Texas Fishing Forum

EDGE rods by Gary Loomis

Posted By: salex

EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/17/18 08:48 PM

Anybody familiar with these rods? I had a custom rod donated using the carbon fiber weave handle. The inside of the handle is some type of foam with a carbon fiber lining. Anyway, the rod maker mentioned Gary's latest rod company and wanted to see if anyone is using these rods.

EDGE Bass rods
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/17/18 08:54 PM

Have you used the rod that was given to you? What do you think of the rod?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/17/18 09:12 PM

I've used them for a few throws but don't own any. They'll make you think hard about your current tackle. They're pricey, but boy they feel good.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/17/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
I've used them for a few throws but don't own any. They'll make you think hard about your current tackle. They're pricey, but boy they feel good.

Actually they have been 50% off for sometime now. A little more than most now. Great Rods!
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 12:06 AM

I saw Gary Loomis at the Classic last time it as in Tulsa and those rods are the real deal.
Posted By: salex

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

The rod donated was not an Edge rod, but used the same carbon fiber handle concept. It will be a give away for my company event. So, I have not used the rod. It's really not the same rod at all. The guy who built the rod, told me about the Edge rod. I had not heard of it, nor know anybody using them.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: salex
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

The rod donated was not an Edge rod, but used the same carbon fiber handle concept. It will be a give away for my company event. So, I have not used the rod. It's really not the same rod at all. The guy who built the rod, told me about the Edge rod. I had not heard of it, nor know anybody using them.

A friend of mine has a few of them and he won’t stop talking about them. He say’s they’re the best rods he’s ever used. I figured he was exaggerating a bit ... maybe not.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 02:00 AM

May be the best rod I've owned. super light- super sensitive, thought the handle might get slick if wet but to my surprise it did not. Fished a T on PK couple of weeks back and was throwing a weightless Seinko on 12 Pd test.. Had big fish of the T with a 9.33 and two over 7. handled them well. fish
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Originally Posted By: bigfishtx

Actually they have been 50% off for sometime now. A little more than most now. Great Rods!

Not sure if I’m happy or sad. Looks like I’m about to drop some coin! I saw they were discounted heavy on TFOs website (and nothing but saltwater left when I saw that) , I didn’t realize edge was selling them 50% off.

Thanks!!

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 03:08 AM

I have the Black widow MBR734 Compared to other high end rods .(IMO) the 4 power is a little lighter than most. Would love to have a 735 to go with it.
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 06:36 AM

I have the 735 not as light or sensitive as my 873 nrx.

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Clint H.

Interesting; I gave the EDGE (pun intended) to the black widow over my NRX.. Mainly due to the handle - odds are there the same blank.
G. Loomis said he always felt that cork handles muffled your sensitivity from the blank. Whereas the carbon fiber does not.
Posted By: 361V

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 02:31 PM

Look & sound great but not a fan of the marketing ploy of: MSRP $700 but a (continual)one time only factory direct price of $350. Great day on PK fishnfireman! thumb

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 04:17 PM

not sure what that's all about ---is a little strange.
bought mine before Christmas they were half price-- best I recall it was less than 300.00 including shipping.
Posted By: Sunbae

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 04:57 PM

I owned a 735 in the Black Widow. It was a little heavier than other comparable medium heavy rods in both physical weight and power; I'd compare the power to an 854 (I honestly think I was shipped a mislabeled heavy rod). Despite the extra weight of the handle, it balances well on most workhorse reels. Definitely didn't feel comfortable to me when I put sub-6 oz reels on it. I actually kind of prefer the First Strike handles, and that line feels much lighter. I'd go with an NRX if you could get either at the same price because, although the Edge rods are very sensitive, the NRXs are more comfortable for tip-up, bottom contact presentations. And yes, the Edge rods appear to always be on sale.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 07:40 PM

Edge has nothing to do with temple fork...

Temple fork used his name on a series of rods that is WORLDS different in quality and $$$

https://edgerods.com

Posted By: Smurfs

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/18/18 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

Temple fork used his name on a series of rods that is WORLDS different in quality and $$$

Never read where anyone claimed Edge had anything to do with TFO? hmmm

Not true on the use of name by TFO on a series of rods. It was a partnership Gloomis used there owns blanks to build rods, not TFO blanks.
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/19/18 05:39 AM

Originally Posted By: fishnfireman
Originally Posted By: Clint H.

Interesting; I gave the EDGE (pun intended) to the black widow over my NRX.. Mainly due to the handle - odds are there the same blank.
G. Loomis said he always felt that cork handles muffled your sensitivity from the blank. Whereas the carbon fiber does not.
im not sure which line of edge i have. Its the 735 with straight handle. Not the tapered "split grip style" its labled lmx magbass 735 i think i dint think it the black widow. I guess how i palm the reel very little of my hand contacts the cork. Sensitivity is very close. Both excellent
Posted By: 9094

Re: EDGE rods by Gary Loomis - 05/19/18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
Originally Posted By: catslayer

Never read where anyone claimed Edge had anything to do with TFO? hmmm

Not true on the use of name by TFO on a series of rods. It was a partnership Gloomis used there owns blanks to build rods, not TFO blanks.

TFO blanks are imported. They are gloomis designed rods. But imported.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum