Texas Fishing Forum

Question for those with a place at Fork

Posted By: Mark Perry

Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:09 PM

....and have a digital/HD antenna out there i am wanti g to know how nany channels you pick up. I bought an antenna with a 150 mile radius anx most i can get is 8 total channels. I get KLTV 7, Bounce, La Vida, KFXK, KTPN, KETK, Grit and ION.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:11 PM

That’s about all you will get. We just went ahead and got direct tv for out there.

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
That’s about all you will get. We just went ahead and got direct tv for out there.

We have Dish but tired of the constant rate increases. We rarely watch TV there but like having access to it when we feel like it.

Thanks for reply.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: Sinkey

We have Dish but tired of the constant rate increases. We rarely watch TV there but like having access to it when we feel like it.

Thanks for reply.

We don’t either. Occasional movie or something. Or when we have the kiddos there.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:23 PM

Our place is at Hangout Cove and I feel your pain. We have tried other options but always come back to Dish. Dish isn't a whole lot different than everbody else, everyone wants a raise.
Posted By: MDM

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:47 PM

Mark, don’t have a place at Fork but do have a weekend lake house near Tyler and this approach would work anywhere. Dish has a program where you can “pause” your service and stop charges for the time not at that location. Charges are pro-rated per day your service is turned on. We are at the lake house about two weekends per month so about 5 or 6 days a month of TV use. Bills run $10 to $20 per month. You do loose any discounts and any offtime doesn’t count toward remaining contact term if any. What I do is call them while driving from DFW and tell them to take my service off pause then when on the way back home call and tell them to put my account on pause. Yes it’s kind of a hassle but worth an easy $80 a month to spend on other things instead of having satellite service that nobody is watching. Suggested they allow customers to do this via their app but doubt they will because too many people would manage their account this way.

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: MDM

Mark, don’t have a place at Fork but do have a weekend lake house near Tyler and this approach would work anywhere. Dish has a program where you can “pause” your service and stop charges for the time not at that location. Charges are pro-rated per day your service is turned on. We are at the lake house about two weekends per month so about 5 or 6 days a month of TV use. Bills run $10 to $20 per month. You do loose any discounts and any offtime doesn’t count toward remaining contact term if any. What I do is call them while driving from DFW and tell them to take my service off pause then when on the way back home call and tell them to put my account on pause. Yes it’s kind of a hassle but worth an easy $80 a month to spend on other things instead of having satellite service that nobody is watching. Suggested they allow customers to do this via their app but doubt they will because too many people would manage their account this way.

Tried that and then they started charging me each time to turn it back on in addition to daily rates. Also had 3 separate times wheee it restarted earlier than date I requested and they were a pain to get sorted out. Horrible CS. I hate calling them.
Posted By: SteveR

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 10:58 PM

We have same problem at Cedar Creek. I obtained another dish from a neighbor that was moving. Installed the second dish at lake and just move my box between the two houses

Worked great the past 2 years with no added expense

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveR
We have same problem at Cedar Creek. I obtained another dish from a neighbor that was moving. Installed the second dish at lake and just move my box between the two houses

Thanks, gonna try that I think.

Are you using your primary box or a Joey receiver?
Posted By: DJTripleR

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveR

Thanks, gonna try that I think.

Are you using your primary box or a Joey receiver?

Mark,, I was gonna suggest this. When I had my slip at Ray Hubbard I had my brother install a dish at the end of the slip. I had two extra boxes added to my acct because we were down there so much and didn't want to bring boxes out all the time. Back then it was $5 a box so for $10 We had two tvs on satellite on our slip.

He is still in the business if you need some help setting this up.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 11:13 PM

Or get you a tailgater, you can bring it wherever, I bring one to Mexico with me hunting and have another i take hunting in west texas.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/01/18 11:26 PM

dish still gets you MLF with the outdoor pack ($4) . direct TV does not.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 12:41 AM

Smart TV very inexpensive now, then just watch Youtube and order Netflix, cost $11 month
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 12:48 AM

direct tv now is $35 a month thru wifi. great way to get cable without the $125 price tag. most ppl have internet anyways. also great for watching on a tablet or iphone at the workplace. it's an app that loads on a smart tv, roku, or similar device.
Posted By: rscustomrods

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 12:52 AM

Mark I use direct tv and have forever. Dish or direct tv doesn’t really matter. Just add a box and keep it at the lake.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 01:02 AM

Mark, I’ve got a place on Fork and pay for the fastest WiFi out there and use an Apple TV to get Sling tv, hbo, Netflix, etc. Sling has more channels than I’ll ever need. I’m usually streaming a game or watching something on Netflix. No cable or receiver needed. $100 for internet and I use the same streaming accounts that I use at home.

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 02:50 AM

I can’t find internet in alba good enough to stream anything.

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: rscustomrods

My place is in Alba and I agree.
Posted By: ...Larry

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 03:40 AM

My place is just east of Alba and have internet service from Peoples Internet in Quitman. Netflix works fine on their middle speed. The service is wireless from the water tower on HWY 182 a couple of miles east of Alba. I also have a TV antenna on a tower and get most of the Dallas TV stations.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
dish still gets you MLF with the outdoor pack ($4) . direct TV does not.

Not true. For $3.50 a month you can get the Outdoor channel on Directv. It's the ONLY channel you can order al a carte.
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 03:16 PM

We went to internet tv only a couple years ago. (Apple TV and 2 Roku) Use Direct tv Now.and Netflix. Have the apps on my phone and can stream it with a fair internet signal when we travel other places.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/02/18 03:22 PM

I am in Alba as well, Dale Creek. I stream live games, movies, and Sling tv. Occasionally it will pause or buffer but works about the same as my 100MB connection in Dallas.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/03/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: rscustomrods

My place is in Alba and I agree.

Peoples Communication. Their moto...pay more for less. I'll be glad the day comes when someone else moves in and offers decent internet at a reasonable price so I can kick them out the door.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/03/18 02:10 PM

I have direct tv at home in Dallas and can stream live or watch my dvr on my cell phone with no data charges thru AT&T. Then I mirror my phone into my smart tv on my motor home anywhere I go....
Posted By: basshunter49

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/03/18 04:00 PM

what ever you do if you change dont go with frontier i live off birch creek an i have had to call in 7 times this year for service outages

Re: Question for those with a place at Fork - 05/04/18 12:32 AM

Anyone tried hughesnet? Know it is expensive but wondered if worth it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum