyle Busch in NASCAR. Really good at what he does, but is full of himself.
Exactly what I think, he is a good fisherman he is just annoying lol. Kyle bush is a lot better than he used to be though.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
Originally Posted By: Bass N Beer
Exactly what I think, he is a good fisherman he is just annoying lol. Kyle bush is a lot better than he used to be though.

Lots of people thought the same of kvd for years.
Posted By: Deja vue

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 03:38 PM

I'm an avid fisherman trying to follow this thread. Just wondering about flat bill Hays.I was wondering if he was a bank fisherman? I did a quick Google search and net worth search and found nothing. He must be a distance swimmer?
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 03:55 PM

I just wanna know how many Share Lunkers he has caught and if he has them all on You Tube so I can see them.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 04:04 PM

Maybe she'll post them.i read he has a fishing partner, and his wife's not into fishing
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Deja vue
I'm an avid fisherman trying to follow this thread. Just wondering about flat bill Hays.I was wondering if he was a bank fisherman? I did a quick Google search and net worth search and found nothing. He must be a distance swimmer?

Here ya go buddy, Flat Bill Hays.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 04:12 PM

Thanks for the Pic!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 10:44 PM

Definitely not wearing a flat brim today. Jacob Wheeler has so much knowledge at a young age, it is unreal. Call him whatever you want, the man can fish really well.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/19/18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
Not a fan of Wheeler, but he knows how to fish. Probably needs to polish up his social skills.
I would much rather be in the boat all day with guys like Ott Defoe, or Todd Faircloth. They seem like real gentleman, and definitely knowledgable about fishing

I would way rather be in a boat with Wheeler Vs Fairclith.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: MagFluker
Definitely not wearing a flat brim today. Jacob Wheeler has so much knowledge at a young age, it is unreal. Call him whatever you want, the man can fish really well.

I think he is the most versatile on tour right now.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

He showed a lot of versatility today for sure. I don't know how many he caught on that big spoon. No way I could wade thru that many small fish waiting on a decent one.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

He showed a lot of versatility today for sure. I don't know how many he caught on that big spoon. No way I could wade thru that many small fish waiting on a decent one.

I wonder who he saw using the spoon that led him to try it? stir

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:39 AM

Just like all the guys throwing big walking baits. Word gets around quick
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:40 AM

always liked him, don't understand why anyone wouldn't.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

I wonder who he saw using the spoon that led him to try it?

I bet he’s been following you around. partyon

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 01:43 AM

I think I saw him at Walmart a while ago.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 03:13 AM

So he's got a nose that looks like someone stuck a 1/4 of a bagel under his eyes... that's not pure Cro-Magnon. He's doing what it takes to be successful. And he's sitting at #2 at Travis with 48-6 with today his slowest day. It's gonna rain here tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see what the dropping barometer and new water will do for the top 12. The rain will probably slow down the pleasure/ski/party boat action somewhat.
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 03:17 AM

Did he run over your dog?Take your secret fishing spot?Please tell us,knowing minds need to know!
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 09:26 PM

Ya'll say he has a Cro-Magnon face.......have you seen his wife????? banana
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeeter190
Ya'll say he has a Cro-Magnon face.......have you seen his wife????? banana

Nope, how 'bout a pic.
Posted By: Amackmac

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 09:35 PM

Good fisherman. Extremely annoying
Posted By: Stroker XS

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 10:02 PM

Well he didn’t pull it off but it was a fun weighin to watch. Weather was nice
Posted By: Burgerboy

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/20/18 10:51 PM

Great all around angler. He will win a lot , so you can get used to it.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 01:26 AM

Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wheeler
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 01:40 AM

How does a guy potlick and run bent pole on the best anglers in the world? Everywhere he goes? roflmao

Moronic comment, Steez.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 01:41 AM

he don't look nearly as annoying in that photo. lol.

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
How does a guy potlick and run bent pole on the best anglers in the world? Everywhere he goes? roflmao

Moronic comment, Steez.

people claim KVD only wins because he gets good info from locals. And on this forum you hear from tons of guys who say they have a buddy who had a cousin who KVD called before the Toledo Bend tournament and he won it on their hole. Whatever, the dude catches fish and is supremely talented and works hard. Same with JW.

Some guys who are great are polarizing - Connor MacGregor, Kyle Bush, Tom Brady, Mike Iaconelli, Lewis Hamilton, Lebron James, ... I am sure there's a thousand examples.
Posted By: RandyD

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 02:52 AM

not sure why JW is getting the negative comments;... based on my limited exposure to his tournament exposure and YouTube posts, he's a stand up guy, and forth coming with information...
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 03:11 AM

I have met the man - he is sincere and has a fabulous way with kids. Guy's give him his due - he can flat out fish.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 03:39 AM

Yep looks like he gotta a keeper on the wife as well. Haters gonna hate.
Posted By: markvos

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 03:45 AM

The guy can fish if you watch mlf he usually figures them out and they dont have prior knowledge where they going
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 12:15 PM

He is an interesting cat for sure.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Burgerboy

Great all around angler. He will win a lot , so you can get used to it.

Holy chit there is actually a guy who's TFF name is burgerboy. Jersey Dan and Doug R used to call me that lol
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
He's a stud.
Haters gonna hate.
Yep

Re: Jacob Wheeler - 05/21/18 07:23 PM

what happened to her pic, TFF?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum