Texas Fishing Forum

Marina Tires

Posted By: BTwrestle04

Marina Tires - 05/11/18 02:38 AM

I see guys fishing the marina tires all the time, so I assume it must produce a decent amount of fish. What is the technique? Flip a jig into the middle of the tire and let it go to the bottom? Flip only into the tire area? Flip the inside and outside wall of the tire?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 03:05 AM

Fluke - weightless + patience.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 04:05 AM

They like to use them for shade and suspend under them. I catch some under them now and then. It is just flipping to the right area when they are there and they want to bite. Try something weightless like the fluke that was mentioned. If they are on the bottom, a brush hog or a jig works. I know someone that flips into the center of them but I'm afraid of hooking a big one and not being able to get him out. I have caught good sized ones under them before. I fish around them and look for some irregularity feature in the mass where I can get closer to the center of all of them. Takes a lot of casts and patience.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 10:17 AM

Right now the shad spawn has been in full effect on the lakes I've been fishing. The shad absolutely love doing their thing around tire reefs. No need in letting baits sink to the bottom as many times you could be in 30 ft of water fishing the tires. Pretend there is a 10 ft bottom, once your bait sinks 10 ft reel up and cast again. Paralleling with cranks, traps, jerkbaits, and swim jigs will usually get you bit also.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 12:11 PM

You can flip or swim a jig in and around tires and it will get you bit. Be prepared when flipping in the tires. Hit them hard and get them out of there. There's not much room for error.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Right now the shad spawn has been in full effect on the lakes I've been fishing. The shad absolutely love doing their thing around tire reefs. No need in letting baits sink to the bottom as many times you could be in 30 ft of water fishing the tires. Pretend there is a 10 ft bottom, once your bait sinks 10 ft reel up and cast again. Paralleling with cranks, traps, jerkbaits, and swim jigs will usually get you bit also.

This is good info. And I would add Re-tie often!

Nothing like yanking an 8 pounder out of a tire. bouncy
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 01:44 PM

20-25 # test. Flip Weightless senko or fluke inside and hold on
I need to let it sink all the way to the bottom
Posted By: GROD

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 03:34 PM

Can’t go wrong with a bone yellow magic!
Posted By: C130

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 03:40 PM

I used to catch decent fish at the tires Ike fished during the classic on Conroe. For the last 6 months I haven’t caught a fish there. I haven’t seen others fishing them lately either. There’s a bunch in the area, they are all over the place.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Marina Tires - 05/11/18 05:26 PM

Bass will spawn in those tires, they'll suspend in those tires during the warmer months and the bite will usually come within the first 5-10 feet. Parallel casts with a crank will catch them as well. I always make it a point to fish tires. Great cover when they are in the right area.
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Marina Tires - 05/12/18 01:35 AM

Thank you all for the insight. Appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum