Texas Fishing Forum

When lake levels are low...?

Posted By: i-Fish

When lake levels are low...? - 05/03/18 09:38 PM

I spend a lot of time on Google Earth looking at lakes during times of drought. My question is about the vegetation that is present off of those points that are now well under water when the lakes are at full pool - are those bushes and such still there to a degree? They seem like excellent irregularities/cover for fish even if the bushes are skeletons of themselves when they were on dry ground. Or do those bushes just disappear completely after being under water for a few years?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: When lake levels are low...? - 05/03/18 09:49 PM

They are there. It takes many, many years for them to break off. fish love the last brush line off the sides of those points. Many times there will be one specific small section that was really thick. That is your irregular feature. Sometimes one larger tree will grow right out on the end of that point. I could be called a small tree and not a bush and it will hold a big fish.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: When lake levels are low...? - 05/04/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
They are there. It takes many, many years for them to break off. fish love the last brush line off the sides of those points. Many times there will be one specific small section that was really thick. That is your irregular feature. Sometimes one larger tree will grow right out on the end of that point. I could be called a small tree and not a bush and it will hold a big fish.

Depends on the impoundment. Woody vegetation, esp those found in So-Tex - yes, agree with DH. But take tawakoni; 99% of what grew up around tawak during extended droughts just died and depleted the oxygen content in those areas. what remains is the 1% of the true brushy stuff. Each body of water has its own characteristics. Some are renown for flooded brush, others not so much.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: When lake levels are low...? - 05/04/18 01:35 PM

I know you fish Roberts a lot. The brush grew big time in the bar ditches along the old 455 road bed right there by the marina when we had bad drought for a couple of years. It was awesome the first couple of years the water came up but you can still catch fish out of that brush. It has been under water for years now.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: When lake levels are low...? - 05/04/18 02:08 PM

Excellent! Thanks fellas! Got some new terrain to fish!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum