Texas Fishing Forum

Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing

Posted By: Fish2222

Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:29 AM

I'm currently shopping pre-owned boats.... It'll be my first fiberglass boat, I'm finding lots available in my price range. My funding source has pointed out a few big discrepancies in the NADA listed value and asking price. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is it simple supply & demand driving pricing up?
Not trying to beat people up on price.... just trying to get educated.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:35 AM

It's probably option prices for graphs, poles, etc
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:39 AM

NADA is useless. Price based on other options on the market.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
It's probably option prices for graphs, poles, etc

^^^^^this^^^^^
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:40 AM

Make sure your NADA is adding in the price of a motor and trailer.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
I agree, they are about 10 year behind on valuation, used boat prices are alot higher currently in most cases than NADA's estimator.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Make sure your NADA is adding in the price of a motor and trailer.

for sure ! some boat estimates include the motor and trailer- some do not --usually noted with an asterisk --i had this problem with people on both the buying and selling end of some boat deals
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:59 AM

Used boat prices are only high because NEW boat prices are absolutely ridiculously high.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Used boat prices are only high because NEW boat prices are absolutely ridiculously high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: rb7764

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:20 AM

If you are going to finance the boat, you will likely struggle with this issue, per the stated reasons above. If there is any way you can just pay cash for a boat, that is the way to go, even if you have to get a little older boat. Learn how to do the maintenance yourself and enjoy boat ownership.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:25 AM

I've seen where guys are selling early 2000's boats they bought 10 years ago that have been well maintained for the same price they bought it for. Used boat prices are high right now.
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 12:30 PM

Agree with Bossbowman. I sold my last '02 520 two years ago for more than I paid for it in '11 with the only upgrade being from a Motorguide 109 to a Fortrex 101...
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:12 PM

Yep, NADA is used for anal people who want to ask to much for their boat. When I see some dude who has listed out every option on NADA and the NADA value on his ad, I just keep looking because you can tell he will be impossible to deal with and he over-values his boat. Just move on and find someone reasonable to deal with.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank

Yep, NADA is used for anal people who want to ask to much for their boat. When I see some dude who has listed out every option on NADA and the NADA value on his ad, I just keep looking because you can tell he will be impossible to deal with and he over-values his boat. Just move on and find someone reasonable to deal with.

OP was about the NADA price being too LOW compared to what boats are going/asking for.

Boats are just insane right now. I bet it comes crashing down at some point. But would probably take another recession.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:00 PM

I know and I understand. Agree with your assessment shotgun. thumb

I was just pointing out usually when I guy takes the time to look up each option on NADA he is going to be a pain to deal with and highly overvalued his boat.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
I know and I understand. Agree with your assessment shotgun. thumb

I was just pointing out usually when I guy takes the time to look up each option on NADA he is going to be a pain to deal with and highly overvalued his boat.

Ah, Yeah I hear ya.
Posted By: Classic Used Boats

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 02:24 PM

I deal with NADA often. Here is what I found, and it is how I use the values in my business.

NADA is pretty accurate going back about 8 year models. But you must make sure trailer and motor are part of your estimate. Then you must take into account all the options.

For boats 3 years old or newer, NADA is usually higher than what the market will bear. For example, a 2015 boat may be booked at 56k, but on the street it may only bring 49k. This is common when you are dealing with very high priced boats.

For boats older than 8 years, my experience is NADA is below street value, even with options considered. Many times I see an old boat listed super low, and it is usually because they used NADA to value it. Those are the deals out there!
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/19/18 04:36 PM

nada is worthless on finding values on boats. on some boats if you look at their high value used you can buy a new one for what they say a used one is worth it is a way that banks an lending institutions can justify their loans.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/25/18 07:07 PM

And NADA is a GUIDE, not the all knowing authority. Thats what it says right on the book. GUIDE. So if you had a highly desired auto in your possesion & it showed year 1956 would you be willing to price your 56' Nomad at what NADA guide book says? Of course not. Same thing happens in 20 yr old boats. Some people WANT a Triton Tr hull, some WANT a Champion 86" beam hull. What they sell for is based on particular tastes, not a lumped together group. To NADA, a boat is a boat, just like a pickup is a pickup.
I used NADA as ONE tool to get a REALISTIC starting point on pricing. Doesnt mean im anal, & if it does, so what?
Sone want to use it to BOOST what their boat (sellers) is worth & some want to use it to try to lowball (buyers).
What i see happening MOST is lazy butt people that dont want to physically go look at a boat to really get an idea of WHY its priced at that amount. The other thing is "Whats you lowest price in text, online.... to me thats just stupid. WHO would give their lowest price first rattle out of the box in text? A Fool maybe. Good Lort....
roflmao
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/25/18 07:35 PM

NADA is not useless...and I know this is an unpopular opinion. I work with valuation for a living...that being said, I respect everyone's opinion on it. But, everyone makes good points... The valuation is off due to add ons (Electronics mostly) The value of newer fish finders has not been properly identified in NADA valuation. But the boat and motor values are pretty spot on.

Supply and Demand is a huge reason why Used Boat Pricing is high right now. One reason for this is High School Bass fishing is really popular right now. The supply of really decent older boats is limited. High School Bass teams have exploded and they need boats to compete...so, that has driven the used boat market up.

I sold my Charger last November to a dad that was buying it for his son for the upcoming season... I actually sold it left of NADA Book value because I wanted them to have it...It took me FOREVER to find my new to me boat. Basically because there was little supply of quality used boats in my price range ($10k or lower).

I guess my point is, NADA is a Guide. But, really it comes down to what you and the seller can agree on. Which is not news to anyone. But, be prepared to pay a little more than you previously thought for a quality used boat.

Anyway, my 2 cents...
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Question about NADA and pre-owned boat pricing - 04/25/18 11:14 PM

NADA is way behind the times. They used to be the deal ecspecially in auto industry in the values of used cars. It is just about as worthless there now as well. It a monthly publication, these things trade like commodities, supply and demand. However, if you are working a boat deal with your local banker you can definitely even the score with adds. Boat + motor + trailer + trolling motor +++++. You can make the loan to value proportional to his\ her requirements.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum