Texas Fishing Forum

Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad

Posted By: Slade

Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad - 05/01/18 12:18 PM

I’m wondering if the cold winter killed off a lot of baitfish. I haven’t been hunting deep on a consistent basis but the few times I have been I just don’t seem to see the amount of baitfish that I have in the past. Wondering if anyone else has noticed or if it’s just me.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad - 05/01/18 01:12 PM

Shad are spawning all over the rocks
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad - 05/01/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Shad are spawning all over the rocks

This
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad - 05/01/18 02:35 PM

no question the shad spawn is on.. white herons all over the shore lines. On a similar note, I don't see a lot of blue gill in Joe Pool.. I looked over in the blue gill section of the forum and didn't see any posts about blue gill in JP. Is shad THE baitfish in JP?

BD
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Baitfish? Joe Pool Shad - 05/01/18 03:25 PM

I have said this before; but it is worth repeating for those that are trying to use the Shad spawn to catch the Bass. Shad is mainly the most common baitfish in all our lakes. Bass follow them everywhere; but are not always interested in your exact mimic of the Shad. Bass tend to be lazy and feed upon what the other species are giving them by killing the shad. They will take the wounded and stunned; so that is by far the best way to mimic the Shad and not the fast moving baits. We all have to try the Shad colors and many times will hit that Wolf pack that are rounding them up and pushing them against specific shorelines.

I have found the Bass to be much more interested in the other spices that are acting out of the ordinary while feeding on the Shad. I will mimic those species as the Bass hates any fish acting crazy while feeding and will swoop in to take out that prayfish which is feeding on the Shad. Some of these color are similar; but will also have darker colors mixed in other that pure white glitter like a Shad. The darker Bluegill colors have worked well along with Crayfish, perch, sand bass, crappie in both crank baits and spinner baits.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum