Texas Fishing Forum

Capsized boat on Fork?

Posted By: Ken A.

Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 12:20 AM

Saw on Facebook where there was a boat capsized yesterday at fork. Does anyone have any details?
Posted By: John P085

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 12:33 AM

I saw the one on Rayburn that got swamped and had to be recused by the game wardens.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 12:49 AM

The one at Rayburn said he blew his motor and had to get on the trolling motor. Hadn’t heard of one at Fork. Seen one also from Wright Patman as well.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 12:58 AM

I haven't heard about the boat at Fork but it was VERY windy yesterday and today and has been many days this whole month but still you see people in small aluminum boats going out in it.

Saturday it was white capping behind the bridge in Williams creek. That's how bad the wind was.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 01:19 AM

Drove over Rayburn about 3 hours ago and it was rolling hard. Big enough i wouldn't have ventured out on main lake in the Champion or our 22' center console. Asking for trouble.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 01:44 AM

Why do people go out on the water in winds like that? Seen people do it with kids too. Just dumb...

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 02:22 PM

This must be what was being discussed on Facebook over the weekend. It appears it was on Sam Rayburn and both Angler’s were rescued safely

Posted By: Nate

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 10:52 PM

Yes, there was a capsized boat on Fork. I was in it. We were going to set trotlines for a charity event. Launched in a calm cove, only had to go around one point to another cove. We estimated we would be in rough water for only about 2 min. That was a minute in a half too much. A freak series of waves came over the front of the boat in a matter of seconds and turned the boat over. It was very cold to say the least. We hung on for dear life for appox 45 min to an hour screaming for help. Two boats heard our calls for help and rescued us. By the time we were pulled in the rescuer's boat, we had zero energy left and hypothermia was setting in. Thank God these kind souls risked their own life saving ours. I will be eternally grateful. Hindsight 20/20, it wasn't a good idea to go out but we were on a time crunch. If anyone know's the kind souls who saved us, I would certainly like to know so I could personally thank them.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 10:59 PM

Glad your okay
Posted By: 9094

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 11:19 PM

Northwest wind always seems to be the most dangerous and create the biggest waves on most lakes.
I know on Hubbard Creek it can blow 25 out of the south and you can still move around. It gets rough but not that dangerous. A 20 mph northwest wind will sink a boat fast and there isn’t anywhere to hide from it.
Glad everyone was ok this weekend.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 11:20 PM

Nate, so glad y'all r okay. I'm Shell's husband and she was telling me yalls story. It can get crazy out there. Ask Shell about her experience in the JCO tournament last year.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/16/18 11:28 PM

Thanks be to GOD you`re Okay Nate
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 12:09 AM

Thanks Nate, glad it worked out, any words of wisdom for those of us that are less experienced?
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 12:22 AM

Glad your ok Nate, how did the waves come over the front? off the gas in between the waves?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 01:31 AM

Life jacket on?
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 02:32 AM

We were fishing a tournament on Cedar Creek. Tried to make a run and coming from log cabinwe crossed a point thart comes out into the main lake. I speared a wave the and the wave knocked my graph of the front of my boat. My son and I got drenched. Lucky it did not go into the lake. After that I said no thanks and did not try that again.. Somethings are just not worth it.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 03:07 AM

A coworker if mine knows one of the guys and was telling me about this at lunch today, supposedly there were 3 good sized fellows in a Jon boat, non having life jackets on.
They are lucky to be alive.
I was on Fork Saturday and Sunday fishing the Elliott Electric tourney. Making the run from little Mustang to Ray Branch was hairy in a 21' Legend and we was on the protected side of the lake.

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Nate
Yes, there was a capsized boat on Fork. I was in it. We were going to set trotlines for a charity event. Launched in a calm cove, only had to go around one point to another cove. We estimated we would be in rough water for only about 2 min. That was a minute in a half too much. A freak series of waves came over the front of the boat in a matter of seconds and turned the boat over. It was very cold to say the least. We hung on for dear life for appox 45 min to an hour screaming for help. Two boats heard our calls for help and rescued us. By the time we were pulled in the rescuer's boat, we had zero energy left and hypothermia was setting in. Thank God these kind souls risked their own life saving ours. I will be eternally grateful. Hindsight 20/20, it wasn't a good idea to go out but we were on a time crunch. If anyone know's the kind souls who saved us, I would certainly like to know so I could personally thank them.

Glad you guys made it home safely. That had to be scary.
Posted By: elsmaxfli

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 04:12 AM

Thank you THSBA for not making us choose between fishing and safety. Most men will choose wrong!! Glad everyone is safe.
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 01:18 PM

Glad you made it ok.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/17/18 01:40 PM

Nate, glad you’re safe! 45 minutes in the water was bad news. Were you not close enough to shore to cut that time down? In a situation like that, I would gladly trespass to be safe and call authorities.

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/18/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: hunter1st
Thanks Nate, glad it worked out, any words of wisdom for those of us that are less experienced?

Don't panic, make sure everyone is ok before formulating a plan of action. I'll have a whistle attached to my PFD from this point forward.

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/18/18 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Nate, glad you’re safe! 45 minutes in the water was bad news. Were you not close enough to shore to cut that time down? In a situation like that, I would gladly trespass to be safe and call authorities.

We were about 200 yds from shore. I tried to swim but the waves were too much. I didn't care about trespassing at that point either.

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/18/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff From Iowa
Glad your ok Nate, how did the waves come over the front? off the gas in between the waves?

I can't really tell you how it happened, but it did happen very fast. I only had time to stand up before the boat started to capsize.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/18/18 02:21 PM

Lucky you were on a shallow lake. You should see Broken Bow when it gets rockin'. 3-4 foot waves on top of 3-4 foot swells.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/18/18 04:29 PM

What type and size of boat were you in and how many people (weight) were you carrying??
Posted By: go_cats_go

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/19/18 01:23 AM

Nate, The guy in the Center Console is a good friend of mine and one of nicest guys you’ll ever meet. He was telling me he helped some guys the other day at Fork. If you want his info send me a message.
Posted By: msha1

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/19/18 05:51 PM

Hello Nate. I wouldn't have known about this post if my friend Paul had not brought it to my attention. If ya'll were the ones outside Sun Eagle Bay that was my friend and I. We were the ones in the center console. I would like to say how happy I was to see all of you guys were accounted for, and had your life jackets on. A friend of mine always says something like "It's a good day you get you get back in the same condition you left.' My only regret is we didn't get to you sooner. We heard the sound of your voice but couldn't make out that you were calling for help. My friend's young eyes is the one who saw actually you guys. No thanks needed. I was once where you guys were. I know how bad it sucks. I'm glad Saturday was not your day to go. God Bless,

Mike And Zach

Re: Capsized boat on Fork? - 04/21/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: msha1
Hello Nate. I wouldn't have known about this post if my friend Paul had not brought it to my attention. If ya'll were the ones outside Sun Eagle Bay that was my friend and I. We were the ones in the center console. I would like to say how happy I was to see all of you guys were accounted for, and had your life jackets on. A friend of mine always says something like "It's a good day you get you get back in the same condition you left.' My only regret is we didn't get to you sooner. We heard the sound of your voice but couldn't make out that you were calling for help. My friend's young eyes is the one who saw actually you guys. No thanks needed. I was once where you guys were. I know how bad it sucks. I'm glad Saturday was not your day to go. God Bless,

Mike And Zach

Yes, we were the ones at Sun Eagle Bay. Thank you will never be enough. Ya'll saved our lives. I will be eternally grateful.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum