Texas Fishing Forum

Trim....speed.... best way?

Posted By: Fish2222

Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/28/18 10:27 PM

Ok....ignorant alert!

When I'm cruising at 25-35 mph....all good trimmed down tight.
If I want more speed I need to know tthe magic formula to keep bow up and rpm's right.
Any pointers?

150 hp
18' Fiberglass
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/28/18 10:31 PM

Floor it! Trim up for faster, trim down for slower.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/28/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
Ok....ignorant alert!

If I want more speed I need to know tthe magic formula to keep bow up and rpm's right.
Any pointers?

150 hp
18' Fiberglass

Here are some pointers. Trim down all the way to take off. After the boat gets on plane, bump the trim up a little at a time. You will feel the bow begin to rise and the speed will increase without adding throttle. Trim up until the boats begins to porpoise. Then bump it down a couple times until the porpoise stops. Now you are set to go.

The trim changes the attitude of the prop in the water and lifts the hull free so there is less wetted surface that creates drag on the water. Less drag equals more speed and more efficiency. So you will also burn less fuel if you are trimmed for optimum performance.

If you are running WOT and you are trimming the motor up and you begin to notice the boat starts to chine walk, bump the down button a couple times to get it to settle down. Your boat should be capable of low to mid-60's if it is set up properly and has the right prop on it.

Also watch the tach on the dash. Do not exceed 6,000 rpms as this could be too high for your motor. If you exceed 6,000 rpms, you need a higher pitch prop. They are rated in "diameter and inches of pitch." An 18' boat with a 150 probably has a 21" to 23" pitch prop.

A good rule of thrumb is the lower the pro pitch, the better the holeshot but it costs you speed on topend. The higher pitch props are typically slower out of the hole but faster on the topend.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/29/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Ok....ignorant alert!

Any pointers?

150 hp
18' Fiberglass

Here are some pointers. Trim down all the way to take off. After the boat gets on plane, bump the trim up a little at a time. You will feel the bow begin to rise and the speed will increase without adding throttle. Trim up until the boats begins to porpoise. Then bump it down a couple times until the porpoise stops. Now you are set to go.

The trim changes the attitude of the prop in the water and lifts the hull free so there is less wetted surface that creates drag on the water. Less drag equals more speed and more efficiency. So you will also burn less fuel if you are trimmed for optimum performance.

If you are running WOT and you are trimming the motor up and you begin to notice the boat starts to chine walk, bump the down button a couple times to get it to settle down. Your boat should be capable of low to mid-60's if it is set up properly and has the right prop on it.

Also watch the tach on the dash. Do not exceed 6,000 rpms as this could be too high for your motor. If you exceed 6,000 rpms, you need a higher pitch prop. They are rated in "diameter and inches of pitch." An 18' boat with a 150 probably has a 21" to 23" pitch prop.

A good rule of thrumb is the lower the pro pitch, the better the holeshot but it costs you speed on topend. The higher pitch props are typically slower out of the hole but faster on the topend.

That's what I said! .....well.....sort of.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/29/18 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Ok....ignorant alert!

Any pointers?

150 hp
18' Fiberglass

LOL right idea
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/29/18 03:24 PM

watch your water pressure when trimming. If you go to high your water pressure will drop to low and that would not be good.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/29/18 03:31 PM

I watch the nose of the boat , listen to motor , feel of the steer wheel .

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Ok....ignorant alert!

Any pointers?

150 hp
18' Fiberglass

LOL right idea

roflmao
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 12:57 PM

Well, you could follow the instructions provided by all the engineer-types above, or just full throttle out of the hole, when you're on plane, trim up until you stop seeing water spray out of the corner of your eye. If you start porpoising (front-end bouncing), trim it down until the porpoising stops.

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
Well, you could follow the instructions provided by all the engineer-types above, or just full throttle out of the hole, when you're on plane, trim up until you stop seeing water spray out of the corner of your eye. If you start porpoising (front-end bouncing), trim it down until the porpoising stops.

I'm about the furthest thing from an Engunear you ever met. After owning 28 boats since 1974, I have been there/done that a fair amount.
wink
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 01:43 PM

I'm about the furthest thing from an Engunear you ever met. After owning 28 boats since 1974, I have been there/done that a fair amount.
wink

Actually, I am an engineer-type. My comment above was done completely tongue-in-cheek.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 02:27 PM

I start lifting it as soon as she's out of the hole!

Re: Trim....speed.... best way? - 04/30/18 03:06 PM

wink

Actually, I am an engineer-type. My comment above was done completely tongue-in-cheek.

You didn't use the little winky face emoji! lol_2
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum