Texas Fishing Forum

Toledo in the summer

Posted By: Jaredk

Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 12:48 AM

So I think I'm gonna haul the boat from Georgia to the bend this summer to fish with my old man. I've never been there before....any pointers? What kind of fishing should I Expect?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 12:58 AM

Deep water fishing or maybe some grass fishing depending on how the grass is doing. Off shore is a for sure bet though

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 01:09 AM

What is "offshore" on Toledo? Is it ledges for deep cranking & c rigging or is it still shallow offshore. Sorry for the dumb questions...just haven't fished Texas in 15years
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 03:29 AM

Off shore Toledo is 10-20ft up north and 20-30ft down south. If going in the summer may try going at night too. They really stack up out there. Lower the water the better for the offshore stuff

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Off shore Toledo is 10-20ft up north and 20-30ft down south. If going in the summer may try going at night too. They really stack up out there. Lower the water the better for the offshore stuff

Thank you. Anything in particular to look for offshore? My only experience off shore is fishing river ledges offshore at eufaula, just graphing brushpiles on ledges

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: E8C-ENG
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Thank you. Anything in particular to look for offshore? My only experience off shore is fishing river ledges offshore at eufaula, just graphing brushpiles on ledges

Pretty much....if you have humminbird get the lakemaster chip. Look for bait on the ends of point and ridges. Some will have timber on them. Don't be afraid of the river channel in areas either
Posted By: MurraynTx

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 07:59 PM

Best at night around full moon
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 08:07 PM

If you don't feel comfortable searching offshore structure on a strange lake, hit the shallow grass early with top waters and then move to points and flats with grass in 8'-12' depths. Fish Texas rigged worms or spinner baits in the grass and hang on. Summer offers lots of options. I've fished a buzz bait at night along shorelines and done very well for numbers. For size, the offshore humps and ridges in deeper water are more consistent. My fishing has mostly been in Housen and Six Mile areas since 1974.

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 08:39 PM

Thanks guys. Can't wait. How is the lake to navigate? Stumps?
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 09:09 PM

Lots of stumps. Stay in the boat lanes on plane.
Posted By: Brian Schuler

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 09:38 PM

It's full of timber! Stay in the boat lanes!!!!!
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 09:58 PM

Do they have the boat lanes marked like fork??
Posted By: Walls

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Joefishhunter

http://www.boatlanes.com/
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Joefishhunter

Yes they do have buoys in the main lake and in some of the larger coves. If you're in an unmarked area I'd advise you to idle. Don't know where you're staying but you could probably fish all day in Palo Gaucho, Six Mile or Housen Bay. PG is good protection from a south wind.

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 10:20 PM

Time will tell about the grass. High muddy water may kill most if it. Won't know until june

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 10:29 PM

I'll be staying at the state park cabins...descent area?
Posted By: mudd

Re: Toledo in the summer - 04/15/18 10:38 PM

Tons of grass still on the lake. Some will die and others will grow.

There is lots of offshore potential around the state park along with great shallow water fishing year around also. Around there is tons of docks also. Many don’t fish them but I’ve caught better stringers on them then humps at times. Bring you some 10xd and 6xd though for off shore
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum