Texas Fishing Forum

Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years?

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:29 AM

I'm not talking about graphs or accessories. Have there been any real game changer improvements in bass boats in the last 10, maybe 15 years?
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:33 AM

They ride much better than they used to. My Triton will cut through waves that you would have definitely felt in my last two tritons.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:34 AM

Some of the more popular brands today weren’t even around 15 years ago. But if we are talking hull only and not motors, electronics and trailers, the first thing that comes to my mind is the modular passenger compartments. The ability to remove and reinstall a second console is a relatively new concept.
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:42 AM

Storage and layout are better in my Phoenix compared to my 20 yr old Stratos.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:45 AM

More deck space
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:02 PM

Storage and layout, more space, but what I think is crazy is the resell of these boats. Some people sell 30 year old boats for 10K. As long as they say bass cat or ranger on it.
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:21 PM

good morning,

I know moving the gas tanks forward has elimated a lot of chine walking....the balance is better and reworking the chines has help a bunch....all bass boats look like arrowheads....just saying

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:40 PM

as a comparison,my son races 18 ft. catamarans (sailboats) and in the last few years they have put hydrofoils on them and after they reach a certain speed,the boat rises and enables them to race with the entire boat out of the water....
to my knowledge,they have done nothing to change the hull design of bassboats since the late 70's early 80's....interiors have been tweaked a little with bigger front decks and livewells but again nothing major there either...
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:41 PM

IMO... Major improvements, no.... Comfort, layout, yes.. My 04 ZX225 is as steady as the new ones, and is all composite.. I've rode in all the newer models too, I'm not running out to drop boocuuu bucks on a new one...... grin
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
as a comparison,my son races 18 ft. catamarans (sailboats) and in the last few years they have put hydrofoils on them and after they reach a certain speed,the boat rises and enables them to race with the entire boat out of the water....
to my knowledge,they have done nothing to change the hull design of bassboats since the late 70's early 80's....interiors have been tweaked a little with bigger front decks and livewells but again nothing major there either...

Show me a bassboat from the 70's and show me a 2018 model. Tons of redesigned hulls
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:55 PM

There will never be enough deck space and storage on a 21' bass boat. They are better nowadays but still not enough IMO. You said no graphs or accessories but that's the two areas where most of the improvement has come.

The new electronics are so much better than my six year old units it is unreal.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Show me a bassboat from the 70's and show me a 2018 model. Tons of redesigned hulls

If ya wanna call "NVT" a revelation in the design of hulls.....yes. But, for the most part, nothing new in this millennium from anyone. It's a tub with doors on the deck.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 01:22 PM

Manufactures are tweaking hulls almost yearly. Working with chimes, depth, whatever else to change the dryness or ride quality. Most people won't ever notice the change because we just don't know enough to look at one and tell. It just depends on what a person considers a major change. Hulls that carry the width forward to make big front decks is a pretty major change. Look at legends from 5 or more years ago and look at a v20, big difference. Ask someone that's been in a skeeter i model why it was their best rough water boat? There was some difference there be it weight or whatever.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 02:12 PM

I assume you are asking because you want to save a few $ and buy a older boat. If I were you I would buy a older Champion and put a new engine on it and be happy and have plenty of cash leftover to buy Yellow Magics. But that's just me.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 02:15 PM

4 stroke motors have made huge gains over the last 10 years. Although 4 strokes have been used for a lot longer than 10 years ago although they were efficient and dependable they were heavy and lesser in the performance catagory. In the last 10 years they have become lighter and higher performance making them competitive with two-strokes for lighter high preformance fresh water bass boats.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion1
I assume you are asking because you want to save a few $ and buy a older boat. If I were you I would buy a older Champion and put a new engine on it and be happy and have plenty of cash leftover to buy Yellow Magics. But that's just me.

Yes sir. Hang a 250 on just about any 20' John Storie boat and you will have a big front deck and a great, dry ride. Everything else on the boat can be updated and added on.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 04:26 PM

Less wood used in construction.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/16/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bluebonnet2
good morning,

I know moving the gas tanks forward has elimated a lot of chine walking....the balance is better and reworking the chines has help a bunch....all bass boats look like arrowheads....just saying

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

That's not an improvement, its compensating for people who don't know how to drive.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/17/18 12:16 AM

Wider decks and they sit higher to the top cap.

Im with OP, im going to buy a 05ish 20' with a 250 and deck it all out. I cant see myself buying a new one to fish the way I do.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/17/18 11:57 AM

The price has been improved. grin
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/17/18 12:31 PM

the original post asks if there have been any game changer improvements in the last 10-15 years.....my opinion is there have not been any game changer improvements since bassboats went from coffin style to pad boats with steering wheels....been a lot of improvements like bigger front decks,extended transoms,composite instead of wood but no game changers...
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Any real improvements in boats in the last 10 years? - 04/17/18 01:32 PM

the original post asks if there have been any game changer improvements in the last 10-15 years.....my opinion is there have not been any game changer improvements since bassboats went from coffin style to pad boats with steering wheels....been a lot of improvements like bigger front decks,extended transoms,composite instead of wood but no game changers...

Yes having a transom that won't rot out is totally minut
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum