Texas Fishing Forum

Trolling motor shaft length

Posted By: B Reynolds

Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 08:49 PM

I'm looking to purchase a Minn Kota Ultrex I-pilot and was wondering about the shaft length. I have a Nitro Z8 with a Minn Kota Fortrax 112 that has a 45" shaft. Would there be an advantage to going to the 52". Just looking for some input before I order one. Thanks!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 09:01 PM

If you are going to start fishing off shore more because of the features on the new motor then the 52" will be a great asset in the wind. When fishing shallow, I pull it up so it still mounts on the bracket like it should; but about a foot is above the bracket knob. It holds there pretty well but will creep down over a two day period a few inches. Still no problem with having the longer shaft.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 09:06 PM

Had a 45" Fortrex and occasionally it would pop out of the water in some big off shore waves. Went with the 52" on my Ultrex and have not had that issue. Just as Donald has stated.

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 09:59 PM

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I figure if it rough enough for the 45" to be coming out of the water, those fish better really be hitting good or I'll be some where on land sipping on a cool one. Thanks for the input guys!
Posted By: squib

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 10:32 PM

Went from a 45-inch Fortrex to a 52-inch Ultrex. Glad I did. And the collar takes up some of the length on the Ultrex shaft anyway.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/17/18 11:30 PM

If it doesn't take up too much deck space, go for it.
Posted By: Stump Monkey

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 12:35 AM

Buy a 52 and cut it down to 48
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 01:23 AM

One thing about going to a longer shaft on those Minnkota fortrex and ultrex,,, if you have a custom boat cover, the 52 stands a lot taller than the 45 when it's NOT deployed. Your cover most likely will not cinch down like it's supposed to.
Posted By: aggieangler03

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 02:30 AM

Went from 45” to 52”. No regrets.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 04:24 AM

Better really need it, or I would get tired of the extra length, sticking upward, all other times. The cover fit is a real issue.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 10:12 AM

Takes big winds to pull a 45" out of the water.

Tournaments are cancelled before that happens and no angler with a brain fishes in winds that will kill them. grin
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 12:34 PM

I have the 45 on my 21 foot triton, no issues with it coming out of the water, i think the Ultrex sits about about 2-3 inches more into the water than the four trex.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 01:53 PM

Something to think about.

With the Spot Lock feature on the Ultrex, you are many times tempted to let the TM hold the boat while you & sometimes your partner go to the back oif the boat to fan cast at your target. This picks the nose of the boat up a bit, some more than others (depending on how big ole boy you are) wink
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 01:54 PM

52" all day. We fish very shallow and no problems with 52 ultrex
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 02:12 PM

For sure go with the longer shaft. I have a Z-8 and run a 60" shaft, but I am one of the crazies that fish points in high winds. In shallow water, the head does stick up a little but I don't notice any problem. It sure is nice when you and your partner are fishing from the back of the boat, no prop wash at all. Go with the 52" for sure, you won't regret it. thumb
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
One thing about going to a longer shaft on those Minnkota fortrex and ultrex,,, if you have a custom boat cover, the 52 stands a lot taller than the 45 when it's NOT deployed. Your cover most likely will not cinch down like it's supposed to.

My boat is at the canvas shop now altering my travel tarp for that very reason.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/18/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump Monkey
Buy a 52 and cut it down to 48

If you have it cut down make sure you use a certified service center or you will void your warranty. Also, make sure they know to take the extra length out of the wires in the head of the unit. If you just coil the extra length in the head it'll interfere with the GPS signal and your spot lock will spot lock no more.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/19/18 01:33 PM

Minn Kota's guidelines for shaft length:
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-i-select-shaft-length

Re: Trolling motor shaft length - 04/22/18 03:39 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! Good info to think about.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum