Texas Fishing Forum

Fall overboard/re entering the boat.

Posted By: H2ODawg67

Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 02:38 AM

I just posted on a thread and was talking about falling in. I know the water is warming up and not as much as a threat as in winter but thought I would share this. I have done this more times than I care to mention, but I don't recall this being mentioned in all the threads I have read about getting back in the boat. Anyway, I have grabbed the shaft of the trolling motor,stepped on the lower unit of the trolling motor, stood up, and grabbed the head and pulled myself in. Last time (and i hope last time) I did it was last year and I was 50. Hope this tip may save a life.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 02:40 AM

I usually grab the ladder I'm sight fishing with for my YouTube channel.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 03:04 AM

Good tip right there.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 04:47 AM

I got a trolling motor on my recliner but I didn't think about the ladder.

Good input!
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 11:37 AM

I stepped up on the hydrofoil and used the valet switch one time. I had to swim to the boat that drifted off, it might have been what saved me as when I tried to get in first time, old shoulder injury popped shoulder out of socket.
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 12:11 PM

I added a nice boarding ladder to my boat for this exact reason.

Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 12:12 PM

Tipped over in a canoe, yes. Fall out of boat, no.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 01:56 PM

hoping the wind will drive the boat up on the bank or at least shallow water while this fat guy holds onto it. Pulling up out of the water without incredible arm strength is a tough challenge. And now with an artificial shoulder it is never going to happen.

Wear you PFD all day while fishing to make sure you float when you fall in.
Posted By: gut hooked

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 02:25 PM

if you can get a foot hold on the lower unit, use the trim on the motor to lift you up and climb on...as a disclaimer, i haven't done this myself, i heard about this on a B.A.S.S. video
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 02:42 PM

Last year I went in on a windy day.
Just what Gut Hook said.
Foot on the lower unit, used the trim switch to hoist my
fat butt back on the deck.
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 02:44 PM

I use a rope with large loop knots tied into it for steps. I tie it to a cleat and use it when launching by myself and just leave it while fishing. I have tried to get back in the boat standing on the lower unit and trimming the motor up. It was very difficult for me. It tilts you away from the transom.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 03:07 PM

....boarding ladder, I've had one on the back of all of my bass boats.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 04/28/18 04:35 PM

Good idea. People always post about using your trim button on your motor, standing on the skeg and “simply” riding the motor up. It is an option but I can attest that it is way harder than it sounds and virtually impossible if older/weaker. As I get older I know the day will come that getting back in WHEN I fall in in winter will be a true emergency. I’ve gotten in on some of the little jackplate ladders and even they can be way harder than you think. Don’t wait till a cold winter day and 40 degree water to try YOUR plan! I have the factory Ranger folding ladder on the transom that are simalar to the after market pic posted by Jobucko above. This is absolutely the best plan especially for older fishermen. Mine is as easy as, well, climbing a ladder. Never think twice about jumping in for a quick cool off in the summer.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 03:02 PM

I have a whale tail thing on the back of my boat.. it is like a step... works perfect.
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 03:19 PM

8 inch jackplate , fastback champion
friend couldn't reach the boat,, so we pulled him in
next week had a boarding ladder.

good advice to see if you can board from the cav plate /trim switch.
before you have too.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Good idea. People always post about using your trim button on your motor, standing on the skeg and “simply” riding the motor up. It is an option but I can attest that it is way harder than it sounds and virtually impossible if older/weaker. As I get older I know the day will come that getting back in WHEN I fall in in winter will be a true emergency. I’ve gotten in on some of the little jackplate ladders and even they can be way harder than you think. Don’t wait till a cold winter day and 40 degree water to try YOUR plan! I have the factory Ranger folding ladder on the transom that are simalar to the after market pic posted by Jobucko above. This is absolutely the best plan especially for older fishermen. Mine is as easy as, well, climbing a ladder. Never think twice about jumping in for a quick cool off in the summer.

+1

It think its a good idea to hop in during the summer to cool off as well as familiarizing yourself with getting back in--especially if you fish alone.

I think standing on the trolling motor is probably better for the smaller guys, but if you are alone in cold water it might be worth the gamble of breaking the TM. Trolling motors can be replaced easily (well unless its an Ultrex nuts ).
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: heybaylor
8 inch jackplate , fastback champion
friend couldn't reach the boat,, so we pulled him in
next week had a boarding ladder.

good advice to see if you can board from the cav plate /trim switch.
before you have too.

Just be sure you're wearing shoes if you use the cavitation plate. One slip and you will end up with a VERY nasty laceration from your prop.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 04:00 PM

I stood on the hydrofoil and hit the courtesy switch, worked for me and saved my bacon. I had thrown my arm out of socket trying to just climb over the side and was in bad shape to say the least.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Fall overboard/re entering the boat. - 06/15/18 11:28 PM

I always chime in on this topic and I can tell you it’s very difficult to get back in a boat. I’m not speaking of when I was 25 and could pull myself in with no problem or use one of the other methods mentioned. I’m speaking from the view of a 58 year old fat guy who has done the experiment of trying to get back in. It ain’t easy under a controlled environment.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum