Texas Fishing Forum

?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ??

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:08 PM

We've all used the typical "Minnow with a Bobber" to catch crappie or even largemouth bass. I'd like to know if anyone uses any other live bait to catch bass?

I've used live crawfish years ago with a little success, but nothing in more recent years.

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:15 PM

Waterdog

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:15 PM

Golden Shiner

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:17 PM

Crawfish

Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:33 PM

All of the above and also caught bass on ribbon snakes, bull frogs, various sunfish, goldfish, large yellow grasshoppers and of course night crawlers.

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel
All of the above and also caught bass on ribbon snakes.

Fishing with a RIBBON SNAKE? Incredible!
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 09:15 PM

Nothing beats a live waterdog for big bass. The problem is they are not readily accessible year round.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Not really. Years ago used to walk/wade a lot ponds, you come across ribbon snakes a lot. Put them on a worm hook weightless. That said I have not done much wading lately and haven't seen a ribbon snake in 10 years - I guess they are hiding from me. roflmao
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 09:45 PM

I've never, ever, used live bait for bass. That said, I have caught two fish on live bait. Caught a dink catfish and a 2 pound crappie ate it....and I've caught a dink bass and a much bigger bass ate it on the way in.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 10:27 PM

I catch bass on live and dead threadfin all the time
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Not really. Years ago used to walk/wade a lot ponds, you come across ribbon snakes a lot. Put them on a worm hook weightless. That said I have not done much wading lately and haven't seen a ribbon snake in 10 years - I guess they are hiding from me. roflmao

Can't blame them.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 10:31 PM

Crig live perch on fork in the summer is pretty deadly
Posted By: teamron

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 10:38 PM

When I was in the oilfield in Williston ND there was a certain time of year when you could fill 5 gallon buckets full of water dogs off the roads. It was crazy.
Posted By: City Slicker

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/05/18 10:53 PM

Live perch works any where there is bass
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/06/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: teamron
When I was in the oilfield in Williston ND there was a certain time of year when you could fill 5 gallon buckets full of water dogs off the roads. It was crazy.

That's where most of them are raised. In the late 80's a buddy of mine would run a truck up to ND and bring back 20,000 at a time from a farm that raised them. I would haul them 1,000 at a time to Kountry Korner at Monty. They went thru 2-3,000 a week during those days.

Cool little piece of trivia. Carl Lowrance, father of the original fish finder was the man that started commercially farming waterdogs. He tried raising them in his home state of Oklahoma but it was too warm. He worked with folks in ND that had ponds specifically for this. They would have to break the ice on them in the winter to get the traps out.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: ?? Live Bait for Bass Fishing ?? - 05/07/18 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: teamron

That's where most of them are raised. In the late 80's a buddy of mine would run a truck up to ND and bring back 20,000 at a time from a farm that raised them. I would haul them 1,000 at a time to Kountry Korner at Monty. They went thru 2-3,000 a week during those days.

Cool little piece of trivia. Carl Lowrance, father of the original fish finder was the man that started commercially farming waterdogs. He tried raising them in his home state of Oklahoma but it was too warm. He worked with folks in ND that had ponds specifically for this. They would have to break the ice on them in the winter to get the traps out.

I’m 29 years old... I remember back when I was 8-12 years old, we’d fish waterdogs out there at night. We would catch some big fish. The old man that used to work the gate would tell us stories of some giant fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum